British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting drivers license in Florida? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-drivers-license-florida-878105/)

Ives May 28th 2016 8:39 pm

Getting drivers license in Florida?

Anyone with experience getting this here? The study book for the test is insanely ridiculously detailed.

zzrmark May 28th 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Getting drivers license in Florida?

Are you a seasoned UK driver? If so, you should find it quite easy especially if you've had a reasonably competent local driver showing you the ropes beforehand.
The practical part of the test is a joke - it's off road, with no traffic and (certainly at the test centre I used 6 months ago) the course was so tight that the examiner first stated that I was to keep within the 'road' markings and in the same breath went on to state that it wasn't strictly necessary and that had I turned up in an SUV he'd expect me to cross the lines every so often!! Just make sure that you look over your shoulder ALL the time when performing the reversing manoeuvre, they don't like you using your mirrors!!

The theory test was very wordy but if you are capable of understanding the actual question under all the waffle one of the four multi choice answers is usually the only sensible possible answer. That said, I have been in the centre on several occasions and have yet to see a local pass the test which was updated in the last couple of years.

You will need to take your SSN card with you, apparently their system does not recognise non-SSN holders despite what you may read. Scraping together the required paperwork was probably the most taxing part of the whole thing.

I did a motorcycle course at the same time and had the endorsement put on my license, helpful because Florida considers the course one of several that will qualifies you for a 'safe driver' endorsement (cheaper insurance :thumbsup:)

Good luck

Nutmegger May 28th 2016 9:47 pm

The OP's other post today says he has been in the US for a year. Do you have a license from another state?

Ives May 28th 2016 9:58 pm

It's for my husband who is the UKC, he has an international license and is the sort who never gets around to things! So I'm going to have to just make him an appointment and get out the theory test book online every night and make him practice! I got my FL license soon after moving here but since I had a NY license it was just really a trade in and lots of money.

zzrmark May 28th 2016 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ives (Post 11958637)
It's for my husband who is the UKC, he has an international license

Why would the holder of a license written in English pay for a translation of his license into English???

Pulaski May 28th 2016 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ives (Post 11958637)
It's for my husband who is the UKC, he has an international license and is the sort who never gets around to things! So I'm going to have to just make him an appointment and get out the theory test book online every night and make him practice! I got my FL license soon after moving here but since I had a NY license it was just really a trade in and lots of money.

How long has he been in Florida? If it's a year his UK licence is already invalid for driving in Florida - IIRC Florida gives you 60 days to get a local license, and an "international license doesn't make a jot of difference.

If your husband is still driving on his UK/ international license I recommend that he reduce if not eliminate any driving until he obtains a Florida license, not least because if he is found to be driving without a valid license and has an accident it is quite possible that his insurance will be voided - so that will be another charge in addition to driving without a valid license, and he will be personally liable for any damages - which could bankrupt him if he has severally injured or killed someone. :eek:

Z3usx May 29th 2016 10:48 pm

Hi, I got my drivers license in Florida last week and done both the written and practical in one day.

Before going to the DMV I had to complete a Drug and alcohol awareness course online (cost about $20) which details are on the DMV website and is a prerequisite before applying for a license - this was just reading theory and watching video on how drugs and alcohol affect driving and traffic laws. This for me was the hardest thing as you need to spend a minimum amount of time going through the theory and answering questions (4 hours in total) but it is so boring I found it hard to concentrate - I paid an extra $5 for audio to listen to the text and once complete they send the details to the DMV.

Next I made an appointment at Deerfield Beach DMV for both theory and practical exams.

Once arriving at the DMV I presented my EAD card, Social security, UK passport, UK drivers license and two proofs of address (Apartment Lease and utility bill).

Theory Exam - passed first time with 2 incorrect answers - to prepare I read the Florida drivers manual over 3 days when i got back from work and paid for a DMV test cheat sheet. In hindsight the cheat sheet was a waste of money, the manual and common sense was more than sufficient. The questions I got wrong were two very similar about having to pull over on a highway in different scenarios - I chose pull onto the paved shoulder (I was thinking UK hard shoulder) as opposed to pull off the road. The test was done standing up at a computer terminal.

Practical Test - This is literally done in a car park!!

After getting my eyes checked reading some letters off a card on a machine, getting my photo taken and showing insurance and registration for the car, I was called by my examiner and we walked to the car, She checked the car over noting the tires were all bald (I borrowed a car as I was worried about doing it in my camaro) and asked me to press on the brakes, press the horn and signal left/right. I checked/adjusted my mirrors, put seat belt on and was told to back out of parking space.

Once that was over she got in and instructed me to drive out of the current car park, onto the road for about 200 yards and then into another car park were all I did was: drive around the car park stopping at stop signs, pulled into a parking space (here I think I got a minor mark for not turning off the engine once parked), was asked what I would do if parking on a downward slope with curb to my right (different scenarios are in the manual, just remember to mention to put the hand brake on and turn off the ignition also), backed up in a straight line for a distance and did a 3 point turn. Drove back to the DMV car park, parked up and was told I passed.

The test is no where near as intensive or stressful as a UK drivers test, just ensure that you have all your documents to hand and it will be fine. I stressed way too much, the hardest part for me was getting used to the car i borrowed on the day.

Hope this helps

Steve_ May 30th 2016 1:16 am

Yeah, pretty much my experience although we didn't have that drug awareness thing back then.

Literally (and I'm really not joking) the worst part of the test is leaving the test centre and realizing all the people on the road around you are driving after taking that test. :eek:

I didn't even go on the road at all during my test, didn't need to even cross the road. I took mine in a stick shift and I got into second gear for an absolute maximum of maybe 20 seconds and it wasn't even that long I reckon. Same deal, drove around the parking lot, stopped at a stop sign, pulled into a parking space, backed out and did a three-point turn.

The only real problem I had was that the test examiner weighed 300 lbs (at least) and her thigh was so fat it was hard to reach the gear stick and put it in reverse to back out of the parking space. My car literally tilted over to the right she was so heavy.

It is frighteningly easy. Standing in line with lots of sweaty people isn't fun either.

On the flip side though I have to say the Georgia test was even easier, if such a thing is possible.

katzgar May 30th 2016 3:17 pm

there are people driving on the freeway in south florida that were driving a donkey in the mtns. of colombia a few months ago.

Steve_ Jun 1st 2016 6:02 am

The joke is that they should have flags instead of licence plates so you know which country's road rules they're following. :p

State trooper pulls over a Haitian on I-95.

"Why were you driving so fast?" He asks.
"Well it's I-95, so I was driving 95mph."
:blink:
"Good job you weren't on 441!"

[email protected] Jun 1st 2016 7:31 pm

I got the DMV app. Keep doing it over and over again.In the practical make you stop at a stop sign .Seems obvious but pause for a while . I was told I would be pulled over if caught by police !!
Good luck

zzrmark Jun 1st 2016 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Z3usx (Post 11959316)

Before going to the DMV I had to complete a Drug and alcohol awareness course online (cost about $20) which details are on the DMV website and is a prerequisite before applying for a license

I believe that course is only necessary for younger drivers, it was waived for me when I applied for my license back in November 2015.

slices Jun 7th 2016 1:35 pm

All very reassuring, I've only been here a week so no SS number yet, but will start this process as soon as I do.

ivanidea Feb 15th 2017 9:28 pm

I normally reverse into a parking space (still in the UK), do I need to drive in forward for the test?

Are reversing cameras permitted? The wifes new car has this fitted as standard.

Pulaski Feb 15th 2017 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ivanidea (Post 12180985)
I normally reverse into a parking space (still in the UK), do I need to drive in forward for the test? .....

Do as you are told.

I doubt you will be tested on parking "end on". It is possible you might be asked to parallel park, though by reputation the FL test is easy even by the standards of other states, which are pretty much a joke, so I doubt that you'll be tested on your parking skills.

.... Are reversing cameras permitted? The wifes new car has this fitted as standard.
Lots of cars have them, and anyway they'll be mandatory in 2018, I think. I can't imagine it will be an issue given that you can take the test in an automatic and get a "full" license (there is no "automatic only" license).