Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a driver's license in PA?

Getting a driver's license in PA?

Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:11 pm
eof
Just Joined

eof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting a driver's license in PA?

Hey there,

I was wondering how long it takes to get a real license in PA? I understand that by just filling a few forms and getting the written test done, you get a learner's permit. After this you can apparently get a real license by scheduling a road test. There doesn't seem to be a way to directly translate a EU license to a permanent one?

Now my problem is that according to the state's website (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/) you can't take the road test with a rental car. I don't have a car and don't plan on getting one and the only reason I would like to get a license is to be able to rent a car to
explore the area from time to time and to rent a van if/when I move. I've had a EU driver's license for 8 years and I had a car back in Europe, so I really don't need any training.

So how do I schedule this road test if I don't have a car? In my home country you had to take the driving test with a special car that had pedals on the passenger side, as you were not allowed to drive unassisted until you had the license. Any ideas how long it takes to get the road test scheduled? I would hope to be able to get the license in month, but that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a driver's license in PA?

If you use the search button on the yellow bar at the top of the page you will find there have been lots of threads about this, start by taking a look there.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by eof
Hey there,

I was wondering how long it takes to get a real license in PA? I understand that by just filling a few forms and getting the written test done, you get a learner's permit. After this you can apparently get a real license by scheduling a road test. There doesn't seem to be a way to directly translate a EU license to a permanent one?

Now my problem is that according to the state's website (http://www.dot.state.pa.us/) you can't take the road test with a rental car. I don't have a car and don't plan on getting one and the only reason I would like to get a license is to be able to rent a car to
explore the area from time to time and to rent a van if/when I move. I've had a EU driver's license for 8 years and I had a car back in Europe, so I really don't need any training.

So how do I schedule this road test if I don't have a car? In my home country you had to take the driving test with a special car that had pedals on the passenger side, as you were not allowed to drive unassisted until you had the license. Any ideas how long it takes to get the road test scheduled? I would hope to be able to get the license in month, but that might be wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance.
well....I'm not in PA I'm in MI and just passed my road test (after taking the written test the week prior). I was given a list of authorised testers in my local area and shopped around for prices as the State doesn't set the road test fee - the testers do. Most were on or around $50. As far as taking either test, the timing is up to you, in MI though I had to complete both within 90 days.

As far as rental cars, no idea about that here - but one or two of the testers (ones who were from Driving schools as opposed to independents) would let you take the road test in the school's car at a cost of $40. Might be worth checking out.

Good luck
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 3:27 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to take a road test if you have a translation of a valid license from most european countries. I have a PA driver license btw, and it was really quick and easy to get.

Originally Posted by eof
Hey there,

Thanks in advance.