Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:42 am
  #1  
Peace onion
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

I know, I know. It's just a stupid, commercialized sport. But I am really excited. After reading Fever Pitch many years ago, I finally understand sporting obsession. I have latched onto the Atlanta Falcons emotionally. (I've been a fan since 1996, but it's really kicked in in the last five years.)

I feel attached to the team. Irrationally so. That somehow I am part of a tribe, and these athletic strangers represent me and my fellow fans.

I never felt this way about football. Yes, I love internationals and the UEFA and World Cups. But this is my team. The Dirty Birds. Cold weather. Drama. Excitement. Statistics. Athleticism. Yes please. Come soon, Sept 9th.
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:55 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,847
HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

I am sure you'll be well satisfied.

I personally have little understanding of the game. I've been here nearly 2 years. Have yet to go to a game or see one on TV. I don't know the rules either. Shame on me! I'm sure it's not really rugby for wimps who like padding(!)
HarryTheSpider is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:57 am
  #3  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hops capital of...well hops festival
Posts: 10,638
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I know, I know. It's just a stupid, commercialized sport. But I am really excited. After reading Fever Pitch many years ago, I finally understand sporting obsession. I have latched onto the Atlanta Falcons emotionally. (I've been a fan since 1996, but it's really kicked in in the last five years.)

I feel attached to the team. Irrationally so. That somehow I am part of a tribe, and these athletic strangers represent me and my fellow fans.

I never felt this way about football. Yes, I love internationals and the UEFA and World Cups. But this is my team. The Dirty Birds. Cold weather. Drama. Excitement. Statistics. Athleticism. Yes please. Come soon, Sept 9th.
Your local team just signed one of the best QBs ever.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:24 am
  #4  
Peace onion
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Peyton Manning? The old man is a good QB - a great one even - but quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in another class.

Not to say Joe Montana and John Elway.... this is silly. The game has changed. More protection for the QBs these days.
Which has resulted in far more yards attempted and completed. The skill level has increased, in my opinion.

Anyway, Ryan is my man. Although I really like the little undrafted kid, Dominic Davis. He is looking great for a rookie.

I should tip my hat to Brett Favre too.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 25th 2012 at 5:36 am.
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:34 am
  #5  
Peace onion
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider View Post
I am sure you'll be well satisfied.

I personally have little understanding of the game. I've been here nearly 2 years. Have yet to go to a game or see one on TV. I don't know the rules either. Shame on me! I'm sure it's not really rugby for wimps who like padding(!)
It's very simple. Each team is split into three units. The offense, run by the quarterback, whose job it is to possess the ball and score. The defense, typically captained by a linebacker, who comes on the field to try and stop the opposing offense when they have the ball. And the special teams unit, which does kick-offs, punts, field goals, conversion points after a touchdown.

Touchdown - 6 pts.
Conversion kick after TD - 1 pt.
Field goal - 3 points.
Safety (tackling the opposing QB in the endzone) - 2 points.

If you're on offense, you get 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt is called a down. 1st and 10 means 1st down (attempt) and ten yards to go.

Let's say the offense runs the ball 4 yards before the "play" ends, now we're at 2nd down and 6. Meaning in order to keep going, the offense has to make 6 yards in three plays or less, otherwise they will surrender the ball to the other team.

If they make those 6 yards, or more, they can start again. They get another four "downs" to keep advancing. It's very simple, although the game be very complex too.

Don't get hung up on the pads thing. Cue the armored wankball jokes. Yes, rugby players are very macho, very tough. I've played both sports and I'm not disputing that. American football is a collision sport. There are some phenomenally gifted players. Enjoy the spectacle and the strategy. It fits on TV well, like snooker and tennis. Enjoy!
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:34 am
  #6  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hops capital of...well hops festival
Posts: 10,638
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
Peyton Manning? The old man is a good QB - a great one even - but quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in another class.

Not to say Joe Montana and John Elway.... this is silly. The game has changed. More protection for the QBs these days.
Which has resulted in far more yards attempted and completed. The skill level has increased, in my opinion.

Anyway, Ryan is my man. Although I really like the little undrafted kid Dominic Davis is looking phenomenal for a rookie.

I should tip my hat to Brett Favre too.
Peyton is old, but if given a good O line and recievers he should still be able to pick defenses apart. Add Steve Young.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:37 am
  #7  
Peace onion
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Beaverstate View Post
Peyton is old, but if given a good O line and recievers he should still be able to pick defenses apart. Add Steve Young.
Didn't he take over from Joe Montana?

There have been so many great players. Guys like Jerry Rice, Mike Alstott (personal favorite), Terry Bradshaw, Walter Payton. Remember watching the NFL on Channel Four with the Sweetness and Mick Luckhurst.

Oh, and I can guarantee there'll be a Gangnam Style endzone dance. Whoop! Whoop!

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 25th 2012 at 5:47 am.
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:16 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,847
HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
It's very simple. Each team is split into three units. The offense, run by the quarterback, whose job it is to possess the ball and score. The defense, typically captained by a linebacker, who comes on the field to try and stop the opposing offense when they have the ball. And the special teams unit, which does kick-offs, punts, field goals, conversion points after a touchdown.

Touchdown - 6 pts.
Conversion kick after TD - 1 pt.
Field goal - 3 points.
Safety (tackling the opposing QB in the endzone) - 2 points.

If you're on offense, you get 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt is called a down. 1st and 10 means 1st down (attempt) and ten yards to go.

Let's say the offense runs the ball 4 yards before the "play" ends, now we're at 2nd down and 6. Meaning in order to keep going, the offense has to make 6 yards in three plays or less, otherwise they will surrender the ball to the other team.

If they make those 6 yards, or more, they can start again. They get another four "downs" to keep advancing. It's very simple, although the game be very complex too.

Don't get hung up on the pads thing. Cue the armored wankball jokes. Yes, rugby players are very macho, very tough. I've played both sports and I'm not disputing that. American football is a collision sport. There are some phenomenally gifted players. Enjoy the spectacle and the strategy. It fits on TV well, like snooker and tennis. Enjoy!
Thanks hugely - that actually makes sense AND sounds good too!!
HarryTheSpider is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:24 am
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
penguinsix's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong, mostly.
Posts: 5,129
penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

If you don't understand the game, the best solution is a Playstation or Xbox with Madden NFL Football. You'll start to pick up the concepts and even some of the more advanced nuances.

By the way, according to some papers the NFL might be moving a team to London full-time soon.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-georgia...-get-nfl-team/
penguinsix is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:39 am
  #10  
Peace onion
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,686
Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

I think that would be a bad decision. They're already taxing the players enough with Thursday games throughout the season. Adding in a 5 hour time difference is just cruel. I just don't see it happening. And, as much as I want to share enthusiasm for the game, I think this would be detrimental.
Octang Frye is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:42 am
  #11  
Joined on April fools day
 
Beaverstate's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Hops capital of...well hops festival
Posts: 10,638
Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
I think that would be a bad decision. They're already taxing the players enough with Thursday games throughout the season. Adding in a 5 hour time difference is just cruel. I just don't see it happening. And, as much as I want to share enthusiasm for the game, I think this would be detrimental.
Agree. just imagine London flying to Seattle for a game, or the other way around.
Beaverstate is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 2:06 pm
  #12  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,753
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye View Post
Didn't he take over from Joe Montana?

There have been so many great players. Guys like Jerry Rice, Mike Alstott (personal favorite), Terry Bradshaw, Walter Payton. Remember watching the NFL on Channel Four with the Sweetness and Mick Luckhurst.

Oh, and I can guarantee there'll be a Gangnam Style endzone dance. Whoop! Whoop!
Warren Moon
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:27 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
sir_eccles's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 8,106
sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

It helps when you have an emotional investment in a team. When I married my wife I became a Kansas city chiefs fan no choice about it. I have to say going to see games at Arrowhead stadium is an awesome experience. I just wish the team was better.
sir_eccles is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 3:48 pm
  #14  
 
Sugarmooma's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 18,753
Sugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond reputeSugarmooma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by sir_eccles View Post
It helps when you have an emotional investment in a team. When I married my wife I became a Kansas city chiefs fan no choice about it. I have to say going to see games at Arrowhead stadium is an awesome experience. I just wish the team was better.
When we first came here we were Houston Oiler fans (hence the Warren Moon comment) but they upped and left town and we had a few years of being Cowboy wannabe's just for the Texas factor but eventually we got our team back and now we have the Houston Texans
Sugarmooma is offline  
Old Aug 25th 2012, 4:50 pm
  #15  
 
lansbury's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Posts: 9,541
lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

This time next Saturday I shall be heading down I-5 to Corvallis, start of the PAC-12 college football season. Much more affordable to have a season ticket for college football, and quite often easier to travel to games. I wonder how many supporters of the various NFL teams actually go to a game.
lansbury is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.