Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

I took mine 9 years ago and can concur with the above - 40 questions and "test" round the plaza car park where the local DMV office is located. Took it within two weeks of arrival, in my own car (which as you have said, within the grace period is perfectly fine for you to drive by yourself to the test center.....).

Very easy - I always think it would have been funny had I failed, because I'd have then just drove away from the test center (perfectly legally!) and come back again the next day.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 5:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

Originally Posted by Dan725
.... Very easy - I always think it would have been funny had I failed, because I'd have then just drove away from the test center (perfectly legally!) and come back again the next day.
The same thought that goes through the mind of everyone who goes through the charade of the US test when they're already the holder of a full British driving licence.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The same thought that goes through the mind of everyone who goes through the charade of the US test when they're already the holder of a full British driving licence.
Can I drive one handed or do I need to have two hands on the steering wheel? Would they think it amiss if I keep hitting my left hand against the door as I go to change gears but then remember I am in an auto

My new boss put me in touch with another expat who transferred across to Tampa a couple of years ago. I spoke to him the other day and he said an Irish friend of his passed his exam even after driving around the car park in the wrong lane
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

It took me about 11 months to get my licence in 2011 (there was a couple of months in that time where I just couldn't be arsed to go to the DMV anymore) - in the end the senators office in SC intervened.
I took my test in Indianapolis, the woman was hilarious. She asked me if I had ever dated a Scottish guy, I asked why and she said she'd always wanted to know if they wore any undies under their kilts! She then told me to swing into the gas station so she could get her lottery ticket and she also picked up a gallon of milk.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of hit & run drivers in Florida ,too many illegals there that don't have insurance let alone a drivers licence , the rest are OAPs that drive so slow and cause many accidents.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ruth16
Lot of hit & run drivers in Florida ,too many illegals there that don't have insurance let alone a drivers licence , the rest are OAPs that drive so slow and cause many accidents.
So what happens if you are in an accident with an illegal? Do you need to sue them to get the monies back, as I am assuming that if they dont have insurance then your own insurance will need to pay for things at least for your side of the accident initially? Which I am also guessing then impacts your no claims and driving record even though it isnt your fault?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
So what happens if you are in an accident with an illegal? Do you need to sue them to get the monies back, as I am assuming that if they dont have insurance then your own insurance will need to pay for things at least for your side of the accident initially? Which I am also guessing then impacts your no claims and driving record even though it isnt your fault?
Usually the "uninsured motorists" clause in your insurance policy only covers bodily injury.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninsured_motorist_clause

Your collusion insurance covers damages to your vehicle.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ruth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond reputeRuth16 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no one to sue, it's a hit & run, they take off...
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

The hit and run bit I understand, was more a comment about an uninsured driver.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hypothetically, if they can't leave the scene of the accident, or they are otherwise caught, I can absolutely guarantee they have no assets to make suing a practical option. They live in rented accommodation (often crappy trailers), don't have a bank account, subsist entirely on cash earned, and likely remit any surplus/"savings" back to their home country. Their ID is typically a "Matricula Consular" ID issued by the Mexican government, and is notoriously unreliable.

Welcome to the ugly realities of life in the US!
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

One only sues if there's a chance of getting something back!

Also, it's the job of the insurance company to go after their own money as they will pay for your repairs.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Guindalf
One only sues if there's a chance of getting something back!

Also, it's the job of the insurance company to go after their own money as they will pay for your repairs.
Ok makes sense. Bu guessing will still impact your driving record as their is a claim? But that is not unusually. happened to me here in the UK, where my paintwork got damaged but could find no one at fault.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Would they think it amiss if I keep hitting my left hand against the door as I go to change gears but then remember I am in an auto
I'm sure they'd think it amiss, but not because you remembered you're in an automatic. It would be because you're flailing your LEFT hand about, trying to look for a gear shift which is on the RIGHT side of your body! LOL

Rene
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

I was in France not too long ago, and driving on the other side of the road was fine (gears included!) whilst there traffic, road marking etc.. to constantly remind you. One day in a rural part of the country, we got into the car and started driving off. After a few miles i thought something was not quite right.. i was driving completely on the wrong side of the road! It kind of scares you a bit that your brain goes into auto pilot and does what you are used to. Anyway I am sure if there was a car or something coming i would have realized quickly enough, but makes you think.

I am guessing a few weeks of driving everyday would train the brain... righty tighty, lefty loosey :-)
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:55 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The Florida driver's test is a joke, I remember when I did it, the worst part was standing in line to take it. The questions were simple, then they took me out into the parking lot and had me drive around it, stop at a STOP sign and drive forward into a parking space. It took a few minutes as I recall.

I was driving a car with a standard transmission, and the examiner was so fat her thigh was pressed up against the gear stick. So anyway I got into second gear during the test for about 20 seconds maximum. Literally my car tilted over when she got in.

By far the most worrying part was leaving the test centre and realizing that everyone else on the road had probably gotten a licence after doing that test.

After I did it they started to do swaps of Canadian and other State licenses, but from other places you still have to do the full test, iirc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.