Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

getting a doctors appointment

Wikiposts

getting a doctors appointment

Old Jan 19th 2013, 4:26 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting a doctors appointment

RE the suggestions to go back to the UK - the OP might want to check if he's even eligible for free NHS treatment since he now lives in the US. Charged-for NHS care might be doable I guess.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 11:18 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

He wouldn't be a private patient. Did you read any of the links? Here it is in easy terms, this time from CAB

Who can receive all NHS hospital treatment free of charge?

Have come to the UK to take up permanent residence, for example, if you are a former UK resident who has returned from abroad, or if you have been granted leave to enter or remain as a spouse.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...rom_abroad.htm

As to your question about not having a GP, as it said in the NHS link, you register again with a GP.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 12:49 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

We had a previously banned Troll (who is obsessed with healthcare ) totally take over this thread and take it way off tangent. Apologies to the OP.

So I've moved his posts out of this thread so we can get it back on track.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

aaronjamie is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the advice guys, and thanks sue!
i actually, erm, inspected it again and it is actually not any bigger than it was close to a year ago. i was in hypocondriac mode
my wife has just got a new job though, and i will be on her health insurance, so as soon as that comes through i'm going to a doctor for a checkup just to make sure
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaronjamie
thanks for all the advice guys, and thanks sue!
i actually, erm, inspected it again and it is actually not any bigger than it was close to a year ago. i was in hypocondriac mode
my wife has just got a new job though, and i will be on her health insurance, so as soon as that comes through i'm going to a doctor for a checkup just to make sure
Good luck hun, as has been said lots of times on this forum, we are all a chronic illness away from bankruptcy here in the US
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:27 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is presently in the USA as a non-immigrant. He intends to immigrate, but he has not yet applied to do so. From the US point of view he does not yet live here (ask most state motor vehicle agencies).

Don't know how the NHS will look at it if he returns to the UK without having applied for adjustment, but just sayin' how it is.

Glad to learn the latest development, though. Been nervously having the wife do nightly inspections just to be sure I remain OK ...

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by GeoffM
RE the suggestions to go back to the UK - the OP might want to check if he's even eligible for free NHS treatment since he now lives in the US. Charged-for NHS care might be doable I guess.