Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gentlemen and Ladies - what did you do with your shed/garage full of tools/DIY stuff?

Gentlemen and Ladies - what did you do with your shed/garage full of tools/DIY stuff?

Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gentlemen and Ladies - what did you do with your shed/garage full of tools/DIY stuff?

So I am in the process of visa application and while I am not doing much until I get official confirmation etc I am getting shipping companies lined up for quotes etc.

But I have no idea what to do with the contents of my garage. I have years of accumulated tools and other diy materials. I will have to sell most of the electrical stuff (sanders, saws etc) at a loss, I am thinking of bringing my dewalt drills with me and just buying the charger in the US. But I want to know what others did? Did you bring your tools? Did you just sell them on?

I have some very expensive tools and some very cheap tools but due to weight and time constraints I am going to have to sell as a job lot on either eBay or gumtree.

Never mind just tools it's the idea of selling so much stuff on eBay that is just soul destroying. We have way too much crap.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:52 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gentlemen and Ladies - what did you do with your shed/garage full of tools/DIY st

Originally Posted by Funstuie
So I am in the process of visa application and while I am not doing much until I get official confirmation etc I am getting shipping companies lined up for quotes etc.

But I have no idea what to do with the contents of my garage. I have years of accumulated tools and other diy materials. I will have to sell most of the electrical stuff (sanders, saws etc) at a loss, I am thinking of bringing my dewalt drills with me and just buying the charger in the US. But I want to know what others did? Did you bring your tools? Did you just sell them on?

I have some very expensive tools and some very cheap tools but due to weight and time constraints I am going to have to sell as a job lot on either eBay or gumtree.

Never mind just tools it's the idea of selling so much stuff on eBay that is just soul destroying. We have way too much crap.
We made a list with everything that wasn't coming with us. Either didn't want it anymore, wouldn't work over here, or wasn't allowed and sent it to friends and family. Everything went and I get a facebook msg every so often saying that my iron is knackered and they want a refund . We took all the non electric tools, gardening tools and sorted it out at this end, and then started a new collection of crap sorry I mean 'things that will be useful one day'...
Old Jun 1st 2014, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Funstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond reputeFunstuie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gentlemen and Ladies - what did you do with your shed/garage full of tools/DIY st

Ok. I can pack up all the non electrical tools

We will probably end up with a full container at this stage now anyway.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 1:32 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we had a 30ft container and as it was paid for by hubby's company we filled that bad boy to bursting. We did have a good clear out UK end but ended up throwing quite a lot away over here while we were unpacking too! Of course we have managed to accumulate all that crap all over again in the past 6 years. I remember moving in and thinking "look at all the kitchen cabinets, I'll never fill them all", oopsies
Old Jun 1st 2014, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Springy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud ofSpringy6 has much to be proud of

We're going through the same process - car boot sales seem to have become my new Sunday morning pastime ! How much of a 4 bedroomed house will a 20ft container take? Finding it hard to visualise!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 4:02 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
We made a list with everything that wasn't coming with us. Either didn't want it anymore, wouldn't work over here, or wasn't allowed and sent it to friends and family. Everything went and I get a facebook msg every so often saying that my iron is knackered and they want a refund . We took all the non electric tools, gardening tools and sorted it out at this end, and then started a new collection of crap sorry I mean 'things that will be useful one day'...
We left USA in 1979 to live in England, then returned to the US in 1991. As soon as we were settled in our rental in fall of 1991, my sister in law showed up with all the junk (i.e. useful kitchen appliances etc.) that we'd left with her twelve years before. And there's us thinking we could buy new!
Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Springy6
We're going through the same process - car boot sales seem to have become my new Sunday morning pastime ! How much of a 4 bedroomed house will a 20ft container take? Finding it hard to visualise!
That depends what you're trying to ship. I recommend that you leave wardrobes and beds unless they are antiques or you have some other attachment to them. Beds in the US can be a right PITA because the sizes are all different. Wardrobes are unnecessary because houses have closet space, and often vastly bigger than a wardrobe you would have in a comparable bedroom in the UK. (A "small bedroom" in the US is going to be much larger than a "small bedroom" in the UK.)
Originally Posted by robin1234
We left USA in 1979 to live in England, then returned to the US in 1991. As soon as we were settled in our rental in fall of 1991, my sister in law showed up with all the junk (i.e. useful kitchen appliances etc.) that we'd left with her twelve years before. And there's us thinking we could buy new!
My inlaws downsized after my FIL retired by packing up what they wanted and leaving the house that Mrs P and I were also living in. Everything else in the house became ours, including a lawnmower, multiple garden tools (rakes, spades, axe, pickaxe, wheelbarrow, etc,), and all manner of other sundry housewares, camping supplies and equipment, and tools.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 1st 2014 at 5:11 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

My inlaws downsized after my FIL retired by packing up what they wanted and leaving the house that Mrs P and I were also living in. Everything else in the house became ours, including a lawnmower, multiple garden tools (rakes, spades, axe, pickaxe, wheelbarrow, etc,), and all manner of other sundry housewares, camping supplies and equipment, and tools.
I wish I had my parents' and grandparents' garden tools. I just broke yet another garden fork this morning. Need to buy a quality one, not a cheap one..
Old Jun 1st 2014, 5:58 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had my parents' and grandparents' garden tools. I just broke yet another garden fork this morning. Need to buy a quality one, not a cheap one..
http://www.garrettwade.com/professio...ls/p/79W04.01/

On sale

http://www.amazon.com/Spear-Jackson-.../dp/B001IYQQO6

The hardware store ones here don't last at all.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Might I recommend one of these. I have a similar one of the same brand that I have had for about 20 years that despite my size, strength, and enthuiasm, I have still not managed to damage it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 1st 2014 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Might I recommend one of these. I have a similar one of the same brand that I have had for about 20 years that despite my size, strength, and enthuiasm, I have still not managed to damage it.
Ooh, nice lines.

The fork, not you.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 6:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Thanks for that. I like Fiskars tools, we have a few smaller tools of theirs.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Ooh, nice lines.

The fork, not you.
That post started so well.