Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Get SSN before AOS

Get SSN before AOS

Old Apr 24th 2002, 5:40 pm
Sebastian Hauer

Default Get SSN before AOS

Hi everyone,

I'm a K1 visa holder living in the USA and married to a US citicen. I have not yet
startet filing for AOS but I filed my papers for EAD two weeks ago, no reply yet but
the INS cashed the check

Well today I was going to apply for my Social Security Number after I read on
www.k1faq.com that all I would need to obtain a SSN is my I-94. I went to my local
office in Astoria, NY and the clerk told me I would need a I-688B Temporary Residence
Card. I left and called the INS. The guy there told me I would only be able get a
Temporary Residence Card after my AOS which can take a while.

Is there any way I could get my SSN before my AOS is processed?

Sebastian

Old Apr 24th 2002, 5:40 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: Get SSN before AOS

So long as your I-94 is still valid they are incorrect and you should go back there.
Here's the official SS position:

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p.php?p_sid=iy
56hzSf&p_lva=000628-000037&p_refno=010710-000000&p_created=994774535&p_sp=cF
9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1m aWFuY2Ugb2YgVS5TLiBjaXRpem
VuJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTE2JnBfY2F0 X2x2bDI9MzAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PW
RmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination. "Sebastian Hauer"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm a K1 visa holder living in the USA and married to a US citicen. I have not yet
    > startet filing for AOS but I filed my papers for EAD two weeks ago, no reply yet
    > but the INS cashed the check
    >
    > Well today I was going to apply for my Social Security Number after I read on
    > www.k1faq.com that all I would need to obtain a SSN is my I-94. I went to my local
    > office in Astoria, NY and the clerk told me I would need a I-688B Temporary
    > Residence Card. I left and called the INS. The guy there told me I would only be
    > able get a Temporary Residence Card after my AOS which can take a while.
    >
    > Is there any way I could get my SSN before my AOS is processed?
    >
    >
    > Sebastian

Old Apr 24th 2002, 8:10 pm
Sebastian Hauer

Hi Andy,

Andy Platt wrote:
    > So long as your I-94 is still valid they are incorrect and you should go back
    > there. Here's the official SS position:
    >
    > http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p.php?p_sid=iy
    > 56hzSf&p_lva=000628-000037&p_refno=010710-000000&p_created=994774535&p_sp=cF
    > 9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1m aWFuY2Ugb2YgVS5TLiBjaXRpem
    > VuJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTE2JnBfY2F0 X2x2bDI9MzAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PW
    > RmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=
    >>
    >>Is there any way I could get my SSN before my AOS is processed?
    >>
    >>
    >>Sebastian

Thank you for the link. I just printed the page out and will go again tomorrow. This
time I will try the office in the City. Might be I will be lucky there.

Sebastian

Old Apr 24th 2002, 8:40 pm
Kristin

You might want to take a copy of this memo along too:

http://www.kamya.com/ssn/em00154.pdf

It's a pdf file - you'll need Adobe Acrobat to open it. There's more SSN info on the
kamya site you might want to read, too, including experiences others have had with
SSN offices in New York:

http://www.kamya.com/ssn/

Good luck! Kristin

Sebastian Hauer wrote:

> Hi Andy,
    >
    > Andy Platt wrote:
    > > So long as your I-94 is still valid they are incorrect and you should go back
    > > there. Here's the official SS position:
    > >
    > > http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...p.php?p_sid=iy
    > > 56hzSf&p_lva=000628-000037&p_refno=010710-000000&p_created=994774535&p_sp=cF
    > > 9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTMmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1m aWFuY2Ugb2YgVS5TLiBjaXRpem
    > > VuJnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPTE2JnBfY2F0 X2x2bDI9MzAmcF9zb3J0X2J5PW
    > > RmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=
    > >>
    > >>Is there any way I could get my SSN before my AOS is processed?
    > >>
    > >>
    > >>Sebastian
    >
    > Thank you for the link. I just printed the page out and will go again tomorrow.
    > This time I will try the office in the City. Might be I will be lucky there.
    >
    > Sebastian

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:10 am
Mrs_blackross

INS will deny your EAD request because you did not file the AOS paperwork yet, so
therefore have no basis for requesting an EAD, and your K1 is already work authorized
for 90 days from the date of entry. Unfortunately, they will also keep your money. If
you had gone for your SSN before the wedding you would have only needed your I94 and
your K1 visa in your passport to get it. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I believe
technically you are supposed to file your AOS paperwork immediately after the wedding
as the K1 is no longer valid once you are married, which is why the NY SSN office
told you that you need a residence card to get a SSN...the "temporary residence card"
they mentioned is the 2 year Conditional Green Card you get after your AOS interview.

--
Crazy Canuck married to a Dam Yankee Entered as Visitor 07/04/01 Married 08/25/01
Filed @ VSC-AOS, EAD, AP 01/07/02 1st NOA 02/06/02 2nd NOA 02/07/02 EAD approved
02/26/02 AP Approved 02/28/02 AOS appointment letter rec'd 03/07/02 Fingerprint
letter rec'd 03/07/02 AOS interview 04/02/02 AOS APPROVED 04/02/02!!! GC arrived in
mail 04/19/02 next step..removing conditions..April 2004

some helpful sites on the net:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm
http://www.geocities.com/immigration...-130/index.htm "Sebastian Hauer"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm a K1 visa holder living in the USA and married to a US citicen. I have not yet
    > startet filing for AOS but I filed my papers for EAD two weeks ago, no reply yet
    > but the INS cashed the check
    >
    > Well today I was going to apply for my Social Security Number after I read on
    > www.k1faq.com that all I would need to obtain a SSN is my I-94. I went to my local
    > office in Astoria, NY and the clerk told me I would need a I-688B Temporary
    > Residence Card. I left and called the INS. The guy there told me I would only be
    > able get a Temporary Residence Card after my AOS which can take a while.
    >
    > Is there any way I could get my SSN before my AOS is processed?
    >
    >
    > Sebastian

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:10 pm
Sebastian Hauer

Hi Mrs Blackross,

today I applied for my SSN at the NYC SSA office on 755 2ND Av.-41 St and they
accepted my application after looking at my visa and the I-94 without of any
problems. This time I also brought a printout of the FAQ page Andy Platt mentioned in
his post but I didn't need it. So I guess I can recommend this office but people
should avoid the SSA office in Astoria, NY.

Mrs_Blackross wrote:
    > INS will deny your EAD request because you did not file the AOS paperwork yet, so
    > therefore have no basis for requesting an EAD, and your K1 is already work
    > authorized for 90 days from the date of entry. Unfortunately, they will also keep
    > your money.

Well then we where miss informed by the INS hotline clerks we called right after I
arrived in NYC. The officer at my POE in JFK had not been very helpfull either they
just said I should call up the INS. They recommended to file for EAD as soon as
possible. This is the first time I hear or read that my K1 will authorize me to work
for 90 days. And I realy want to start looking for jobs and working soon. All this
paperwork and waiting and uncertain information we got so far from the INS is just
unbelivable.

> If you had gone for your SSN before the wedding you would have only needed your I94
    > and your K1 visa in your passport to get it. Correct me if I am wrong here, but I
    > believe technically you are supposed to file your AOS paperwork immediately after
    > the wedding as the K1 is no longer valid once you are married, which is why the NY
    > SSN office told you that you need a residence card to get a SSN...the "temporary
    > residence card" they mentioned is the 2 year Conditional Green Card you get after
    > your AOS interview.

Sebastian

Old Apr 25th 2002, 4:40 pm
Mrs_blackross

being misinformed by INS hotline...well, that happens all the time. the hotline
generally tells you how things are *supposed* to go(although its possible to call 10
times and ask the same question and get 10 different answers!), but since every
single INS office does things a little differently, the actual experience is
completely different than what you are told.

When you enter on a K1, if you are lucky, you get a stamp saying "work authorized" at
the POE (that's the I-688B..my mistake-I mixed up the I-numbers earlier). Many POE's
don't give out the stamp, and in most reports from others, it is difficult to go to
your local INS office afterwards to get the stamp if the POE doesn't do it. But, even
without the stamp, the K1 technically is already work authorized. Check the two links
posted in this thread above me by Kristen, http://www.kamya.com/ssn/em00154.pdf and
http://www.kamya.com/ssn/ (scroll about 2/3 of the way down on the page), and also
read about it here: http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm

"Sebastian Hauer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Hi Mrs Blackross,
    >
    > today I applied for my SSN at the NYC SSA office on 755 2ND Av.-41 St and they
    > accepted my application after looking at my visa and the I-94 without of any
    > problems. This time I also brought a printout of the FAQ page Andy Platt mentioned
    > in his post but I didn't need it. So I guess I can recommend this office but people
    > should avoid the SSA office in Astoria, NY.
    >
    > Mrs_Blackross wrote:
    > > INS will deny your EAD request because you did not file the AOS
paperwork
    > > yet, so therefore have no basis for requesting an EAD, and your K1 is already
    > > work authorized for 90 days from the date of entry.
Unfortunately,
    > > they will also keep your money.
    >
    > Well then we where miss informed by the INS hotline clerks we called right after I
    > arrived in NYC. The officer at my POE in JFK had not been very helpfull either they
    > just said I should call up the INS. They recommended to file for EAD as soon as
    > possible. This is the first time I hear or read that my K1 will authorize me to
    > work for 90 days. And I realy want to start looking for jobs and working soon. All
    > this paperwork and waiting and uncertain information we got so far from the INS is
    > just unbelivable.
    >
    > > If you had gone for your SSN before the wedding you would have only
needed
    > > your I94 and your K1 visa in your passport to get it. Correct me if I am wrong
    > > here, but I believe technically you are
supposed to
    > > file your AOS paperwork immediately after the wedding as the K1 is no
longer
    > > valid once you are married, which is why the NY SSN office told you that
you
    > > need a residence card to get a SSN...the "temporary residence card" they
    > > mentioned is the 2 year Conditional Green Card you get after your AOS interview.
    >
    >
    > Sebastian

Old Apr 26th 2002, 3:40 am
Sebastian Hauer

Hi Mrs Blackross,

thank you for all the information you provided me with. I posted a new message with a
different subject line with some new questions that arose after reading through all
the links you provided.

Thanks again,

Sebastian

Mrs_Blackross wrote:
    > being misinformed by INS hotline...well, that happens all the time. the hotline
    > generally tells you how things are *supposed* to go(although its possible to call
    > 10 times and ask the same question and get 10 different
[..]> http://www.kamya.com/ssn/em00154.pdf and http://www.kamya.com/ssn/ (scroll
    > about 2/3 of the way down on the page), and also read about it here:
    > http://www.k1faq.com/faq_index.htm

Old Apr 26th 2002, 9:10 am
Shelley

I don't know if it is a general rule or not, but it seems that Social Security
offices that are located near INS offices seem to have more understanding of who is
eligible and who is not for SSNs and things tend to go smoother for folks - have
others found this to be true? Ken got his SSN in Milwaukee, the office was only a few
block from the old INS office - but after he received his Green Card and tried to
have a "clean" SS card made, he went to an office in Central Wisconsin, and they
didn't seem to understand what he wanted and simply sent us another card with the
"work authorization" message printed on the top. Take Care. Shelley

"Sebastian Hauer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Hi Mrs Blackross,
    >
    > today I applied for my SSN at the NYC SSA office on 755 2ND Av.-41 St and they
    > accepted my application after looking at my visa and the I-94 without of any
    > problems. This time I also brought a printout of the FAQ page Andy Platt mentioned
    > in his post but I didn't need it. So I guess I can recommend this office but people
    > should avoid the SSA office in Astoria, NY.
<snip