Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

General hello and question on qualifications

General hello and question on qualifications

Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:58 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default General hello and question on qualifications

Hello there,

I've posted a little in the marriage based immigration forums to get answers to specific queries on the clerical side of things, and thought I would now take a moment to introduce myself and ask some culture related questions (it's not much use to know how to get there, but not have a clue once I am there!).

I'm Adam, I'm 23 and from the Northeast of England. The other person in my life, Robin, is is Mississippi (a little west of Jackson), and this is where I hope to end up. For the past 5 years I have worked in software engineering doing work for the British Government, working for a big US outsourcing company. it's my hope that my experience and my employment in both government work and with a US company will help me get a job over there.

My main question is to do with qualifications. My employer currently is paying for me to do a bachelors degree, which will be finished a year from now. This will give me a BSc (Hons) Information Systems. I have read on this forum that when making a resume that it is adviseable to put down US equivalents of qualifications to help employers understand what you have to offer. Is there a guide, or can someone help me understand how UK academic qualifications (I also have some NVQs I gained while working here) map onto US qualifications?

Things like GED, high school diploma, the difference between college and university and the rest of the school structure confuses me.

I appreciate any advice I get, and I look forward to talking to some of you a little more.

Regards,
Adam.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General hello and question on qualifications

Get your UK qualification translated into American by companies such as
http://www.wes.org/
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Get your UK qualification translated into American by companies such as
http://www.wes.org/
Bear in mind, these companies are not regulated so anyone can provide this service. Caveat emptor!

PS: have you read the FAQ at the top of this forum about immigration to the US? That's a good place to start.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome!

Enjoy the ride
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:52 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Bear in mind, these companies are not regulated so anyone can provide this service. Caveat emptor!

PS: have you read the FAQ at the top of this forum about immigration to the US? That's a good place to start.
I've looked at this WES service I am less than impressed. $100 for them to say a bachelors degree is a bachelors degree. Sure.

Yes, I have read the FAQ. Using them I think I am now pretty much ok with the main process of the K1 visa application and then the AOS application. It's just been small details and dates that I have had to question, mainly things relating to my own circumstances.

Thanks for the help on this matter.

Regards,
Adam
Old Jun 28th 2006, 12:58 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
I've looked at this WES service I am less than impressed. $100 for them to say a bachelors degree is a bachelors degree. Sure.
You may not get far without it .......
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:09 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Ray
You may not get far without it .......
I see...

Has anyone else had experience of this, or come across any problems for not having it?

Originally Posted by WES website
If you completed your education outside of the U.S., you must have your credentials evaluated in order to have them understood and recognized by educational institutions, employers, licensing and certification boards in the U.S.
Is this an actual requirement, or just this company saying it's best to have it done if you want employers to understand the qualifications you have?

This is a little more complex than I first thought.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:10 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

I've posted a little in the marriage based immigration forums to get answers to specific queries on the clerical side of things, and thought I would now take a moment to introduce myself and ask some culture related questions (it's not much use to know how to get there, but not have a clue once I am there!).

I'm Adam, I'm 23 and from the Northeast of England. The other person in my life, Robin, is is Mississippi (a little west of Jackson), and this is where I hope to end up. For the past 5 years I have worked in software engineering doing work for the British Government, working for a big US outsourcing company. it's my hope that my experience and my employment in both government work and with a US company will help me get a job over there.

My main question is to do with qualifications. My employer currently is paying for me to do a bachelors degree, which will be finished a year from now. This will give me a BSc (Hons) Information Systems. I have read on this forum that when making a resume that it is adviseable to put down US equivalents of qualifications to help employers understand what you have to offer. Is there a guide, or can someone help me understand how UK academic qualifications (I also have some NVQs I gained while working here) map onto US qualifications?

Things like GED, high school diploma, the difference between college and university and the rest of the school structure confuses me.

I appreciate any advice I get, and I look forward to talking to some of you a little more.

Regards,
Adam.
What sort of IT skills/languages do you have? I am always getting calls from Recruitment agencies who do not read my resume correctly and think I want a Job in Jackson, MS where in fact it says Jackson, TN.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:16 am
Ray

I see...
Has anyone else had experience of this, or come across any problems for not having it?
You have to remember as far as Americans are concerned...the world end at their borders ... If its not American ..its not real ....
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I've always just put bachelors degree with honors on my resume and have had no problems. In a couple of cases the person interviewing me gave more weight to an English degree than American, at least that's what they said and I did get the job. Also, list out programming languages and other IT skills as well as any technical certifications like microsoft or whatever.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:10 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I have read the FAQ. Using them I think I am now pretty much ok with the main process of the K1 visa application and then the AOS application. It's just been small details and dates that I have had to question, mainly things relating to my own circumstances.

Thanks for the help on this matter.

Regards,
Adam

$100 is a very small amount of money to help you get your resume read - 55 GBP. I'm not recommending this services but if its not worth that much to you.....well good luck petal
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:17 am
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Kate2112
$100 is a very small amount of money to help you get your resume read - 55 GBP. I'm not recommending this services but if its not worth that much to you.....well good luck petal
Hehe, when it's put into pounds it seems a lot more acceptable. I need to get used to thinking like that. Money and measurments are going to take some time.

Thanks for the different view on it.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:19 am
Junior Showtime

Kate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond reputeKate2112 has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, when it's put into pounds it seems a lot more acceptable. I need to get used to thinking like that. Money and measurments are going to take some time.

Thanks for the different view on it.

You're welcome..here's a quick currency converter I often use it to make myself feel better about spending too many Dollars lol!!

http://www.xe.com/ucc/
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:27 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

I see...

Is this an actual requirement, or just this company saying it's best to have it done if you want employers to understand the qualifications you have?

This is a little more complex than I first thought.
American employers will understand a Bachelor's degree. Companies such as WES become useful if you have professional training (such as medical or architectural) and want to become accredited and licensed in the US. Also if you did not complete your degree in the UK and want to continue your studies in the US they will let you know how many "credits" you have so you don't have to do any unnecessary work.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:56 am
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

I'm currently going through the process of applying to become a 'Professional Engineer' because it seem to be a barrier to career progress (it's a bit like the chartered engineer thing back home).

But, the Delaware PE board don't recognise foreign degrees like mine. So, I've been sent to the ECEI which is recognised by them (and nationally by other PE boards) to have them accredited. However, it's expensive ($465), a long process (12-16 weeks) and unnecessarily complicated. They request all sorts of information about your degree, which is fine if you've completed recently but I graduated one of my degrees 17 years ago - even the University doesn't have the information that the ECEI want.

I haven't even started with the Delaware PE board yet!

Has anybody else had similar experiences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.