Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Get here on your own dime! Advice required.

Get here on your own dime! Advice required.

Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Get here on your own dime! Advice required.

I'm sorry you feel like that so soon. It can take a bit of getting used to if you're missing the old culture and habits.
For me initially, here in Ca, it was like being on holiday, loved my job, got to see all these places by driving instead of having to fly from the UK, lived by the beach etc...
However I grew very homesick, even with going back every year, and recently realized that the US wasn't particularly better than back in Scotland. Mainly just the weather and the price of petrol.
Been here 15 but another two years and I'm heading back.

It's also tiring me out that Americans are so polarized on every little thing...or maybe I'm reading too many forums

Last edited by Hotscot; Mar 4th 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if having to invest personal money in the adventure makes it more, or less of an adventure...
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfrbrowne
Just moved to the US with wife and two kids. The relocation was for my wives work and her company did cover all the costs etc.

Moved in January and all I can say is that the US is not what its made out to be.

We put our house back in England up for sale so we could buy outright over here.
That strategy changed, our home in England is now up for rent, there to move back to if and when we want to. (and as far as I am concerned it is when).

Wife is on a two year minimum contract (e.g. if we stayed less than two years we would have to pay back some of the costs). The company will sponsor a green card but at the moment i don't think about that. So although in this first couple of months I am unsettled and have to take that into account I can't see me wanting to see my kids grow up here. Just the stories about affording college give me the willies!

AND... its expensive. Ok so I can fill up a ford fiesta for about £25 in petrol but thats it, everything else I have found to be more expensive and insurance... well allow 3-4 times what you paid in the UK.

And just another one, the culture is very different, I had a motorbike licence in England, I still had to go to school here to get a florida endorsement (by the way in Tampa florida). So I am in a class of twelve students, in the afternoon, we are talking about safety gear, our coach tells us about gloves, "you need a good pair of gloves, don't scrimp on quality get a leather pair" to give an example of buying quality he says, "how many of you own guns?" 11 hands go up!
he then asks "and how many of you have a licence to carry a concealed weapon".
8 hands go down, 4 stay up, one of them a quiet middle aged lady!
"well" the coach says, "you wouldn't put your $600 dollar pistol in a cheap holster would you?" They talked about guns like we in England talk about the weather.

The weather is hot and sunny, we are living in a community with a swimming pool, but there is something about England and Europe that is different and something I know I will want to go back to one day.
If I lived in Florida, I'd want to go back to wherever as well. I've only ever been there once and I still can't imagine what the attraction is...

I always wonder why people come over here thinking it's all Disney World and gold paved streets and then get upset when they find it's not what they saw on TV or the movies....
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... AND... its expensive. Ok so I can fill up a ford fiesta for about £25 in petrol but thats it, everything else I have found to be more expensive and insurance... well allow 3-4 times what you paid in the UK. .....
I'm not going to address everything you said, but car insurance falls a long way over the first few years. We are currently paying $1,300 a year for good quality insurance for a Honda Accord, a Mustang GT, and a Ford F250 crew cab truck, so very comparable to the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not going to address everything you said, but car insurance falls a long way over the first few years. We are currently paying $1,300 a year for good quality insurance for a Honda Accord, a Mustang GT, and a Ford F250 crew cab truck, so very comparable to the UK.
1,300 for all those cars?

I hadn't realized car insurance got so cheap in the US....I paid more then that for 1 car in California....

Don't move to Canada....lol...We pay, 1,250 a year for a 1998 Sunfire, and we get a 40% safe driver discount.... 1 million liability, nothing fancy.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

I hadn't realized car insurance got so cheap in the US....I paid more then that for 1 car in California....

Don't move to Canada....lol...We pay, 1,250 a year for a 1998 Sunfire, and we get a 40% safe driver discount.... 1 million liability, nothing fancy.
Yes, $1,300 total for all three. We have never made a claim, but it does vary quite a lot by state, I hear.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Does depend on location.

When I lived in Maine, our insurance was $650 a year and the same coverage in MA was $1500 a year for the one car.

Got a newer car now and a few years more US driving history, but one accident that has since rolled off the surcharge and it's only a few hundred cheaper a year.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
If I lived in Florida, I'd want to go back to wherever as well. I've only ever been there once and I still can't imagine what the attraction is...

I always wonder why people come over here thinking it's all Disney World and gold paved streets and then get upset when they find it's not what they saw on TV or the movies....

the attraction is nice weather and great lifestyle....
forget Disney, we are 15 minutes from the beach, we can go down in the morning and walk the dogs or at night and watch the sunset....that never gets tiring.

I can have the boat out on the gulf in less than 30 minutes watching dolphins, manatees (our dog got to swim with one), rays, even sharks.

I can spend 99% of the year in shorts and tee shirt.

yes its hot and humid for 4 months a year but far better than all the poxy snow they have had the past 3 months up north. I would far rather be too hot than too cold.

Bad bits , yes of course.....paradise don't exist, but don't knock somewhere you have only been to once

actually scrub that , its sh1t, im back off to cold grey old England , Hastings can be very nice that one day in July
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

Just moved to the US with wife and two kids. The relocation was for my wives work and her company did cover all the costs etc.

Moved in January and all I can say is that the US is not what its made out to be.

We put our house back in England up for sale so we could buy outright over here.
That strategy changed, our home in England is now up for rent, there to move back to if and when we want to. (and as far as I am concerned it is when).

Wife is on a two year minimum contract (e.g. if we stayed less than two years we would have to pay back some of the costs). The company will sponsor a green card but at the moment i don't think about that. So although in this first couple of months I am unsettled and have to take that into account I can't see me wanting to see my kids grow up here. Just the stories about affording college give me the willies!

AND... its expensive. Ok so I can fill up a ford fiesta for about £25 in petrol but thats it, everything else I have found to be more expensive and insurance... well allow 3-4 times what you paid in the UK.

And just another one, the culture is very different, I had a motorbike licence in England, I still had to go to school here to get a florida endorsement (by the way in Tampa florida). So I am in a class of twelve students, in the afternoon, we are talking about safety gear, our coach tells us about gloves, "you need a good pair of gloves, don't scrimp on quality get a leather pair" to give an example of buying quality he says, "how many of you own guns?" 11 hands go up!
he then asks "and how many of you have a licence to carry a concealed weapon".
8 hands go down, 4 stay up, one of them a quiet middle aged lady!
"well" the coach says, "you wouldn't put your $600 dollar pistol in a cheap holster would you?" They talked about guns like we in England talk about the weather.

The weather is hot and sunny, we are living in a community with a swimming pool, but there is something about England and Europe that is different and something I know I will want to go back to one day.

sorry you are struggling to settle..it did seem form your pre-move posts you were apprehensive.

of course the culture is different , try and embrace it a bit more and enjoy the positives, get to the beach, enjoy the outdoors etc.

yes insurance is expensive but if you shop around you can save some money( I can happily give you our guy in Sarasota's details)...you have lots of restaurants etc in Tampa plus a short drive can take you inland to some (for florida nice scenery

as Mrs Gump says its like a box of chocolates,,,,until you open it up you don't know what you might find
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over on a visa that was obtained through work but received no relocation package as it was my request (my wife is American and lived here already). Yes I could gone the immigrant visa route but going the way I did meant I still had a job.

I did negotiate a salary increase though, as the cost of living is higher here (NE near Philly). It would have been a lot tougher if I had just taken a salary at the exchange rate.

At the end of the day, if its your choice to move and the company are prepared to pay the visa costs then you should be very grateful for that, as they could just say no and that would be the end of it.

As for whether to move at all, I am not sure I would have done if my situation had been different. Its by far from perfect here - for example, even if your company has a superb medical package, that is only part of it. My company has an excellent medical package, but having had to make use of it recently, for a recurring problem ultimately requiring surgery, I wholeheartedly miss the NHS!!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:08 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My neighbour pays less than £200 (fully comp, protected NCB) for a Ford Kuga, a Mini and a Porsche ... but then he does tick all the right boxes (parked off-road, no accidents, ever, good post code, etc.)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funstuie
This gives me a few options now as I can go for the original job in San Francisco (which is still available in a way) or I can actually choose to live in a few other places - Philadelphia, Atlanta, Phoenix near a major office or I could pick anywhere and work remotely (My wife mentioned Boston).
From the list you've given and what you've said you're after I would go with Atlanta as it's not terribly far from the coast if you feel the need (well, in American terms, in your terms it's probably a very long way ) and the weather is okay. Plus there is a bit of a "bohemian" vibe to certain parts of downtown which definitely doesn't exist in Phoenix.

San Francisco and Boston are really expensive real estate markets and if the employer isn't going to file an I-140 that sounds risky. On the other hand, if you've got the cash, could be a good investment. But Atlanta real estate is pretty good too.

So Atlanta or San Francisco, depending on how much money you've got.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Or Orange County for a wonderful lifestyle with great weather.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Does depend on location.

When I lived in Maine, our insurance was $650 a year and the same coverage in MA was $1500 a year for the one car.

Got a newer car now and a few years more US driving history, but one accident that has since rolled off the surcharge and it's only a few hundred cheaper a year.
True, true, could probably save 1/2 by moving to the next province over....lol...It doubled when I moved from there to here, so I'd assume it'd go back down.

Issue in BC, is we have a monopoly on the mandatory insurance part, so the government dictates the price.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by captainsensible
I moved over on a visa that was obtained through work but received no relocation package as it was my request (my wife is American and lived here already). Yes I could gone the immigrant visa route but going the way I did meant I still had a job.
Are you telling us that your employer would have refused to transfer you if you had obtained your own immigrant visa? Really?

At the end of the day, if its your choice to move and the company are prepared to pay the visa costs then you should be very grateful for that, as they could just say no and that would be the end of it.
Except that unless and until you have a green card (or you're a U.S. citizen/national etc) you can't really "move" to the United States. At best you can be a medium term visitor with limited work rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.