Reload this Page >

Getting cash from UK to US

Getting cash from UK to US

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

moving2nyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting cash from UK to US

Hi All,

I've searched around but can't find any info on the best way to transfer money to the US from UK.

I've got a US credit card but my money is still paid into my Lloyds bank account in the UK.

So I need to transfer money from the UK to US once a month to pay off the card.

Thanks for any ideas
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting cash from UK to US

Originally Posted by moving2nyc
I've searched around but can't find any info on the best way to transfer money to the US from UK.
Then you haven't looked very hard.

There are several threads a week started on the subject in this forum alone.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 11:20 am
Just Joined

daisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the roughdaisy30uk is a jewel in the rough

I can't profess to have used this system myself because we are still in the process of organising our relocation and on the basis of thinking that this might be something I need to know in the future, I've done a search on this forum to see whether there are any recommendations.

It seems that a popular method is to use xe.com - its a website that I've often used to calculate exchange rates but didn't realise it also did money transfers. Other forum users have said that they have used this and it is reliable and secure - so certainly worth looking at.

If you are having trouble searching on the forum (and I did until this morning because I didn't realise you could narrow down the search fields!) is to select search then advanced search which will allow you to select which forums you want the search to run on - that meant I didn't have to wade through posts on Italy and Australia but could immediately see more relevant results.

HTH

Karen
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 12:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisy30uk
I can't profess to have used this system myself because we are still in the process of organising our relocation and on the basis of thinking that this might be something I need to know in the future, I've done a search on this forum to see whether there are any recommendations.

It seems that a popular method is to use xe.com - its a website that I've often used to calculate exchange rates but didn't realise it also did money transfers. Other forum users have said that they have used this and it is reliable and secure - so certainly worth looking at.

If you are having trouble searching on the forum (and I did until this morning because I didn't realise you could narrow down the search fields!) is to select search then advanced search which will allow you to select which forums you want the search to run on - that meant I didn't have to wade through posts on Italy and Australia but could immediately see more relevant results.

HTH

Karen
When using the Search Function you can narrow it down to specific forums. At the bottom right hand side of the page is a large box displaying the names of all the forums...highlight the forum you want to search.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

xe.com sort out a contract for a fixed rate, transfer money to US bank account monthly....a recommendation usually made every other day.