British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/getting-antsy-waiting-new-nfl-season-769417/)

Octang Frye Aug 25th 2012 4:42 am

Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

I know, I know. It's just a stupid, commercialized sport. But I am really excited. After reading Fever Pitch many years ago, I finally understand sporting obsession. I have latched onto the Atlanta Falcons emotionally. (I've been a fan since 1996, but it's really kicked in in the last five years.)

I feel attached to the team. Irrationally so. That somehow I am part of a tribe, and these athletic strangers represent me and my fellow fans.

I never felt this way about football. Yes, I love internationals and the UEFA and World Cups. But this is my team. The Dirty Birds. Cold weather. Drama. Excitement. Statistics. Athleticism. Yes please. Come soon, Sept 9th.

HarryTheSpider Aug 25th 2012 4:55 am

Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

I am sure you'll be well satisfied.

I personally have little understanding of the game. I've been here nearly 2 years. Have yet to go to a game or see one on TV. I don't know the rules either. Shame on me! I'm sure it's not really rugby for wimps who like padding(!)

Beaverstate Aug 25th 2012 4:57 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 10245474)
I know, I know. It's just a stupid, commercialized sport. But I am really excited. After reading Fever Pitch many years ago, I finally understand sporting obsession. I have latched onto the Atlanta Falcons emotionally. (I've been a fan since 1996, but it's really kicked in in the last five years.)

I feel attached to the team. Irrationally so. That somehow I am part of a tribe, and these athletic strangers represent me and my fellow fans.

I never felt this way about football. Yes, I love internationals and the UEFA and World Cups. But this is my team. The Dirty Birds. Cold weather. Drama. Excitement. Statistics. Athleticism. Yes please. Come soon, Sept 9th.

Your local team just signed one of the best QBs ever.

Octang Frye Aug 25th 2012 5:24 am

Peyton Manning? The old man is a good QB - a great one even - but quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in another class.

Not to say Joe Montana and John Elway.... this is silly. The game has changed. More protection for the QBs these days.
Which has resulted in far more yards attempted and completed. The skill level has increased, in my opinion.

Anyway, Ryan is my man. Although I really like the little undrafted kid, Dominic Davis. He is looking great for a rookie.

I should tip my hat to Brett Favre too.

Octang Frye Aug 25th 2012 5:34 am

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider (Post 10245485)
I am sure you'll be well satisfied.

I personally have little understanding of the game. I've been here nearly 2 years. Have yet to go to a game or see one on TV. I don't know the rules either. Shame on me! I'm sure it's not really rugby for wimps who like padding(!)

It's very simple. Each team is split into three units. The offense, run by the quarterback, whose job it is to possess the ball and score. The defense, typically captained by a linebacker, who comes on the field to try and stop the opposing offense when they have the ball. And the special teams unit, which does kick-offs, punts, field goals, conversion points after a touchdown.

Touchdown - 6 pts.
Conversion kick after TD - 1 pt.
Field goal - 3 points.
Safety (tackling the opposing QB in the endzone) - 2 points.

If you're on offense, you get 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt is called a down. 1st and 10 means 1st down (attempt) and ten yards to go.

Let's say the offense runs the ball 4 yards before the "play" ends, now we're at 2nd down and 6. Meaning in order to keep going, the offense has to make 6 yards in three plays or less, otherwise they will surrender the ball to the other team.

If they make those 6 yards, or more, they can start again. They get another four "downs" to keep advancing. It's very simple, although the game be very complex too.

Don't get hung up on the pads thing. Cue the armored wankball jokes. Yes, rugby players are very macho, very tough. I've played both sports and I'm not disputing that. American football is a collision sport. There are some phenomenally gifted players. Enjoy the spectacle and the strategy. It fits on TV well, like snooker and tennis. Enjoy!

Beaverstate Aug 25th 2012 5:34 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 10245508)
Peyton Manning? The old man is a good QB - a great one even - but quarterbacks like Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are in another class.

Not to say Joe Montana and John Elway.... this is silly. The game has changed. More protection for the QBs these days.
Which has resulted in far more yards attempted and completed. The skill level has increased, in my opinion.

Anyway, Ryan is my man. Although I really like the little undrafted kid Dominic Davis is looking phenomenal for a rookie.

I should tip my hat to Brett Favre too.

Peyton is old, but if given a good O line and recievers he should still be able to pick defenses apart. Add Steve Young.:nod:

Octang Frye Aug 25th 2012 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Beaverstate (Post 10245513)
Peyton is old, but if given a good O line and recievers he should still be able to pick defenses apart. Add Steve Young.:nod:

Didn't he take over from Joe Montana?

There have been so many great players. Guys like Jerry Rice, Mike Alstott (personal favorite), Terry Bradshaw, Walter Payton. Remember watching the NFL on Channel Four with the Sweetness and Mick Luckhurst.

Oh, and I can guarantee there'll be a Gangnam Style endzone dance. Whoop! Whoop!

HarryTheSpider Aug 25th 2012 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 10245512)
It's very simple. Each team is split into three units. The offense, run by the quarterback, whose job it is to possess the ball and score. The defense, typically captained by a linebacker, who comes on the field to try and stop the opposing offense when they have the ball. And the special teams unit, which does kick-offs, punts, field goals, conversion points after a touchdown.

Touchdown - 6 pts.
Conversion kick after TD - 1 pt.
Field goal - 3 points.
Safety (tackling the opposing QB in the endzone) - 2 points.

If you're on offense, you get 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt is called a down. 1st and 10 means 1st down (attempt) and ten yards to go.

Let's say the offense runs the ball 4 yards before the "play" ends, now we're at 2nd down and 6. Meaning in order to keep going, the offense has to make 6 yards in three plays or less, otherwise they will surrender the ball to the other team.

If they make those 6 yards, or more, they can start again. They get another four "downs" to keep advancing. It's very simple, although the game be very complex too.

Don't get hung up on the pads thing. Cue the armored wankball jokes. Yes, rugby players are very macho, very tough. I've played both sports and I'm not disputing that. American football is a collision sport. There are some phenomenally gifted players. Enjoy the spectacle and the strategy. It fits on TV well, like snooker and tennis. Enjoy!

Thanks hugely - that actually makes sense AND sounds good too!!

penguinsix Aug 25th 2012 6:24 am

If you don't understand the game, the best solution is a Playstation or Xbox with Madden NFL Football. You'll start to pick up the concepts and even some of the more advanced nuances.

By the way, according to some papers the NFL might be moving a team to London full-time soon.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-georgia...-get-nfl-team/

Octang Frye Aug 25th 2012 6:39 am

I think that would be a bad decision. They're already taxing the players enough with Thursday games throughout the season. Adding in a 5 hour time difference is just cruel. I just don't see it happening. And, as much as I want to share enthusiasm for the game, I think this would be detrimental.

Beaverstate Aug 25th 2012 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 10245548)
I think that would be a bad decision. They're already taxing the players enough with Thursday games throughout the season. Adding in a 5 hour time difference is just cruel. I just don't see it happening. And, as much as I want to share enthusiasm for the game, I think this would be detrimental.

Agree. just imagine London flying to Seattle for a game, or the other way around.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 25th 2012 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 10245515)
Didn't he take over from Joe Montana?

There have been so many great players. Guys like Jerry Rice, Mike Alstott (personal favorite), Terry Bradshaw, Walter Payton. Remember watching the NFL on Channel Four with the Sweetness and Mick Luckhurst.

Oh, and I can guarantee there'll be a Gangnam Style endzone dance. Whoop! Whoop!

Warren Moon:lol:

sir_eccles Aug 25th 2012 3:27 pm

It helps when you have an emotional investment in a team. When I married my wife I became a Kansas city chiefs fan no choice about it. I have to say going to see games at Arrowhead stadium is an awesome experience. I just wish the team was better.

scrubbedexpat097 Aug 25th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10245980)
It helps when you have an emotional investment in a team. When I married my wife I became a Kansas city chiefs fan no choice about it. I have to say going to see games at Arrowhead stadium is an awesome experience. I just wish the team was better.

When we first came here we were Houston Oiler fans (hence the Warren Moon comment) but they upped and left town and we had a few years of being Cowboy wannabe's just for the Texas factor but eventually we got our team back and now we have the Houston Texans:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lansbury Aug 25th 2012 4:50 pm

This time next Saturday I shall be heading down I-5 to Corvallis, start of the PAC-12 college football season. Much more affordable to have a season ticket for college football, and quite often easier to travel to games. I wonder how many supporters of the various NFL teams actually go to a game.