Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Germans and towels on sun beds - official !!

Germans and towels on sun beds - official !!

Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germans and towels on sun beds - official !!

I remember years ago when my parents and their friends went to Crete they stayed in a hotel full of Germans, infact they were the only English people. Every day the resident Germans would come down before sun rise and take all the loungers with their towels and then go out for the whole day...yes I kid you not. After a day of having no lounger my mum was having no more of their shenanigans. So she took the towels off of all the empty loungers and then promptly claimed loungers for her and her friends, my dad kept saying no you cant do that, :scared: her reply was watch me . There was a right ruckus when the towel owners came back, to which my gladiator dad immediately jumped in the pool for a swim leaving mum to fend off the angry mob herself. She just told them straight that they were out of order and if they weren't at the pool in the future she would claim the loungers herself. Bless her she's a tiny little thing with a large voice, not many would mess with her when she's indignant. Way to go mum.
Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:33 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 9th 2005, 5:37 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice
Attached Thumbnails Germans and towels on sun beds - official !!-pike.jpeg  
Old Aug 9th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc111s
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4132878.stm

This was just too funny to pass up a thread on
Perhaps it's just me, but...

I'd say that the problem is not the legal precedent but simply that the Brits are (mostly) too damned polite to remove the towels.

OK, we COULD remove the towels from loungers... How many Brits here WOULD!?!?!?! I know I wouldn't!

Like I said.. Perhaps it's just me!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

CAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant futureCAsunlover has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lionheart
No wonder we call them the 'Master race'. I used to love visiting our distributors worldwide when I was employed, Paris sights, the food in Italy, shopping in Hong Kong.
I remember the first time I visited the German distributor, we got off a 12 hour plane ride from the US, it was pouring it down in Germany. After packing our luggage in his Volvo estate( station wagon) we proceeded onto the Autobahn, the German guy was doing 220KPH( about 140 MPH) in the pissing rain with about 15 feet visibility. I was cacking myself in the passenger seat!! :scared:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

I used to live next to Germany, I know exactly what you are talking about!!

Now the next thing is that they have to stop claiming spots on the beach, digging holes!!!!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by franc111s
Does anyone remember the heineken advert with the Brit (I think) throwing his towel out of the balcony window which un-rolled with a can of heineken inside it, right on his sun-lounger - beating the running towel hoggers by secs.

Way funny.
James Bond type figure. Came on to the Balcony as dawn broke.

Towel bounced down the pool to the tune of the Dam Busters.....

Awesome.

PS: I think it was Carling
Old Aug 10th 2005, 6:31 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
Perhaps it's just me, but...

I'd say that the problem is not the legal precedent but simply that the Brits are (mostly) too damned polite to remove the towels.

OK, we COULD remove the towels from loungers... How many Brits here WOULD!?!?!?! I know I wouldn't!

Like I said.. Perhaps it's just me!
You mean the towels weren't put there by the beach staffers for our exclusive use?
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Come on guys...I'm german and I'm pissed of about the towel thing as much as anybody else.

Hubby and I remove towels from sun beds and look totally surprised when anybody came and wanted to lay down ...infact we did that even with sun beds we not even needed
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:11 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Come on guys...I'm german and I'm pissed of about the towel thing as much as anybody else.

Hubby and I remove towels from sun beds and look totally surprised when anybody came and wanted to lay down ...infact we did that even with sun beds we not even needed
Nothing personal my friend. Just our weird sense of humor. You are free to take the micky out of any one of the following to do with Brits :-

1. 0-60 in 1 second when a wasp (yellow jacket) turns up at a pub.
2. Shirts off as soon as there is a break in the clouds (even if it's still raining).
3. WInd-breakers for the beach - a true British invention.
4. Make your own sandwiches for lunch because we are cheap (we make them *on* the beach).
5. Use the word "f**king" at least 3 times in a single sentence
6. Come up with a new name each season to describe what's hot/not (Dinks/Chavs/Yuppies/).
7. Make G-Strings a fashion statement
8. Drive over round-abouts not around roundabouts
9. Ban the word "Man-hole" cause it's sexist
10. Turn the country into a parking lot when we have one day off work (called a Bank Holiday) where we spend at least 4 hours getting somewhere and 4 hours getting back (typically to the beach). Just so as to get 8 hours off work

Germans and towels, we got you licked
Old Aug 10th 2005, 8:41 pm
Banned

SecretBeing is on a distinguished road

Theres nothing wrong whats so ever with German people, SO get that right. Germans are good hardworking people
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good article (linked to from the one posted above):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4263755.stm
Old Aug 10th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

And this is the reason, why Britain is so far at the bottom end when the Olympics are on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3039553.stm