Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Danoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

i have been looking into this and I have read the following:
  • If you are moving to become a resident, you have 31 days to get a driving license
  • You cannot swap out a foreign license, you need to sit it all again
  • you need a SSN before applying, but you need to wait ten days after arriving to apply for SSN and then the SSN may take a while to be issued
  • You have to sit a drugs and alcohol awareness course, but if you are immigrating from OS you cannot do the online course
  • You need to sit a theory test
  • you need to take a practical behind the wheel exam
  • you no longer need an international drivers license

I have also heard the following:
  • You dont actually need to take the drugs and alcohol awareness course if you have previously held a license.
  • If you have an international driving license you have up to 6 months to a yea to get your license
  • You cannot use a rental car to take the practical

Is anyone able to let me know the truths and non truths above please, as I am a bit confused?

Also whilst I can see how someone moving interstate might be able to swap their license out within 31 days, how realistic is it to do on an international relocation basis (given SSN times, sitting the various tests, booking in etc...)?
Old Oct 13th 2013, 4:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

The IDP is worthless, it's just a picture and translation of your license, so only good if your license isn't in English, or the old paper one without the picture.

As for doing the test in a month, no idea, but if you get the ball rolling quickly, you are usually okay if you don't get it done in time.

Do the theory test or get the permit as soon as. The theory is going to be easy, just read up on anything related to booze and under 21's getting penalty points.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To get a Florida driving license, just what exactly do you need to do?

All of your bullet points ring true. Is there a question in there I am missing?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 1:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
All of your bullet points ring true. Is there a question in there I am missing?
I suspect the last two bullets are incorrect, or at least not best advice. No good will come of delaying getting a "local" licence any longer than is absolutely avoidable; 31 days is probably unrealistic, but as soon thereafter as reasonably possible is recommended. Unless some special rule applies to Florida, doing your road test in a rental car is certainly possible- I did so myself, just not in Florida.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:06 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Give this site a whirl.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/faqkeys.html
Old Oct 14th 2013, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

judesM is an unknown quantity at this point

Forget about using indicators anymore...
Old Oct 14th 2013, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

paul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond reputepaul32x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judesM
...and learn how to undertake, and remember to stay in the fast lane, even if you're only doing 50!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

you can use any vehicle (needs to be slightly roadworthy)
no drug test

theory is a (up to) 20 question multiple choice on a screen 15 is the pass rate, its so easy a blind 10 year old could pass

practical is about 25-30 mins driving round the local roads

parking is into a 4 cone box (we took our test in an explorer so I kicked the cones out a bit for wifey as we went in)
emergency stop is ....'drive along and when you want to stop quickly'
hill parking is...oh wait no hills so tell us what you would do

honestly the state of driving down here im surprised they don't include using a drive through, cutting across 3 lanes to turn off and see how long you can sit in the outside lane and how many cars you can hold up.............
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
you can use any vehicle (needs to be slightly roadworthy)
no drug test

theory is a (up to) 20 question multiple choice on a screen 15 is the pass rate, its so easy a blind 10 year old could pass

practical is about 25-30 mins driving round the local roads

parking is into a 4 cone box (we took our test in an explorer so I kicked the cones out a bit for wifey as we went in)
emergency stop is ....'drive along and when you want to stop quickly'
hill parking is...oh wait no hills so tell us what you would do

honestly the state of driving down here im surprised they don't include using a drive through, cutting across 3 lanes to turn off and see how long you can sit in the outside lane and how many cars you can hold up.............

Thanks Flabound! I have downloaded the driving handbook to read before we leave here. Seems pretty logical, a mix between English and Australian rules seems to cover it. So not concerned really, especially after reading many of the stories. Just wanted to make sure i did the right thing.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 11:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danoz
..... Just wanted to make sure I did the right thing.
You need to shake that "holier than thou" attitude before you get behind the wheel in Florida!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You need to shake that "holier than thou" attitude before you get behind the wheel in Florida!
haha, right got it, I will leave that at the front door each morning!
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, you MUST buy a Cadillac and drive with your left blinker on all the time.

Master those two points and you're all set!

Seriously, the test is usually a lot simpler than in the UK. Basically, if you can show you can keep the car in a straight line and turn properly when needed, you pass (examiner dependent, of course!).

The written test is fairly easy too. Just make sure you read the manual and know the little things like U21 rules, etc.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

When I did my test last year it was a bit different to how Flabound describes it.

I had 2 multiple choice tests, 20 questions on road rules and 20 questions on road signs. Then a 'road' test which consisted of about 5 minutes of driving road a car park (it was closed off to other cars). It was all unbelievably easy.

The worst part was all the waiting around, my test was booked in for 8:15, I finally left after noon and had to return at 4:30pm to get my temporary DL as the computers weren't working.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by judesM
Aren't those optional extras in the US?
Old Oct 14th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

tipex will become famous soon enoughtipex will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wibblypig
When I did my test last year it was a bit different to how Flabound describes it.

I had 2 multiple choice tests, 20 questions on road rules and 20 questions on road signs. Then a 'road' test which consisted of about 5 minutes of driving road a car park (it was closed off to other cars). It was all unbelievably easy.

The worst part was all the waiting around, my test was booked in for 8:15, I finally left after noon and had to return at 4:30pm to get my temporary DL as the computers weren't working.
Yes , this is true. 40 questions and a trip around a car park the size of 2 tennis courts, although I was out for 20 minutes around the car park. very easy.

I did have to prove I was a driver in the uk and that way I didn't have to do the drug and alcohol test before any theory or driving test.

My wife had to do it because she never drove anywhere before.

Just read the handbook , there are some weird rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.