Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Getaway Break Ideas - Southern US?

Getaway Break Ideas - Southern US?

Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Getaway Break Ideas - Southern US?

Next month my friend and I are planning to go on a short break for 3 to 5 days with her children aged 7 and 3. She's an expat too and we think we'd like to go to a part of the States which we haven't been to (eg. not Florida or California).

We'd like to go somewhere warm (can you go in an outdoor pool in April?) so will probably need to head south - we are in New Jersey. I'm wondering what it is like in New Mexico or perhaps Arizona....are there any nice resort type places that anyone knows of, perhaps with a kids' club or children's activities? We don't want a dump of a place, but the high end resorts with golf courses and upscale spas might be out of our price range.

Only thing is, we have no idea of the geography of the southern states - would like to go out and explore rustic/artistic places and seeing the natural beauty spots (we will probably rent a car). For example, if we flew into Alberquerque NM, where could we go which is within an hour or two of the airport?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getaway Break Ideas - Southern US?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Next month my friend and I are planning to go on a short break for 3 to 5 days with her children aged 7 and 3. She's an expat too and we think we'd like to go to a part of the States which we haven't been to (eg. not Florida or California).
And I was going to suggest Orlando....

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 16th 2006 at 8:03 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:02 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

We'd like to go somewhere warm (can you go in an outdoor pool in April?) so will probably need to head south - we are in New Jersey. I'm wondering what it is like in New Mexico or perhaps Arizona....are there any nice resort type places that anyone knows of, perhaps with a kids' club or children's activities? We don't want a dump of a place, but the high end resorts with golf courses and upscale spas might be out of our price range.

Only thing is, we have no idea of the geography of the southern states - would like to go out and explore rustic/artistic places and seeing the natural beauty spots (we will probably rent a car). For example, if we flew into Alberquerque NM, where could we go which is within an hour or two of the airport?
Everything that you're saying you're looking for you will find in Sedona, Az. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been to anywhere! My husband and I own a condo there and go as often as we can. We only have use of it for part of the year otherwise I would offer it to you . My friends and I have been up and stayed there several times and I never can get enough of the place. It is so relaxing and beautiful and the scenery is spectacular! The weather will be gorgeous and you should be able to swim outdoors without to much of a problem, the weather is great! There is plenty of outdoor stuff to do as well and great little places to shop and eat. You would feel totally relaxed when you got home . As far as the kids go there are things for them to do and lots of culture for them to see, they just won't have a theme park to visit!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:04 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Everything that you're saying you're looking for you will find in Sedona, Az. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been to anywhere! My husband and I own a condo there and go as often as we can. We only have use of it for part of the year otherwise I would offer it to you . My friends and I have been up and stayed there several times and I never can get enough of the place. It is so relaxing and beautiful and the scenery is spectacular! The weather will be gorgeous and you should be able to swim outdoors without to much of a problem, the weather is great! There is plenty of outdoor stuff to do as well and great little places to shop and eat. You would feel totally relaxed when you got home . As far as the kids go there are things for them to do and lots of culture for them to see, they just won't have a theme park to visit!
oh, you would have to fly into Phoenix, Sky Harbor airport and rent a car for the 2 hour drive up there.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Come to San Antonio the fiesta is on next month.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
And I was going to suggest Orlando....
Kissimee is nice this time of year so I've heard.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

mandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nicemandeeuk is just really nice

The Westin Kierland Resort in Phoenix has a very good kids club apparently.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 9:55 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Getaway Break Ideas - Southern US?

Originally Posted by blaze
oh, you would have to fly into Phoenix, Sky Harbor airport and rent a car for the 2 hour drive up there.

Any suggestions on where we could stay? Any resort hotels etc? Do you know of any good websites for the region?

Actually Sedona sounds like a good place to check out....thank you!
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lolly
Come to San Antonio the fiesta is on next month.
I shall be arrving in San Antonio next Wednesday afternoon, and will stay for a few days

Jim.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:03 pm
Blondie22

Any suggestions on where we could stay? Any resort hotels etc? Do you know of any good websites for the region?

Actually Sedona sounds like a good place to check out....thank you!
There are quite a few places to stay in Sedona itself, some are reasonable and some are in resorts and quite pricey but usually well worth the money. We own at a place called 'Los Abrigados' which is one of the nicest resorts in the area, however, nightly rates are a minimum of about $180.00 per night. This would be for a suite though so you would all fit in quite nicely and then you have a kitchenette and a patio. They also have barbecue grills everywhere if you want to cook out as well as four restaurants on sight. They have a gym, spa, two outdoor pools (one for kids, one for adults although the kids can swim in the adult pool if they want to). There is also an outdoor jacuzzi with a wet bar and a mlni golf course, tennis and a lovely stream (great for skipping stones! ). When you take all that into consideration, the price doesn't seem so bad. However, you would need to check current prices as I'm sure that they've changed in the last few years. Also, it is located 2 mins walk from downtown Sedona so it is in a perfect location.
If you do a search on Sedona I'm sure that it would list the best western and other places near by that you could stay at and maybe give you some prices. Maybe check hotels .com, they maybe able to help and they offer an immediate 30% discount for booking with them directly. I have used them before and they were fine.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not think of somewhwere nearer home like South Carolina. I have come back today having gone there on last Sunday. Outdoor pools are heated, plenty of things to see and do with the kids. Try a Google search for the Landmark Hotel Resort or Springmaid Resort plus there are others but I have used these two most.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 7:41 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Since you mention it, Albuquerque is one hour south of Santa Fe, and just over two hours south of Taos. Both have "resorts", but I don't know much about them other than a particularly good Japanese spa by the name of Ten Thousand Waves. ABQ itself is not to be recommended. Both Taos and Santa Fe have plenty of art (Santa Fe is actually the third biggest art market in the US), but I'm not too sure what you would do with a couple of urbanite kids. But more important - I wouldn't consider April a good bet for NM. Northern NM typically sees the start of spring (as in green trees etc) sometime close to May. In April, it could be 80/90 degrees, or you could arrive in the middle of a three-day blizzard.
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:38 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Since you mention it, Albuquerque is one hour south of Santa Fe, and just over two hours south of Taos. Both have "resorts", but I don't know much about them other than a particularly good Japanese spa by the name of Ten Thousand Waves. ABQ itself is not to be recommended. Both Taos and Santa Fe have plenty of art (Santa Fe is actually the third biggest art market in the US), but I'm not too sure what you would do with a couple of urbanite kids. But more important - I wouldn't consider April a good bet for NM. Northern NM typically sees the start of spring (as in green trees etc) sometime close to May. In April, it could be 80/90 degrees, or you could arrive in the middle of a three-day blizzard.
Isn't myrtle beach, SC supposed to be lovely lots of boardwalk and sand and fun things for the kids. and if you drive down you even get the added bonus of stopping at South of the Border...hahahahaha
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:41 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Come down to Texas it's warm enough for a day at the beach..Padre Island has very clean beaches but if you are feeling brave there's always Galveston
Old Mar 17th 2006, 2:41 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
You could drive there in a day from NJ.
They have a lot of rentals all year round, really nice houses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.