Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

get married here or there?

get married here or there?

Old Aug 17th 2002, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

hokiegrad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default get married here or there?

My fiance is in Kiev, Ukraine (yay, she said yes!). I was pretty much assuming that we'd apply for a fiance visa and get married over here (North Carolina)... I even got her signature on the G-325A when I was over there proposing. But we're now considering getting married over there and then applying for the spousal visa (K3?). I talked to my boss and it looks like I could get a leave-of-absence or permission to work remotely from there for the 6-months or so that we'd be waiting for the spousal visa.

I just want to know, are we crazy to be going this route for any reason? Anything we should know that might make us reconsider? I just read somewhere that the K3 process is a lot more complicated than the K1 process... is that true, and how exactly? Can anybody give me a list of pros/cons for fiance vs. spousal visas?

Also, is there any problem with applying for the spousal visa while I'm overseas, not in the US?

thanks! -matthew & natasha
Old Aug 17th 2002, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

mailmena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: get married here or there?

Originally posted by hokiegrad:
My fiance is in Kiev, Ukraine (yay, she said yes!). I was pretty much assuming that we'd apply for a fiance visa and get married over here (North Carolina)... I even got her signature on the G-325A when I was over there proposing. But we're now considering getting married over there and then applying for the spousal visa (K3?). I talked to my boss and it looks like I could get a leave-of-absence or permission to work remotely from there for the 6-months or so that we'd be waiting for the spousal visa.

I just want to know, are we crazy to be going this route for any reason? Anything we should know that might make us reconsider? I just read somewhere that the K3 process is a lot more complicated than the K1 process... is that true, and how exactly? Can anybody give me a list of pros/cons for fiance vs. spousal visas?

Also, is there any problem with applying for the spousal visa while I'm overseas, not in the US?

thanks! -matthew & natasha
You're not crazy. I was going to take the chance after knowing people got their conditional green card in less than 6 months. We were thinking about filing DCF too but got stuck with the residency part. I did a quick search on Kiev and it (k1.exit.com) saids "getting married in the Ukraine is a long and involved process, and it may be easier to marry in another country".
Old Aug 17th 2002, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

hokiegrad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mailmena:

You're not crazy. I was going to take the chance after knowing people got their conditional green card in less than 6 months. We were thinking about filing DCF too but got stuck with the residency part. I did a quick search on Kiev and it (k1.exit.com) saids "getting married in the Ukraine is a long and involved process, and it may be easier to marry in another country".
I wonder why they said it was a "long and involved process" that one might want to avoid... so far it doesn't sound that bad. My fiance went to the office that handles those things over there (ZAKS?) and got the paperwork we'll need to fill out. Then when that's filled out we are supposed to come together to that office to turn it all in, including translated and notarized copies of my passport (main page, visa page, and entry stamp) and an official statement that I've never been married before. I think the latter may also need an official stamp from the Consulate or something, but I'm not entirely clear on that yet. I also have to turn in 1 passport photo (sorry, I don't know about what my fiance has to provide) and the customs form I from when I entered Ukraine. I think that's all. Then the office where we're turning in the application will give us a date that they can perform the wedding (all weddings in Ukraine must be performed at one of these offices). I believe we have some say in choosing the date, but that they get the final say. The date chosen should be at least a month after the application is turned in. Overall it doesn't sound that difficult.

I was wondering about DCF... does anybody know if they'll do that for you? From what I have seen online, I get the impression that the Kiev embassy doesn't do any of this visa stuff, DCF or otherwise, but simply passes it all on to the Warsaw embassy. And I found something online which seemed to indicate that the Warsaw embassy does do DCF. Does anybody know for sure? Can anybody give me an estimate on my chances of getting them to do DCF for us, or any tips toward that end? Should I apply to Warsaw directly or go through Kiev?

thanks,
-matthew
Old Aug 17th 2002, 10:19 pm
Paul

Either way you go, you know it will not be quick (look at the post below yours (K
visas are not being issued at posts). Check with Warsaw and find out what their
situation is and maybe they have suggestions for this matter. Consider yourself she
is not from China or Russia (like my wife).

Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:55 pm
Os

hokiegrad <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by mailmena:
    > >
    > > You're not crazy. I was going to take the chance after knowing people got their
    > > conditional green card in less than 6 months. We were thinking about filing DCF
    > > too but got stuck with the residency part. I did a quick search on Kiev and it
    > > (k1.exit.com) saids "getting married in the Ukraine is a long and involved
    > > process, and it may be easier to marry in another country".
    > I wonder why they said it was a "long and involved process" that one might want to
    > avoid... so far it doesn't sound that bad. My fiance went to the office that
    > handles those things over there (ZAKS?) and got the paperwork we'll need to fill
    > out. Then when that's filled out we are supposed to come together to that office
    > to turn it all in, including translated and notarized copies of my passport (main
    > page, visa page, and entry stamp) and an official statement that I've never been
    > married before. I think the latter may also need an official stamp from the
    > Consulate or something, but I'm not entirely clear on that yet. I also have to
    > turn in 1 passport photo (sorry, I don't know about what my fiance has to provide)
    > and the customs form I from when I entered Ukraine. I think that's all. Then the
    > office where we're turning in the application will give us a date that they can
    > perform the wedding (all weddings in Ukraine must be performed at one of these
    > offices). I believe we have some say in choosing the date, but that they get the
    > final say. The date chosen should be at least a month after the application is
    > turned in. Overall it doesn't sound that difficult.
    > I was wondering about DCF... does anybody know if they'll do that for you? From
    > what I have seen online, I get the impression that the Kiev embassy doesn't do any
    > of this visa stuff, DCF or otherwise, but simply passes it all on to the Warsaw
    > embassy. And I found something online which seemed to indicate that the Warsaw
    > embassy does do DCF. Does anybody know for sure? Can anybody give me an estimate
    > on my chances of getting them to do DCF for us, or any tips toward that end?
    > Should I apply to Warsaw directly or go through Kiev?

I'm not sure about the specifics of getting married in Kiev for the foreigner. But,
as far as DCF in Warsaw..

It will take you about 2-3months max. from the time you walk in to the US Consulate
with I-130 in your hands. This based thought on 1year old experience. Warsaw
Consulate still excepts I-130 and processes them FAST.

You might to check the latest info in Kiev's US Consulate website. I hear, they might
start processing IV visas in Kiev soon. If they don't you still can apply in Kiev but
it will extend your process by 1-2 months, as they're forwarding petitions to Warsaw.
It's worth going to Warsaw yourself - less chances that your I-130 gets lost and
timewise too.

Get ready to present significant evidence of your relationship, since your marriage
would be <2years long.

Good luck, oleg