Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

get married before visa expires??

get married before visa expires??

Old Apr 30th 2001, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

BrownSugar480 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I came to the United States with a turist visa,(i meet my bf), i decided that i wanted to go to college here so i started changing my status to a student visa. Well this was last year and so far i only recieved a letter from INS saying that they are processing my request and it should take 90 to 120 days, (this was at the beginning of the school semester and i only have two more weeks to school end), my visa expires this june and i dont know what its going to happen respect to my student visa. Well my boyfriend and i decide to get married at the end of this year and then later on have a "big" wedding because my parents are not able to come to our "small" wedding. Anyway my question is what do we need to do? do we need a lawyer or its a way we can do it for ourselves (because we want to save some money)? Will i have problems with INS because of my status?? We really dont know what to do, i had tried to call INS to find out about my student status but not luck, do i need to get married before my visa expires?? PLEASE WE NEED HELP!!!

Thank you soo much and please let me know.
Old Apr 30th 2001, 4:46 pm
Bhavesh Kothari

You should get married before your vias expires, otherwise you will be out of status
if you do not get your student visa by june. You must get a lawyer, there is many
if's and but's that no one knows. Hope this helps.

BrownSugar480 wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Apr 30th 2001, 6:08 pm
Alex J

Bhavesh Kothari wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

Yes it is best to get married before your visa expires and you become out of status -
especially if you want to be able to get advanced parole to leave and return to the
states before your interview - but it is not a have to. No she must not get a lawyer
and there are no if's and but's. If she gets her Student visa then there is no rush
to get married - if she doesn't then it is in her best interest to get married before
her visitor visa expires. The only experience I have with student visas - is my
daughter had one to attend high school for a year - when we had our interview she was
2 1/2 yrs past the end of that year and she got her permanent residency without a
problem (when we filed the papers she was 1 1/2 yrs past the expiration of her visa).

I was in status when we married but out of status when we filed and I have had a
successful adjustment of status and am now an unconditional permanent resident. We
did everything ourselves.

I don't believe that being out of status (in itself) warrants having to use a lawyer.
They may look more closely at the marriage because she had a petition pending when
they got married - but then again they may not.

Alex hope this helps

Old May 2nd 2001, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

BrownSugar480 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thanks alex

Hey alex, thanks for the info. it really help me, just one question i am wondering if you or someone else can give me the name of ALL the forms i will be needing and the total cost. Thanks
Old May 2nd 2001, 5:52 pm
Alex J

Go to this url: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fo...orms/index.htm you will
need to download these forms:

G-325A (or could be just the G-325 - the other forms will tell you which ones) I-130
(this is the petition the US citizen uses) I-131 (this is for advanced parole) I-485
(this is the petition for the alien) I-693 (this is for the medical) I-765 (this is
for work authorization) I-864 package (this is the affidavit of support)

The page will tell you how much the fee is for each form - total will be $525 for one
adult (includes getting advanced parole and work authorization).

Check the site out - it is your best source of info.

Alex BrownSugar480 wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >