Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

General hello and question on qualifications

General hello and question on qualifications

Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:11 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General hello and question on qualifications

Just one question to the OP: if your employer is paying for your degree, won't they expect you to stay with them for a few years at least?

Actually, I have another question: do you speak Mississippian?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

companies like this are very useful... my B.Sc was converted to an american M.Sc when I moved over which helped in all sorts of ways..

its all down to what you did on your course and what grades you acheived.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:27 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington Wolf
I'm currently going through the process of applying to become a 'Professional Engineer' because it seem to be a barrier to career progress (it's a bit like the chartered engineer thing back home).
I haven't even started with the Delaware PE board yet!
Most software "engineers" don't have engineering degrees and there really isn't a Professional Engineering category for them.

For example in Texas there's an exam you sit when you graduate university, then you are expected to work under a mentor (who must be themselves a PE) and then you sit another exam to get your own PE. Since there aren't any software PEs yet, no one can mentor; and there's not even an exam.

For other disciplines, most especially civil engineering, you MUST be a PE to advance your career. Most state PE boards want an ABET-accredited degree and that is probably what has to be sorted out first. There may be a UK equivalent they'll accept (there are other foreign universities that are recognised) and that's where the money goes to have your UK degree vetted.

Sometimes work experience can help towards years of study (depending on the state) and again, that work experience has to be "translated" and is based on your job duties and responsibilities.

It is frustrating enough to have a US degree and deal with the PE board.... I wish you luck!

Amy
EIT TSPE (Engineer-In-Training, will never be a PE, Texas Society of Professional Engineers)
Old Jun 28th 2006, 5:56 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just one question to the OP: if your employer is paying for your degree, won't they expect you to stay with them for a few years at least?

Actually, I have another question: do you speak Mississippian?
No, there are no contractual ties to stay with the company upon completion. I assume they will give me a pay rise in the hope of keeping me if I do get the degree. They will know I will look for a better job, or they should know.

And as for Mississippian, I don't think so. I have a bit of trouble understanding some of the people there, but I guess they have the same problem with me.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:13 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
No, there are no contractual ties to stay with the company upon completion. I assume they will give me a pay rise in the hope of keeping me if I do get the degree. They will know I will look for a better job, or they should know.
Besides, getting married and having to relocate is a fact of life anyway, whether it is to London or the US.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:14 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

the problem with getting your degrees and stuff translated, different people and places will require you to get it done with different places, so it could all be a waste of money getting it done in advance....if your CV is strong enough and with a degree, it should be enough to get you a shoe in....but it really is all down to networking, so check out www.linkedin.com and see if any of your friends are in it, and see what contacts they might have that you could trying contacting etc...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
For other disciplines, most especially civil engineering, you MUST be a PE to advance your career. Most state PE boards want an ABET-accredited degree and that is probably what has to be sorted out first. There may be a UK equivalent they'll accept (there are other foreign universities that are recognised) and that's where the money goes to have your UK degree vetted.
ABET, somin' similar in the UK and there's some sort of agreement, JAJ posted a link to that engineer bloke asking questions in moving to the UK forum...
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:35 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

And as for Mississippian, I don't think so. I have a bit of trouble understanding some of the people there, but I guess they have the same problem with me.
Just speak slowly and if you can, speak like one of the characters on "are you being served?" as that is what they expect all English people to sound like.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:53 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Just speak slowly and if you can, speak like one of the characters on "are you being served?" as that is what they expect all English people to sound like.

EVERYTHING in Mississippi is soooooooooooo slooooooooooow...

Completely different mind set I tell ya! :scared:
Old Jun 28th 2006, 6:53 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Elvira
EVERYTHING in Mississippi is soooooooooooo slooooooooooow...
Except the reproduction rate.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

I've posted a little in the marriage based immigration forums to get answers to specific queries on the clerical side of things, and thought I would now take a moment to introduce myself and ask some culture related questions (it's not much use to know how to get there, but not have a clue once I am there!).

I'm Adam, I'm 23 and from the Northeast of England. The other person in my life, Robin, is is Mississippi (a little west of Jackson), and this is where I hope to end up. For the past 5 years I have worked in software engineering doing work for the British Government, working for a big US outsourcing company. it's my hope that my experience and my employment in both government work and with a US company will help me get a job over there.

My main question is to do with qualifications. My employer currently is paying for me to do a bachelors degree, which will be finished a year from now. This will give me a BSc (Hons) Information Systems. I have read on this forum that when making a resume that it is adviseable to put down US equivalents of qualifications to help employers understand what you have to offer. Is there a guide, or can someone help me understand how UK academic qualifications (I also have some NVQs I gained while working here) map onto US qualifications?

Things like GED, high school diploma, the difference between college and university and the rest of the school structure confuses me.

I appreciate any advice I get, and I look forward to talking to some of you a little more.

Regards,
Adam.
Adam, welcome to British Expats. You will find a lot of useful information on this site. I came here with a degree from Manchester Polytechnic. I work in education and needed to get my degree 'translated' be WES. Someone mentioned that there are a lot of different companies that do this and employers work with different degree companies. This is good advice. Check out which company your potential employer uses and then get your degree translated with that company. The whole process may seem ridiculous but it works both ways. I am going back to the UK next year to live and I am having to do the same thing with my Master's degree (US degree in psychology) in the UK. Be prepared to jump through some hoops that you wouldn't have had to jump through if you had decided to stay in the UK. That's just the way it is. I think you will find a lot of opportunities here in the US and you will have, at the very least, a good learning experience! My only concern for you is living in Mississippi. Have you visited the state? Do you know what it is like? You may find it more appealing to move to a large urban area on one of the coasts. If you are moving all this way for your partner, your partner may be able to relocate to one of the coasts. Just a thought. Good luck with your move!
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:10 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by simongb
You may find it more appealing to move to a large urban area on one of the coasts. If you are moving all this way for your partner, your partner may be able to relocate to one of the coasts. Just a thought. Good luck with your move!
....or some large urban areas NOT on the east or west coasts.

There is civilisation between the two. In a few patches.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
....or some large urban areas NOT on the east or west coasts.

There is civilisation between the two. In a few patches.
True, there is civilisation in the middle! A friend of mine wants to move to Austin, TX next year. How is it out there?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:25 am
Lapine Member

True, there is civilisation in the middle! A friend of mine wants to move to Austin, TX next year. How is it out there?
Lovely IF you can bear the heat. That does a lot of furriners in.

There are a few folk here who live in Austin and other parts of Texas.

My husband, who's Dutch, likes it just fine here.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:29 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

My only concern for you is living in Mississippi. Have you visited the state? Do you know what it is like? You may find it more appealing to move to a large urban area on one of the coasts. If you are moving all this way for your partner, your partner may be able to relocate to one of the coasts. Just a thought. Good luck with your move!
Yes, I was there a few weeks back (first 2 weeks of June), that was the hotest I have had it before. My partner is from the country, she has an established career where she is and is very close to her family. I said I was willing to move there as my ties to home were a lot weaker than hers are. For the same reasons I am happy to go to MS rather than expect her to move away to an urban environment. In time maybe, but for the forseable future I am aiming for small-town Mississippi to be my home.

Thanks for the advice on my qualifications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.