Reload this Page >

General bits and bobs.

General bits and bobs.

Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

EscapeToMich is an unknown quantity at this point
Default General bits and bobs.

So...

I'm sure this has been covered before but i got a few pages in and couldn't see anything.

Obviously once you are in the US you need to do certain things.

1. What on earth do i do with my driving license once i get to MI?
2. How do i go about setting up a bank account? Can i do this before my Visa comes through or do i have to wait for my SSN?
3. Do PF Changs have a discount card?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General bits and bobs.

Originally Posted by EscapeToMich
So...

I'm sure this has been covered before but i got a few pages in and couldn't see anything.

2. How do i go about setting up a bank account? Can i do this before my Visa comes through or do i have to wait for my SSN?

Hello again.

Take a look at Michigan's DMV website...it will tell you how long you can drive using a UK license. It varies from state to state...some say 30 days...others allow you months before you are required to get a new DL.

IMO it's best to get one ASAP...it gets it out of the way and will reduce your insurance premium. You may or may not have to take a practical test...don't worry about this...driving tests here are nothing like the one you took in the UK.

Yes you can open a bank account without a SS # but trying to convince a bank that you can do this may prove a little frustrating.

There is a search function tab located towards the top of the page. This should help you pull up past threads about all sorts of subjects re life in the US. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again

I'll have a poke around and see what i can find!

I'm guessing that's a no on the changs discount card
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Re insurance: can't remember what the DMV say, but you may find that your insurance company put a stipulation in to say that you must pass your test within a certain period of time. The Michigan test is quite comprehensive but ok to pass first time if you're a good driver. Check out Courtesy and Apple driving schools on the Internet - they are local to the area. You will arrange your test through a driving school.

Don't fret about PF Changs, you'll be spoilt for choice on the restaurant front. Plus the service at the one in Troy can be spotty as it's so darn busy.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

The one in Somerset Mall? My other half works there let me know if you want to avoid a 3 hour table wait on a Saturday night .

Thanks for the info on insurance, that is one thing i am having to do a lot of digging for. Health insurance, dental, motor, home. I cant wait to find out all the other little costs I'm going to have to account for :sunglasses:
Old Nov 17th 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Karen68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really niceKaren68 is just really nice

Yup, the one at Somerset. The last two times we've been there - once we had a table booked and still had to wait 15/20 mins and other time the waitress couldn't care less if we were there or not until it registered with her to start being nicer to us close to paying the bill time. Unfortunately for her she didn't get the 20% tip. Have not been back since because of the service but the food was lovely.

Can't help you with medical or dental insurance as it's company stuff for us. Your car and house insurance should be cheaper if you bundle them together. You'll pay more for your car insurance until you pass your test.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The one in Somerset Mall? My other half works there let me know if you want to avoid a 3 hour table wait on a Saturday night .

Thanks for the info on insurance, that is one thing i am having to do a lot of digging for. Health insurance, dental, motor, home. I cant wait to find out all the other little costs I'm going to have to account for :sunglasses:
IMO healthcare insurance should be your #1 priority. Can you get added onto your OH's policy...if so when will begin to kick in?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Karen68
Yup, the one at Somerset. The last two times we've been there - once we had a table booked and still had to wait 15/20 mins and other time the waitress couldn't care less if we were there or not until it registered with her to start being nicer to us close to paying the bill time. Unfortunately for her she didn't get the 20% tip. Have not been back since because of the service but the food was lovely.

Can't help you with medical or dental insurance as it's company stuff for us. Your car and house insurance should be cheaper if you bundle them together. You'll pay more for your car insurance until you pass your test.

Sounds like a very unpleasant experience. The tip culture in the US where they just expect it does trouble me somewhat but i guess its something that i will have to get used to.

Bundling does sound like a good idea to me!

So... Just how cold does it get in the winter? I'm over in Jan and the "quite cold" that my girlfriend keeps telling me is not very.... precise.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

So... Just how cold does it get in the winter? I'm over in Jan and the "quite cold" that my girlfriend keeps telling me is not very.... precise.
January, ooh.

Well, I can no longer work in Celsius, so, we are often at 0 farenheit or below overnight, and if it gets up to freezing it's a really warm day. You can tell at end March/beg April when it gets above freezing - it's really noticeable.

Just bring every item of warm clothing you have. If you don't have a winter coat or some good boots, get your girlfriend to take you to REI as soon as you arrive to buy some. The money won't be wasted if you're coming to live here.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

2- You don't need a SSN to open a bank account for a none interest baring account. You might have to ask to speak to a supervisor rather than the regular teller if they don't have experience .

3 - Yes, kind of. It's a loyalty card that can get you promo special meals and every 10th meal free or some such deal. You also get your birthday dinner reduced, or free.

The noodles are lovely, but my word, they are up there as one of the most unhealthy restaurants to eat at

The cold isn't to bad, you won't spend much time outside. It's all about layering, just enough to get you from front door to car and then putting it on again to get from car to mall/work, whatever.

Good boots are a worthwhile investment, not just the cold, but the grip....and decent driving gloves.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
2- You don't need a SSN to open a bank account for a none interest baring account. You might have to ask to speak to a supervisor rather than the regular teller if they don't have experience .

3 - Yes, kind of. It's a loyalty card that can get you promo special meals and every 10th meal free or some such deal. You also get your birthday dinner reduced, or free.

The noodles are lovely, but my word, they are up there as one of the most unhealthy restaurants to eat at

The cold isn't to bad, you won't spend much time outside. It's all about layering, just enough to get you from front door to car and then putting it on again to get from car to mall/work, whatever.

Good boots are a worthwhile investment, not just the cold, but the grip....and decent driving gloves.
Excellent,

Thanks Bob! I've always wanted an excuse to buy driving gloves
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Bob! I've always wanted an excuse to buy driving gloves
Yeah, I thought it was pretty pretentious myself at first, decent gloves would do...but yeah, those warm weather gloves, not so great for driving in, grip as well as not flicking on the wipers when you meant the light kind of thing and especially once the car warms up