Reload this Page >

Getting an apartment in Houston

Getting an apartment in Houston

Old Apr 17th 2012, 1:29 am
Just Joined

boomy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting an apartment in Houston

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might be able to give me some info on my problem.

My family and I are moving to Houston in July. We are green card holders and have our ssn. We are all moving over together, but I will be getting a reentry visa, so I can come back to Australia and continue working in my job for about 6 months (while I finish my Masters). My wife and child will stay in Houston. My wife wants to settle my child in school first and then get a job. Now the dilemma is trying to get an apartment. As she does not want to work until our child is in school (which probably should take a couple of weeks, until he is settled) and I will be working in Australia, do you think there will be any problem in getting an apartment and me showing my job details here in Australia.

Thanks
Old Apr 17th 2012, 2:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting an apartment in Houston

What's your credit history like? That's usually the stumbling block.

If you've got a letter from your employer saying you earn x amount and it covers the rent and the usual out goings, it probably won't be a problem and you can always ask to put down a larger deposit in escrow if needed.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 7:53 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting an apartment in Houston

Originally Posted by Bob
What's your credit history like? That's usually the stumbling block.

If you've got a letter from your employer saying you earn x amount and it covers the rent and the usual out goings, it probably won't be a problem and you can always ask to put down a larger deposit in escrow if needed.
I didn't have a problem with credit but they did want to know about job stability for me so my company wrote to them explaining that I'd been transferred here to set up an office, I would be earning x amount etc etc.

I had to put down 3 months rent in lieu of no credit (well first months, last months and security). It was all returned to me though.

I used a realtor, rather than going through an apartment complex, I think that actually made it easier for me. I'll think you'll have to convince them that your intention is to stay in Houston though and going back to Australia to work may count against you in that regard.