georgia

Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all
Default Re: georgia

Originally Posted by v8anglia
we are looking to move to georgia, does anyone have any thoughts or experience of living there?

Hi there,

I am British and living in Orlando. I have family living in Georgia and they love it soooo much!! They live around the Kennesaw, Acworth, Marietta area and I have been there lot's of times to visit them. It is so beautiful in the fall and the climate is great, because there are still 4 seasons, but neither of them are too acute.

Actually, we emigrated here to Orlando and we are now considering a move over to Georgia because we have simply fallen in love with it. It is very scenic and house prices are still very reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Michelle.

<<email address removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jul 31st 2006 at 12:06 am.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

v8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nice

hi michelle, thanks for your reply, we`d love to move to florida but money wont allow thats why we thought of georgia do you have any more thoughts on georgia? what are the people like? its been difficult to tell with all the talk of racism and rednecks on here so far.
regards rosie paul and megan
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

michmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to allmichmel is a name known to all

Hi there Rosie, Paul and Megan,

It is very nice in the North West area, Acworth (is there place where I would pick as 1st choice) as it's sophisticated and has a 1st class Elementary School there called Ford Elementary and the High School is called Harrison High.

I also liked Kennesaw, Marietta, and all other areas in Cobb County.

I would say that I thought the people were very friendly indeed and I haven't seen a red neck up there ever in that area. It's very sophisticated and full of highly paid Corporate type people with very good jobs and standards.

The houses are soooo beautiful and they are still so reasonable compared to hear.

It is well worth taking a look at as a place to live. Whenever I go there I always speak to alot of people and they are say they like living there and that the crime rate is very low.

The people are very polite and gentle and actually are more friendlier than the people living here in Florida, we did notice that.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

Good Luck.

Michelle

<<email address removed>>

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jul 31st 2006 at 12:07 am.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

hi michelle, thanks for your reply, we`d love to move to florida but money wont allow thats why we thought of georgia do you have any more thoughts on georgia? what are the people like? its been difficult to tell with all the talk of racism and rednecks on here so far.
Hi Guys,
sorry your'e thread got pooped on I know you were trying to get some real and serious information. I thought Georgia was a very nice state to live in the 7 years I spent in Atlanta. Savannah is a touristy town, and not bad, good for visiting/holiday/long weekend, would not live there.
Atlanta and surrounding suburbs really do have what most people are looking for.......... if you want history/character in the downtown area, Atlanta doesn't really have too much, compared to for example "Boston" etc....
It is known as a transplant city but this can be good as there is a wide mix of people moving thru all the time. People are generally pretty friendly and will love to "Hear the way you talk" as they say in the south.
Atlanta Hartsfeild Jackson airport is one of the busiest in the country so you have plenty of access for international and domestic flights to just about anywhere. I would recommend staying in the Atlanta area if you do choose GA as there is not a huge amount else outside of this area except for very small pass thru pretty towns and farming etc...... you could be a bit cut off.
There is tons of new development going on and continues to do so....... lots of new housing........ we had a mortgage of $800 for 2200 sq ft, this was 4 years ago, you can get a good amount of space for the buck.
I hope this helped, don't be put off by the comments about the south, race, etc, you know this can turn in to a grounds to vent! If nothing else it shows you how diverse this country is and how passionate people can be about the area they live in, like friendly rivalries everywhere! I wish you all the best
Old Jul 26th 2006, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

AtlantaJohn will become famous soon enoughAtlantaJohn will become famous soon enough

I live in Atlanta and teach at Georgia Tech. I have lived in Miami as well before and Atlanta has a a much better quality of life hands down than especially if you have kids. If you are a professional it has the best job opportunites and wages outside NYC. The city is thriving and amongst other claims to fame it already has the highest expat UK population per capita in the US! Visit for a bit and see what you think.

Personally I would recomend living inside the i285 as it is probably the best investment and it will be a shorter commute. There are some very nice historic areas such as Virginna Highlands and Peachtree Hills. Right now many people who have originally moved to Florida from the NE are now moving back up to Georiga missing the seasons and being fed up with Florida property tax and insurance costs.

As for the comment about rednecks have the posters really been to the city of Atlanta in the last 25 years? Yes you have rednecks in parts of the state just like in Florida once you leave the coast or any other where in rural US, or England for that matter................................
Old Jul 28th 2006, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

v8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nicev8anglia is just really nice

are there any places that we should avoid?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:28 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

not sure yet trying to find out the best place to be, might end up somewhere else

I've lived in the Savannah area for 14 years and generally find it nice enough-the climate is far different from Northumberland (well except for your weather lately, ) but with AC it is tolerable. It would be nice to have some sense of the seasons here, but on the other hand I don't miss a 40 below zero winter either!
As for it being dirty? rundown? It's a city!!! That seems to come with the territory wherever you are-there's always a seedy area!
There HAS been a strong movement in the downtown area for homes being bought up and restored, so much so that some of the older original residents have had a tough time with the rising property taxes. Also, old warehouses etc are being made over into condos. It is a city, that is small enough to get your arms around. Certainly a different pace of life here than Atlanta. Atlanta folk often refer to here as "Slowvannah",
We're on the coast, so you have a beach nearby-Tybee Island. Florida is just 2 hrs south, and Mickyland another 2 1/2 hrs past that. If you want a change in topography, go to north Georgia for the mountains.
There are quite a few Brits here-JCB has their North American HQ here, and there are a large group-loads of Scots, working on contract at nearby Ft Stewart. There are several pubs in the area-3 English, 2 Scottish and numerous Irish. You can find some foods from home at the World Market, Kroger grocery chain and possibly here and there elsewhere.
Having said all that it can't be too horrible-it has been listed as one of the top 10 cities in the US to visit by Conde Nast travel magazine.

Living in the south as a damnyankee is interesting. The people ARE generally more open and friendly than in the north. Here in Georgia they WILL ask you what church you go to, but then in Virginia they ask who your "people" were. Different parts of the whole.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I do that to all the big breasted women I meet ...
Ah darn, that means I won't get a hug
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Ah darn, that means I won't get a hug
Your ok ... I go for more mature women as well!!!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

AtlantaJohn will become famous soon enoughAtlantaJohn will become famous soon enough

are there any places that we should avoid?
Yes a few for sure, mainly on the southside of Atlanta and some semi rural places. Things are really very area specific just like London and change within one mile to the next. Some intown areas have good schools others don't and you have to go private. Lots of people initally move outside the i285 known as OTP (outside the permiter) to the suburbs and then later wish they had moved a bit further in for the nightlife, public transport, walking neighbourhoods etc. A lot really depends on where you will work, budget, how long you intend to live in Atlanta for, like fixing up/living in an old house, kids etc. A friend from London bought a great historic 1920s house in Peachtree Hills with 3 beds and 2 baths for $450k early this year, his kids can walk to the local school which is very good and he can cycle to work! He is only here for 2 years but thinks he can make 50% on the house because its such a hot area, now he likes the area so much he is thinking of keeping it as a US holiday homeand renting to other expats on short term assignments. On the whole the state is on the up and is expected to grow by 2 million this decade.

Same also applies to Savannah on a smaller scale.

PM me with any specific questions and I will try and help. We deal with relocations every week here at GT.
Old Jul 31st 2006, 4:39 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

I Live in Georgia (Atlanta). A couple of funny stories about the "south"..

Driving into Alabama the other week, we stopped at McDonalds. Brought a box of 10 chicken nuggets. Got to the car, there were only 7 in there.

Went back into McDonalds and asked the lady how many chicken nuggets should be in a box of 10? SHe looked at me weired and shrugged. I asked the manager the same question and he laughed (as did everyone, in the fast food joint by now). So we get the next box, I count them (there are now 9 nuggets) and ask the same question, by now, everyone is pissing themselves. I get the next box and there are 12 in there.. I gave up, 2 nuggets for the better - Only in Alabama

Coming back last week from Panama City, we stopped at a Garage, in South (and I mean south) Georgia. My wife went in for jimmy riddle and came out and told me that 3 of the 4 cubicles had shower curtains instead of doors... She was not impressed !!!!!!!!!!

Only in the south
Old Jul 31st 2006, 5:43 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by franc11s
I Live in Georgia (Atlanta). A couple of funny stories about the "south"..

Driving into Alabama the other week, we stopped at McDonalds. Brought a box of 10 chicken nuggets. Got to the car, there were only 7 in there.

Went back into McDonalds and asked the lady how many chicken nuggets should be in a box of 10? SHe looked at me weired and shrugged. I asked the manager the same question and he laughed (as did everyone, in the fast food joint by now). So we get the next box, I count them (there are now 9 nuggets) and ask the same question, by now, everyone is pissing themselves. I get the next box and there are 12 in there.. I gave up, 2 nuggets for the better - Only in Alabama

Coming back last week from Panama City, we stopped at a Garage, in South (and I mean south) Georgia. My wife went in for jimmy riddle and came out and told me that 3 of the 4 cubicles had shower curtains instead of doors... She was not impressed !!!!!!!!!!

Only in the south

perhaps the cubicles were dual purpose?