Reload this Page >

Getting Ca. driver license...

Getting Ca. driver license...

Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

blue_skies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Ca. driver license...

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on auto issues... I recently arrived in California on a tourist visa, waiting for my O-1 to come through. I'm currently driving a rental car on my British license, but planned to buy a used vehicle, register it, and take the CA driving test ASAP (those of you driving a rental with full coverage know how quickly it adds up!). But checking through the DMV requirements, they demand a 'legal presence' proof before you can get the license; this trip, for some reason, we were put through immigration without an I-94 form. I have the passport stamp, etc, just no I-94 proof of legal tourist status!

So what do you advise? I can buy and register the car without the CA license, even get insurance too (pricey, but still), so should I just go ahead and buy the car now, but wait until my O-1 visa is approved, and I exit/re-enter the country on it before I get the CA license? Since I suppose, technically, I'm not a state resident if I'm on the tourist visa right now - I'm not working, and don't own property or pay taxes (I will once the visa comes, but that could be another month). They say you should get a Californian license within 10 days, but if the fine isn't too big, it might be worth fudging it as a 'tourist' for the next month until my visa is sorted.

(And if anyone has specific experience of auto insurance in California/LA, that would be great!)

Thanks,
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Ca. driver license...

Originally Posted by blue_skies
Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on auto issues... I recently arrived in California on a tourist visa, waiting for my O-1 to come through. I'm currently driving a rental car on my British license, but planned to buy a used vehicle, register it, and take the CA driving test ASAP (those of you driving a rental with full coverage know how quickly it adds up!). But checking through the DMV requirements, they demand a 'legal presence' proof before you can get the license; this trip, for some reason, we were put through immigration without an I-94 form. I have the passport stamp, etc, just no I-94 proof of legal tourist status!

So what do you advise? I can buy and register the car without the CA license, even get insurance too (pricey, but still), so should I just go ahead and buy the car now, but wait until my O-1 visa is approved, and I exit/re-enter the country on it before I get the CA license? Since I suppose, technically, I'm not a state resident if I'm on the tourist visa right now - I'm not working, and don't own property or pay taxes (I will once the visa comes, but that could be another month). They say you should get a Californian license within 10 days, but if the fine isn't too big, it might be worth fudging it as a 'tourist' for the next month until my visa is sorted.

(And if anyone has specific experience of auto insurance in California/LA, that would be great!)

Thanks,
Unless I am reading your post wrong - First of all, you need to get the I-94 for your toursist visa. Its the most important document ever

Second, I am not sure DMV will entertain the I-94 even if you had one. You are not a CA resident as you are a tourist which means you can drive on British license and CA will not issue you a CA license (stand corrected).
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I recently arrived in California on a tourist visa...
I'm willing to bet you didn't.

I have the passport stamp, etc, just no I-94 proof of legal tourist status!
Tourists don't get driver's licenses.

They say you should get a Californian license within 10 days...
I believe that's "within 10 days of becoming a resident". You aren't a resident... you're just a tourist.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that you don't have an I-94 because you didn't enter on a visa. Entries on the Visa Waiver Program no longer receive an I-94W card.
Tourists are generally barred from getting a driver's license in any case.

You're NOT a resident in California and you don't "live" there. You are a tourist.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I suspect that you don't have an I-94 because you didn't enter on a visa. Entries on the Visa Waiver Program no longer receive an I-94W card. Tourists are generally barred from getting a driver's license in any case.

You're NOT a resident in California and you don't "live" there. You are a tourist.

That would be something fairly new right? Few months ago, I entered in VWP and I did get a green color I-94
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:17 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
That would be something fairly new right? Few months ago, I entered in VWP and I did get a green color I-94
Yes, it's fairly new. VWP entries get a date in their passport now.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

blue_skies is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I meant Visa Waiver, rather than tourist visa - so if they no longer give I-94s for VW then that must be the reason! I was out here in April and got the I-94, so it's pretty new.

It looks like there's nothing right now saying I need to get the license, since officially I am a tourist, even if I'm planning ahead for when my O-1 comes through. I thought that registering the vehicle might be a sign of residency, but I'll dig deeper in the DMV website, and if not, then I'm all-clear for now!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I meant Visa Waiver, rather than tourist visa - so if they no longer give I-94s for VW then that must be the reason! I was out here in April and got the I-94, so it's pretty new.

It looks like there's nothing right now saying I need to get the license, since officially I am a tourist, even if I'm planning ahead for when my O-1 comes through. I thought that registering the vehicle might be a sign of residency, but I'll dig deeper in the DMV website, and if not, then I'm all-clear for now!
Dude, you are ok. Just drive on British License.

You may want to contact American Express UK see if they have a 30 day insurance (not including liability coverage) like the AE USA cards do.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

Prof_Yaffel will become famous soon enough

Unless I am reading your post wrong - First of all, you need to get the I-94 for your toursist visa. Its the most important document ever

Second, I am not sure DMV will entertain the I-94 even if you had one. You are not a CA resident as you are a tourist which means you can drive on British license and CA will not issue you a CA license (stand corrected).

A white I-94 card was fine for my wife a couple of months ago.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Prof_Yaffel
Was fine for what?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Was fine for what?
Getting a driving licence as the topic and quoted post mentioned
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:39 pm

I'm sure it was. But VWP entrants never got a white I-94 card, they got a green I-94W card, and they don't get it anymore.

Your wife was probably not a tourist when she got her DL?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sure it was. But VWP entrants never got a white I-94 card, they got a green I-94W card, and they don't get it anymore.

Your wife was probably not a tourist when she got her DL?
Oh goodness me. I was only replying in my original post when someone said an I-94 card might not be enough. .I do wish I hadn't bothered now.
No, she wasn't a tourist and I know VWP never received white I-94 cards
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting a driving licence as the topic and quoted post mentioned
No way on a tourist visa though?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

No way on a tourist visa though?
No, not on a tourist visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.