British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/get-florida-driving-license-just-what-exactly-do-you-need-do-812039/)

Steve_ Oct 21st 2013 6:02 pm

Re: To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

Originally Posted by Wibblypig (Post 10943670)
I had 2 multiple choice tests, 20 questions on road rules and 20 questions on road signs. Then a 'road' test which consisted of about 5 minutes of driving road a car park (it was closed off to other cars). It was all unbelievably easy.

The worst part was all the waiting around, my test was booked in for 8:15, I finally left after noon and had to return at 4:30pm to get my temporary DL as the computers weren't working.

Well I did mine more than 20 years ago now and it was exactly the same as you've just described, except back then you got your DL on the spot.

I just dug out my old licence. Wow, I was skinny and had hair once. :(

Steve_ Oct 21st 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Danoz (Post 10947556)
i was driving completely on the wrong side of the road! It kind of scares you a bit that your brain goes into auto pilot and does what you are used to. Anyway I am sure if there was a car or something coming i would have realized quickly enough, but makes you think.

The trick is to follow the line in the centre of the road, rather than the sidewalk.

steveq Oct 21st 2013 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10954480)
The trick is to follow the line in the centre of the road, rather than the sidewalk.

surely the trick is to drive in the gap between the centre and the sidewalk?

Steve_ Oct 21st 2013 8:24 pm

:p

When you drive you tend to follow a line with your eyes, try driving on a road without road marks on it and you will see what I mean, you look towards the edge of the road.

If you drive on the other side of the road you tend to look at the curb rather than the line down the centre.

Pulaski Oct 21st 2013 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 10954528)
Surely the trick is to drive in the gap between the centre and the sidewalk?

Really? :confused: That doesn't appear to be the universal approach. :rolleyes:

The reports every week in the local papers round here suggest that keeping the vehicle on the road is quite difficult, with many reported collisions with trees and utility poles off the right side of the road, or over corrections after drifting of the right side leading shortly thereafter to catastrophic collisions with oncoming traffic. :ohmy:

steveq Oct 21st 2013 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10954830)
The reports every week in the local papers round here suggest that keeping the vehicle on the road is quite difficult, with many reported collisions with trees and utility poles off the right side of the road, or over corrections after drifting of the right side leading to over corrections and shortly thereafter to catastrophic collisions with oncoming traffic. :ohmy:

That's it, i ain't driving in Florida again, unless i can get An Abrams tank.

Pulaski Oct 21st 2013 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by steveq (Post 10954905)
That's it, i ain't driving in Florida again, unless i can get An Abrams tank.

I'm not in Florida. Down there it is ponds, creeks, drainage ditches, and drownings, rather than trees, utility poles, and blunt force trauma where I am further north. :unsure:

durham_lad Oct 21st 2013 11:19 pm

Someone may have answered this, but when I took my test in Texas I turned up in the hire car I'd been driving for a week and was told by the State Trooper that I couldn't take it in a hire car. He was even good enough to point me at the sentence in the agreement that says the car cannot be driven in "road tests". The trooper said they have in the past called Avis to confirm that driving tests are included in that definition.

He also said he didn't understand why Avis were happy enogh with me getting off a plane in Houston and jumping into one of their cars and launching myself into evening rush hour, but not with driving around a quiet neighborhood at 25 mph to take a driving test.

Pulaski Oct 21st 2013 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 10955015)
Someone may have answered this, but when I took my test in Texas I turned up in the hire car I'd been driving for a week and was told by the State Trooper that I couldn't take it in a hire car. He was even good enough to point me at the sentence in the agreement that says the car cannot be driven in "road tests". The trooper said they have in the past called Avis to confirm that driving tests are included in that definition.

He also said he didn't understand why Avis were happy enogh with me getting off a plane in Houston and jumping into one of their cars and launching myself into evening rush hour, but not with driving around a quiet neighborhood at 25 mph to take a driving test.

It's likely not Avis, but Avis' insurer which may have a blanket prohibition on using rental cars for road tests to stop people who have never held a full license anywhere, using them for tests.

durham_lad Oct 21st 2013 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10955056)
It's likely not Avis, but Avis' insurer which may have a blanket prohibition on using rental cars for road tests to stop people who have never held a full license anywhere, using them for tests.

I agree, it was just quicker to type Avis on my iPad :)

The main point I was making to the OP was to check ahead of time. I had to go back to the test center a couple of days later after borrowing my boss's car in which I took the test.

The actual driving part of the test was trivial, right turn out of the parking lot, 4 more right turns to get back to the center and right turn back in. I then had to parallel park between two cones set so far apart you get a school bus in there.

Steve_ Oct 23rd 2013 5:40 pm

But at least they made you parallel park, they don't do that in Florida.