Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Old Aug 25th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Charma1ne will become famous soon enoughCharma1ne will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Getting antsy, waiting for the new NFL season

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
It's very simple. Each team is split into three units. The offense, run by the quarterback, whose job it is to possess the ball and score. The defense, typically captained by a linebacker, who comes on the field to try and stop the opposing offense when they have the ball. And the special teams unit, which does kick-offs, punts, field goals, conversion points after a touchdown.

Touchdown - 6 pts.
Conversion kick after TD - 1 pt.
Field goal - 3 points.
Safety (tackling the opposing QB in the endzone) - 2 points.

If you're on offense, you get 4 attempts to move the ball 10 yards. Each attempt is called a down. 1st and 10 means 1st down (attempt) and ten yards to go.

Let's say the offense runs the ball 4 yards before the "play" ends, now we're at 2nd down and 6. Meaning in order to keep going, the offense has to make 6 yards in three plays or less, otherwise they will surrender the ball to the other team.

If they make those 6 yards, or more, they can start again. They get another four "downs" to keep advancing. It's very simple, although the game be very complex too.

Don't get hung up on the pads thing. Cue the armored wankball jokes. Yes, rugby players are very macho, very tough. I've played both sports and I'm not disputing that. American football is a collision sport. There are some phenomenally gifted players. Enjoy the spectacle and the strategy. It fits on TV well, like snooker and tennis. Enjoy!
TOTALLY stealing this to explain to my friends...maybe this will stop them asking me questions all the way through

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
I'm sure it's not really rugby for wimps who like padding(!)
Football/Soccer = A Passing Sport
Rugby = A Holding Sport
American Football = A Contact Sport

The one thing I am looking forward to this year is not watching the games until like 3am then getting up for work haha they will finish at a more normal time

As for the London team its a 5 hour and 10 minute flight time from Massachusetts to California and a 6 hour and 37 minute flight from London to Massachusetts...when you're flying first class or on your own jet with a fully reclining seat, meals whenever you want and the ability to hold a coaching session on the plane i.e. a verbal/written/stratagising training session its not really "losing out" on time so I cant see it being a bad thing I also think it would be amazing for both economies but thats just the event coordinator in me talking...haha

Cx

Cx
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Patriots should be interesting this year...

Still think Brady is a bit of a girls blouse and the D is a bit shaky when the going isn't that tough....and not been a great pre-season...
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
When we first came here we were Houston Oiler fans (hence the Warren Moon comment) but they upped and left town and we had a few years of being Cowboy wannabe's just for the Texas factor but eventually we got our team back and now we have the Houston Texans
Boo Texans!!!...... Go Cowboys!!!!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1
Everyones favorite team is whoever is playing the cowboys. Go niners!
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jabba1

Really I don't think so!

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Everyones favorite team is whoever is playing the cowboys. Go niners!
Old Aug 27th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

My American family is all from CO - hence me being a Broncos fan.

Can't wait for the new season. Still strange having Manning as our QB (living in IN I'd got used to shouting 'w#nker' at him when his boat would should up on the TV screen yet again). Now he's a top man.

Any spots going in any fantasy leagues? I'm already in a few leagues but could do another one. I'll take it seriously - no bye or injured players in the starting line up.

If there isn't one - anyone up for a British Expats league?