British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   georgia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/georgia-385757/)

v8anglia Jul 19th 2006 3:56 pm

georgia

we are looking to move to georgia, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of living there?

mickmills Jul 19th 2006 4:14 pm

Re: georgia

Originally Posted by v8anglia
we are looking to move to georgia, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of living there?

what part of georgia are you thinking of moving to?

anotherlimey Jul 19th 2006 4:20 pm

I went to Atlanta last week and it sucked eggs big time; it's dirty and far too many rednecks.

I've heard that other parts are nicer.

Kate2112 Jul 19th 2006 4:28 pm

Any particular reason you chose Georgia?

Tbag Jul 19th 2006 4:33 pm

I lived in Atlanta for 7 years, the Hubbys work took us there for the 1996 Olympics. The city was at that point beginning to experience major growth.
Atlanta has a diverse population, great downtown, decent arts scene, variety of restaurants pretty much every kind of ethnic food you could want.
Traffic is pretty rotten but thats true of any major city.
Marta public transport, great if you live within the station limits.
(outside of 285 the commuter belt, not so convenient as we found out)
Affordable property, horrific heat in the summer Hence the nickname "Hotlanta" there is no air movement in July and August! But hey there's AC right?
We left 4 years ago just at the point when the downtown area really took off, as in more lifestyle geared towards living downtown, new housing etc.... pedestrianised lifestyle and IKEA!

Tbag Jul 19th 2006 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I went to Atlanta last week and it sucked eggs big time; it's dirty and far too many rednecks.

I've heard that other parts are nicer.

I'm sick of people saying that the south is full of rednecks.
I've been living in the south for 11 years, the people I have met here are some of the friendliest and most genuine people I have come across whilst in the States.
You will find stupidity and ignorance in every other city here in the US and wherever else you go in this world.

Irn-bru Jul 19th 2006 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Tbag
I've been living in the south for 11 years, the people I have met here are some of the friendliest and most genuine people I have come across whilst in the States.
You will find stupidity and ignorance in every other city here in the US and wherever else you go in this world.

I did find the southerners to be the friendliest people generally in the US really miss that here in the NW as it is a bit more like britain re being friendly. If they were as open and friendly as the south here I would be perfectly happy :D now I am just mildly happy :)

mickmills Jul 19th 2006 5:25 pm

amen to that

dan_alford Jul 19th 2006 5:27 pm

Another Amen.

anotherlimey Jul 19th 2006 5:29 pm

I'm saying in my opinion it was full of "rednecks"; I met enough of them to fill the GOP convention.

Irn-bru Jul 19th 2006 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Another Amen.

Preach it brother, preach it - oops I'm in the wrong forum again!

Ray Jul 19th 2006 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I'm saying in my opinion it was full of "rednecks"; I met enough of them to fill the GOP convention.

The rednecks around here call me a redneck.

Irn-bru Jul 19th 2006 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

maybe it's because of that sweater you wear.

anotherlimey Jul 19th 2006 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

You're a special case...

Ray Jul 19th 2006 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
maybe it's because of that sweater you wear.

I don't own a sweater or a coat .. I'm in FLA ...