Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting a bank account and car insurance

Getting a bank account and car insurance

Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:23 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting a bank account and car insurance

I hope this helps clear up the SNN issue with banks:

http://www.ago.state.co.us/idtheft/ssn.cfm

Banks and securities brokerages -- under the USA Patriot Act, 31 U.S.C. § 5318, financial institutions are required to establish minimum standards for properly identifying their customers opening new accounts (include checking, savings, loans, safe deposit boxes, and/or investments). Under federal regulations adopted in May 2003, banks, savings associations, credit unions, securities broker-dealers, futures commissions merchants, and mutual funds were required to have Customer Identification Programs (“CIPs”) in place by October 1, 2003. Information required to identify customers under a CIP includes name, date of birth, address, and a social security or federal tax identification number;

http://www.gcglaw.com/resources/fina...ification.html

The Rule requires banks to obtain an identification number from every customer opening an account. For U.S. persons, that identifying number must be a social security number or a taxpayer identification number (TIN). There are no exceptions. Agency guidance on the implementation of the Rule has indicated that even members of sects, such as the Amish, that do not want to be identified by a number, still will be required to provide a social security number at account opening. As to the timing of obtaining the identification number, the Rule provides that in those circumstances in which a person has applied for, but has not yet received a TIN, a bank’s CIP may provide for procedures to confirm that the TIN has been applied for and that the TIN is received within a reasonable period of time after the account is opened.

Because there is no uniform identification number that non-U.S. persons are able to provide to a bank, a bank has the option to obtain a variety of identification numbers from non-U.S. persons, including passport numbers and country of issuance and alien identification numbers. A bank must decide for itself, based upon appropriate risk factors, whether the information presented by the customer enables the bank to establish a reasonable belief that it knows the true identity of the customer.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America will open an account with a passport and no SSN if thats of any help to anyone!
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
Bank of America will open an account with a passport and no SSN if thats of any help to anyone!
Remember all the fuss a month or so ago when they launched a credit card aimed at illegals.

One of the requirements was that they had had a current account for so long, and be definition they will not have valid SSN's.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

MHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really niceMHolkham is just really nice

My husband applied for an ein number before we left the UK. We opened a bank account while on visit here because of the ein number it was possible. We used my sister's address. We also applied for a ss number while on visit he already had his green card so was no problem. Once we moved here, all he had to do was go and take his driving test. We then bought an auto and was able to get insurance straight away. We then bought a house for which we paid cash so no problem there. It takes a bit of planning but it can be smooth.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

NinjaTariq is an unknown quantity at this point

I am married to a US citizen, living in the states waiting for my green card...

I called Bank of America and they said they will not do it without a SSN. However I also called HSBC, closest branch is about 100 miles away in Philly and they said they would open with just my passport.

I am going to call Citizens bank tomorrow which is much closer, part of the rbs group.

Shame about Bank of America, the only bank within walking distance.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NinjaTariq
I am married to a US citizen, living in the states waiting for my green card...

I called Bank of America and they said they will not do it without a SSN. However I also called HSBC, closest branch is about 100 miles away in Philly and they said they would open with just my passport.

I am going to call Citizens bank tomorrow which is much closer, part of the rbs group.

Shame about Bank of America, the only bank within walking distance.
Go back to BoA and insist on speaking to someone higher up. The bods on the floor know diddly squatt.

Quote them the law as posted by Penguinsix.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

We did, before i even read this post... Seems that they will accept me.

Makes life easier, i can walk to the bank if i need it.

Now i just need to get my pay every month from the UK, but thats much easier once i have a US bank account.

Thanks guys...
Old Apr 15th 2007, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
Go back to BoA and insist on speaking to someone higher up. The bods on the floor know diddly squatt.

Quote them the law as posted by Penguinsix.
errr like on the 30th floor

dunno i'm in a giggly mood today
Old May 13th 2007, 10:57 am
Banned

SeeYouLaterAligator is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you need to be in the states to open these type of accounts or is there a way to open a US Bank account from the UK - so you will have it for when you move over.

I know that many UK banks are in relationships with US banks, so is it possible to go into a UK bank to open an US account? not sure which bank to use.

I'm so confused but we need to send some money to the states to help with getting our house. We wont have our visa for a few more months.

thanks

Ali
Old May 13th 2007, 11:18 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator
Do you need to be in the states to open these type of accounts or is there a way to open a US Bank account from the UK - so you will have it for when you move over.

I know that many UK banks are in relationships with US banks, so is it possible to go into a UK bank to open an US account? not sure which bank to use.

I'm so confused but we need to send some money to the states to help with getting our house. We wont have our visa for a few more months.

thanks

Ali
You could open a dollar account with citibank in the UK ...
But on his next visit just go into Wachovia if you have one near you ...
prettiest much the easiest it seems ...
Old May 14th 2007, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

MarkLB is an unknown quantity at this point

I was going to make a new thread for my question but it's related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

I have a credit card that I will be transfering the balance on to another card soon (I'm one of the 0% 6 months balance transfer jumpers!) but towards the end of the year my K1-visa should be approved so I will be taking my credit card to the US with me. Could anyone give me some useful pointers or their experiences with the credit cards that they took with them and how they went about paying off the balance? I have an MBNA europe card at the moment which is very good and as with other cards they can be paid over the internet. Is this the only way to do this? Or please don't tell me that the balance has to be paid off in full before you go!
Old May 14th 2007, 2:56 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Live within your means young man ....
Paying it off is a very good idea ...
Old May 14th 2007, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

I live in the US, I have a Amex and my cahoot card back in the UK. I am waiting for my green card at the moment, but get paid in the UK.

Amex is good, they will just transfer your card and balance over here as long as you have a SSN. I can call the US customer services and they will help me out while my account is still in the UK. They are so helpful.

Cahoot sucks, they hate the fact I am not in the UK, and will be closing my account for me if I stay in the US any longer than June.

MBNA shouldn't be too bad, I have found companies which operate in both countries to be quite helpful (like my current US bank HSBC). You might want to call MBNA, they might be able to do something. Since i get paid in the UK, I have the reverse problem because i live in the US, but its been no real problem.

But i agree with Ray, pay it off and start fresh here if you can. I couldn't but if you can you should.

Tariq
Old May 14th 2007, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SeeYouLaterAligator

thanks

Ali
HSBC allow you to create an account in the UK from the US end, not sure if you can do it the other way round. As long as you are moving to the east coast you shouldn't be too far away from an HSBC branch either, there are plenty of them around. Since HSBC is in both countries it just makes it that much easier to bank at both ends.

Royal Bank of Scotland own Citizens Bank in the US, you might be able to do something through them. I would have looked into them if I had not got my HSBC account.

Transfering the money is not really the problem, I have used a few third party websites to do it. So its just opening the account. I would speak to HSBC, they seemed to be very helpful when i went through the process from this end. Barclays apparently are good for international banking, but don't think you could open an account here, i heard once you have a Bank of America account it works well.
Old May 14th 2007, 3:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkLB
I was going to make a new thread for my question but it's related to this thread so I'll ask it here.

I have a credit card that I will be transfering the balance on to another card soon (I'm one of the 0% 6 months balance transfer jumpers!) but towards the end of the year my K1-visa should be approved so I will be taking my credit card to the US with me. Could anyone give me some useful pointers or their experiences with the credit cards that they took with them and how they went about paying off the balance? I have an MBNA europe card at the moment which is very good and as with other cards they can be paid over the internet. Is this the only way to do this? Or please don't tell me that the balance has to be paid off in full before you go!
MBNA don't exist anymore and BOA are an arse in comparison...but most will still let you pay it off online, though might be easier to set up a DD from your UK bank account and then just transfer a wedge of cash into that every once in a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.