Reload this Page >

General Question on VWP

Wikiposts

General Question on VWP

Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

Paulie53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General Question on VWP

Hi I am new here and trying to find out information in regards to my impending trip to the USA..

I am a British Citizen so therefore able to travel on the VWP, I have already done my ESTA online, which has been approved. However, I do have a couple of questions if someone would be so kind as to guide me.

I am a mature student (55yrs old) doing my first degree (BA (hons) History) one of my courses is Family History, subsequently I have found out my Great Uncle x6 emigrated to New York in 1832, where he became famous as a pugilist.. not to interesting I know... I am writing a book on his life, and want to research more into the US side of things... As this is my first trip to the USA and my first time flying I have no idea what to expect when entering the USA re immigration people... I have read some awful stories in regards to this matter, and people being refused entry, so of course this worries me.. I have the new E Passport which has the chip and bio stuff.. Can anyone tell me what is contained on the chip, as I am worried it might contain totally personal information re my sexuality etc... What should I show the Immigration Officer when entering, I am only staying for three weeks, but only have a hotel booked in NY for 1 night, as I plan to travel around visiting Civil war sites in both Virginia and North Carolina. My great Uncle's son fought in the Civil war for the North in the 77th New York Infantry... I will have Travel Insurance for the whole time period I am there, as I have a hearing problem and wear aids. I will also have my laptop, external hard drive and digital voice recorder.. Could this cause any problems.. Also what I am likely to be asked etc...

This is a very scary moment for me, as I mentioned never having travelled abroad before, so have heard some horror stories re New York.. I will be travelling alone.. Should I bring my Student Statement with me? also lease on my flat etc, I won't be carrying too much cash as I have my Visa Debit card with me...

If anyone could assist me I would be eternally grateful.. It is all panic stations at the moment, as I really need to do this book....

Thank You

Paulie
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General Question on VWP

Originally Posted by Paulie53
a) I have already done my ESTA online, which has been approved.

b) this is my first trip to the USA and my first time flying I have no idea what to expect when entering the USA re immigration people

c) I have the new E Passport which has the chip and bio stuff.. Can anyone tell me what is contained on the chip

d) What should I show the Immigration Officer when entering

e) I am only staying for three weeks, but only have a hotel booked in NY for 1 night, as I plan to travel around visiting Civil war sites in both Virginia and North Carolina.

f) I will also have my laptop, external hard drive and digital voice recorder.. Could this cause any problems

g) Should I bring my Student Statement with me? also lease on my flat etc, I won't be carrying too much cash as I have my Visa Debit card with me...
a) Doesn't mean you get entry to the USA guaranteed. Likely, but not guaranteed. All entries of all non-US citizens are at the discretion of the border control agent at the point of entry. That sounds scary, but don't worry, and read on.

b) Your first entry is usually scrutinised a bit more than subsequent ones....the agent asked me "are you nervous" and stuff like that but I think I just got a bit of a pillock.

c) The only data on the chip is the data printed on your photo page.

d) Show nothing unless asked specifically, nor answer any questions extraneously....if a question can be answered with "yes" or "no" then just say that.

e) That's not a problem, as long as you can show you have the means to support yourself for the duration of the trip. You are applying for entry to the US, not just a corner of it. They don't care where you go within the US as long as you leave when you're supposed to.

f) Be aware that there is a new law that means that border control can inspect your equipment and data storage devices for data and delete whatever they feel like. Unlikely, but possible. If there's data you really are going to need when you are there, email it to yourself at an account you can access via webmail, just in case.

g) As it's your first time I would bring proof of your intent to return to the UK, such as:

Return ticket (most important)
Lease on your flat
Student Statement (does this show term time dates etc?)
If you also work, a letter from your emloyer confirming your approved vacation time from work and stating your expected return to work date

Again, don't volunteer this stuff unless you are asked for it!

One other thing - you don't mention this and don't be obliged to disclose it - but there are questions on the visa waiver entry form regarding criminal history - if you cannot answer NO to all of the questions, you may get a harder time at immigration - and you may be denied entry.

I-94 questions here:

http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/upl.../I-94_back.jpg

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Sep 18th 2008 at 11:28 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I am new here and trying to find out information in regards to my impending trip to the USA..

I am a British Citizen so therefore able to travel on the VWP, I have already done my ESTA online, which has been approved. However, I do have a couple of questions if someone would be so kind as to guide me.

I am a mature student (55yrs old) doing my first degree (BA (hons) History) one of my courses is Family History, subsequently I have found out my Great Uncle x6 emigrated to New York in 1832, where he became famous as a pugilist.. not to interesting I know... I am writing a book on his life, and want to research more into the US side of things... As this is my first trip to the USA and my first time flying I have no idea what to expect when entering the USA re immigration people... I have read some awful stories in regards to this matter, and people being refused entry, so of course this worries me.. I have the new E Passport which has the chip and bio stuff.. Can anyone tell me what is contained on the chip, as I am worried it might contain totally personal information re my sexuality etc... What should I show the Immigration Officer when entering, I am only staying for three weeks, but only have a hotel booked in NY for 1 night, as I plan to travel around visiting Civil war sites in both Virginia and North Carolina. My great Uncle's son fought in the Civil war for the North in the 77th New York Infantry... I will have Travel Insurance for the whole time period I am there, as I have a hearing problem and wear aids. I will also have my laptop, external hard drive and digital voice recorder.. Could this cause any problems.. Also what I am likely to be asked etc...

This is a very scary moment for me, as I mentioned never having travelled abroad before, so have heard some horror stories re New York.. I will be travelling alone.. Should I bring my Student Statement with me? also lease on my flat etc, I won't be carrying too much cash as I have my Visa Debit card with me...

If anyone could assist me I would be eternally grateful.. It is all panic stations at the moment, as I really need to do this book....

Thank You

Paulie
Hi Paulie....welcome to BE.
I expect you're really excited about your first trip over here. Immigration shouldn't be a problem to you. I don't know what they put on the computer chip I'm afraid. Before you get to immigration (usually while you're on the plane) you'll be asked to fill in 2 forms...one for customs, one for immigration..no big deal. Then when you get off the plane you'll join the (often very long) line for non USCs for immigration check. They'll probably ask you why you're over here, where you're staying, how long for? Just give them the name of the hotel you have booked in NYC, don't offer any information they don't ask for, answer the questions truthfully and you should be fine. You could bring over examples of your ties to the UK (student letter and flat rental info you mentioned) but don't produce it unless asked. The officers moods vary greatly, you may get one who laughs and jokes with you...you may not!!
After you've cleared immigration you go to baggage claim and then through customs.
Have fun !!
Old Sep 18th 2008, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Thank You Britishguy and Lisa...In fact I am more than excited but also very daunted by the whole ordeal as the furthest I have been is Calais .... However, that being said, I have no criminal record and have no intention of ever getting one, This book is exceedingly important to me.. Unfortunately I do not work due to my hearing problems, so am doing my degree part time, however, that being said I do have my student Statement of Academic record which has all past courses and my new courses for this year, Thankfully it is all done via Open University and online... I will also be carrying my folder with all my information and photographs of my great uncle, and other family members which are also on my laptop

Oh dear regarding stuff on my laptop and external hard drive as all my course work and studies are on there, which I shall continue doing whilst in the USA. Most definately nothing untoward...

Is NY a very safe place to be if one is alone??? I will be staying the night near Brooklyn as that is where my great uncle lived and is buried nearby... I am then hoping to rent a car and drive down to Virginia and North Carolina.

Should I do an itinerary for where I am going and what I am doing....
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't bother with the itinerary.

The chances are you will pass through immigration no problem.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
I wouldn't bother with the itinerary.

The chances are you will pass through immigration no problem.
I have heard it's almost impossible to be turned back on your first trip.

My guess is that you'll be asked something like "Purpose of your visit" - and you can say "pleasure" "holiday" whatever like that - and they will say "welcome to America".

Nothing about this looks suspicious imo.

New York is like any other big city in a civilised country. Think of it the same as a city in the UK - avoid areas that seem very poor with rough-looking people around.

btw... I am not criticising the poor - there are many very nice poor people. However, it is an unfortunate fact here, that big city ghettos (very poor areas) are the areas that are generally unsafe.

If you are in any of the tourist areas of New York, you should be fine. Again, like in any big city in the world, don't have your wallet hanging out of your back pocket
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank You Britishguy and Lisa...In fact I am more than excited but also very daunted by the whole ordeal as the furthest I have been is Calais .... However, that being said, I have no criminal record and have no intention of ever getting one, This book is exceedingly important to me.. Unfortunately I do not work due to my hearing problems, so am doing my degree part time, however, that being said I do have my student Statement of Academic record which has all past courses and my new courses for this year, Thankfully it is all done via Open University and online... I will also be carrying my folder with all my information and photographs of my great uncle, and other family members which are also on my laptop

Oh dear regarding stuff on my laptop and external hard drive as all my course work and studies are on there, which I shall continue doing whilst in the USA. Most definately nothing untoward...

Is NY a very safe place to be if one is alone??? I will be staying the night near Brooklyn as that is where my great uncle lived and is buried nearby... I am then hoping to rent a car and drive down to Virginia and North Carolina.

Should I do an itinerary for where I am going and what I am doing....
Hi:

Amtrak train service down to DC is pretty good and a lot cheaper than car rental, fuel costs and road tolls.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:36 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

..........I won't be carrying too much cash as I have my Visa Debit card with me...

Thank You

Paulie
If you are planning to hire a car, you will also need a CREDIT card. In fact, bring several bits of plastic, in case one doesn't work, gets lost etc.

(It works out cheaper if you arrange the car hire beforehand. Also, off-airport locations are cheaper.)

And I agree with Mr. F - use Amtrak down to DC. You could pick up a car from an Arlington location (close to a Metro station).

Last edited by Elvira; Sep 19th 2008 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:03 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am writing a book on his life, and want to research more into the US side of things...
I wouldn't mention the book or your research. If you do mention the book, do *not* say anything like, "I'm going to be working on a book" because once they hear the word "work", things will very quickly turn against you. Anyway... I wouldn't mention the book or your research at all.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 19th 2008 at 2:06 am.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I wouldn't mention the book or your research. If you do mention the book, do *not* say anything like, "I'm going to be working on a book" because once they hear the word "work", things will very quickly turn against you. Anyway... I wouldn't mention the book or your research at all.

Ian
Good point.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Oh yes I didn't think about the research and work, will it matter that I shall have all that documentation with me, or should I just leave the file and have it all on my external hard drive???

Oh yes Amtrak, I forgot that the USA has that... slow and old age methinks...I will check out Amtrak right now....

Thank you all so much, at least I am not panicking as badly...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elvira
If you are planning to hire a car, you will also need a CREDIT card. In fact, bring several bits of plastic, in case one doesn't work, gets lost etc.

(It works out cheaper if you arrange the car hire beforehand. Also, off-airport locations are cheaper.)

And I agree with Mr. F - use Amtrak down to DC. You could pick up a car from an Arlington location (close to a Metro station).
Hi:

Also, make sure you have an ATM card that works on the US networks.

On the credit card for car rental, inquire BEFORE you leave to see if it covers damage and liability on rental cars. The "CDW" coverage on a rental car can be quite pricey. If your credit card has the coverage, you can waive the CDW and save a whole boodle of change. BTW, the CDW charges usually are NOT quoted in the on-line price. Also, there will be additional taxes and fees -- but they are not all that onerous.

Also, I don't know if they exist in Europe -- but over here there are consolidators [such as Kenwell] where you make the reservations here for a car in Europe, pay in advance and then they send you an e-mail voucher. With the voucher you find out who is actually renting the car to you -- but is always a major -- Hertz, Avis, National, Sixt. The price savings have been quite spectacular.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:04 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes I didn't think about the research and work, will it matter that I shall have all that documentation with me, or should I just leave the file and have it all on my external hard drive???

Oh yes Amtrak, I forgot that the USA has that... slow and old age methinks...I will check out Amtrak right now....

Thank you all so much, at least I am not panicking as badly...
If asked ..you are a civil war buff ..hoping to visit some sites
which is pretty much true
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
On the credit card for car rental, inquire BEFORE you leave to see if it covers damage and liability on rental cars. The "CDW" coverage on a rental car can be quite pricey. If your credit card has the coverage, you can waive the CDW and save a whole boodle of change. BTW, the CDW charges usually are NOT quoted in the on-line price. Also, there will be additional taxes and fees -- but they are not all that onerous.

Also, I don't know if they exist in Europe -- but over here there are consolidators [such as Kenwell] where you make the reservations here for a car in Europe, pay in advance and then they send you an e-mail voucher. With the voucher you find out who is actually renting the car to you -- but is always a major -- Hertz, Avis, National, Sixt. The price savings have been quite spectacular.
In my experience (rented a car on 7 out of my 8 trips to the US) if you book a car rental through a UK travel agent, the CDW is almost always bundled in anyway, as part of the deal. Worth checking though.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 3:23 am
Just Joined

Oh dear so much to remember, Maybe I should just go shopping in New York instead, so much easier... Does anyone know if Lloyds TSB Visa Debit card is usable in the USA.. though I don't have a credit card per se, all my monies go into this account....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.