Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting divorced - advice please..

Wikiposts

Getting divorced - advice please..

Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Michka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really niceMichka is just really nice
Default Re: Getting divorced - advice please..

Firstly, I am so sorry for your situation. Divorce is hard enough emotionally without all the practicality issues being thrown in.

After that, it seems that there are some facts you need to gather, and posting some of them here might help people to advise you further.

1. The $60k debt, what form does this take (student loans, private loans, credit cards, etc) and whose name is it in?

2. What is the situation with your living accommodation (own the property, renting, if so whose name is one the mortgage / lease)?

3. When you filed for your visa did your husband agree the support, or did you get a 3rd party affidavit of support? If so, who filed this?

The good news is that this shouldn't jeopordize your status in any way (that I know of, but some of the more legal bods on the forum might be in a better position to comment).

It seems to me that if you don't have friends / support system in the area you're living in now, then you could expand your search for work to areas that are more public transport friendly. The geographic space might do you good as well.

Seeing an attorney is a very good start, but be careful. My divorce was amicable (mercifully), but attorneys promising the moon and stars and telling us what was "best" or that they were "sure they could get" almost derailed it. In Cali, the bottom line is that you get what the judge on the day gives you unless you make your agreements yourself.

We had a great deal of debt amassed at the end of our marriage, and my XH got most of it because he was in a financial position to pay it and I was not. To be fair, we agreed that between us, and just had the court sign it off, but it can be done.

On that note, I suppose the ultimate question is how reasonable about this is your husband? It doesn't sound like, from your post, that you guys are really talking at the moment. Is that accurate? Seems to me that if you can it would be best for the two of you to sit down together and find a solution that works best for you both. Seeing an attorney will help you clarify some of your rights, but legal rights and reality aren't always the same.

Hope that's helpful, and best of luck.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:19 pm

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Getting divorced - advice please..

How are you doing IngaC?