Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Old Jun 2nd 2016, 4:53 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a countersignature for passport renewal??

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I've never had it checked, but I think they have tightened things uo since my last passport. There was no form to fill out, to the best of my recollection no personal details requested, other than profession. The neighbour that signed mine was a preacher in an African American church in Oakland, CA. Rev. Jim. Probably not the kind of cleric the CofE would recognize.
To be honest I haven't renewed my UK passport in in over 20 years. I use my US passport, I couldn't leave and reenter the US on a UK passport anyway, so what's the point. I'll renew my UK as and when I need to.
I always enter the UK on my UK passport - I may just be being paranoid, but if anything were to happen which delayed my return (mother's getting on a bit now, after all!) I don't want to have to be worrying about whether or not I can stay etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
I always enter the UK on my UK passport - I may just be being paranoid, but if anything were to happen which delayed my return (mother's getting on a bit now, after all!) I don't want to have to be worrying about whether or not I can stay etc.
You have a British passport so, whether you use it on entry to the UK or not, you are entitled to stay!
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

They say it's got to be a 'professional' but it's fine to use a boss. My hubby did for his first UK passport and he got it fine. His manager is a UK passport holder though and put his passport number.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:51 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
You have a British passport so, whether you use it on entry to the UK or not, you are entitled to stay!
I know - and that's what I meant when I said I was probably being paranoid! I just prefer not to enter my country of citizenship on a visitor's passport
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I know - and that's what I meant when I said I was probably being paranoid! I just prefer not to enter my country of citizenship on a visitor's passport
OH (who left the UK in 1963 & always travels there on his CDN passport) has had it pointed out to him multiple times at border control that he's eligible for a Brit passport.

His response is always "Thank you. If & when I decide to move back to the UK I'll make sure to get one & come in on it".
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

How does that work, leaving on on a UK passport and returning on a US passport. Wouldn't you have to return on your US passport.

I'm just too lazy and too stingy to renew my UK passport.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Avoiding the "reciprocity fee" that Argentina charges US citizens (but not UK citizens) more than paid for the cost of my British passport. A couple of other South American countries charge the fee to US citizens as well.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:00 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

How does that work, leaving on on a UK passport and returning on a US passport. Wouldn't you have to return on your US passport.

I leave and re-enter the US on my US passport, because it's required - I only use the UK passport at immigration in the UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Avoiding the "reciprocity fee" that Argentina charges US citizens (but not UK citizens) more than paid for the cost of my British passport. A couple of other South American countries charge the fee to US citizens as well.
If I ever go to Argentina I might renew.

Last edited by johnwoo; Jun 2nd 2016 at 6:11 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I leave and re-enter the US on my US passport, because it's required - I only use the UK passport at immigration in the UK.
I guess it works, I had always thought that might cause problems with US immigration.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If I ever go to Argentina I might renew, but how does it work, do leave on the US passport and enter Argentina on the UK. Would have thought that would be problematic.
Why? ..... It isn't. You just show whichever passport you want, subject to any legal restrictions, such as the US requirement for US citizens to enter the US using their US passport.

It is usually necessary for a US citizen to show their US passport when they check in for a flight to the US otherwise the airline will expect to see an ESTA or visa and would otherwise likely refuse to fly them to the US.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 6:14 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

I guess it works, I had always thought that might cause problems with US immigration.
As far as I'm aware, they neither know nor care which passport I use once I'm out of their jurisdiction. Of course, I need to use the US passport at check in for my return flight, because the airline asks for your US immigration status.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

As far as I'm aware, they neither know nor care which passport I use once I'm out of their jurisdiction. Of course, I need to use the US passport at check in for my return flight, because the airline asks for your US immigration status.
Apparently they don't care, I just thought they would. I had presumed the US government would want know what everyone up to when they are overseas. The NSA seem to want to know what everyone is up to all the time.
If I ever want to switch passports in midair now I know I can. If I get into any trouble I will blame you.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Why? ..... It isn't. You just show whichever passport you want, subject to any legal restrictions, such as the US requirement for US citizens to enter the US using their US passport.

It is usually necessary for a US citizen to show their US passport when they check in for a flight to the US otherwise the airline will expect to see an ESTA or visa and would otherwise likely refuse to fly them to the US.
Exactly. The basic approach I use is on departure show the airline the passport you will be entering the arrival country on (e.g. when I flew to Argentina I showed them my British passport, otherwise they would similarly have wanted evidence I had paid the Argentinian reciprocity fee in advance before allowing me to fly), and then to enter the country using that passport. I've never had an issue using my British passport to enter non-US countries, and then using my US passport to checkin and re-enter the US.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jun 2nd 2016 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2016, 9:15 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Apparently they don't care, I just thought they would. I had presumed the US government would want know what everyone up to when they are overseas. The NSA seem to want to know what everyone is up to all the time.
If I ever want to switch passports in midair now I know I can. If I get into any trouble I will blame you.
*Cough* The information provided in this message is intended for entertainment purposes only and should not be considered legal advice *cough*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.