British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/geeky-husband-wants-ship-electronics-hobby-items-any-advice-895316/)

Rete Apr 12th 2017 4:48 pm

Re: Geeky husband wants to ship electronics hobby items ,any advice?

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12227695)
I was thinking the same thing ..... don't mess with a guy's stuff! :frown:

That might make for a cold and lonely bed at night. :o;)

Pulaski Apr 12th 2017 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by dj6372 (Post 12227767)
.... I live in a small 1 bed apartment, all my 'crap' is filed in a large chest of drawers.

I will just point out that when 'er indoors' was struggling with wifi at her new build hotel, Mr DJ6372 saved the day with offerings from his altar of 'crap'

It doesn't matter how often I fix things around the house with bits and/or tools pulled from the cabinet in the office, the bonus room, the wire shelves in the laundry room, the garage, crawlspace, shed, or storage unit, Mrs P always thinks I have too much stuff. :(

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12227782)
That might make for a cold and lonely bed at night. ....

My thoughts exactly if Mrs P messes with my stuff! :frown:

lansbury Apr 12th 2017 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12227764)
............just dumping some crap that can be easily repurchased here :starsmile:

Geeks unite! :nod:

Point of Order

Nothing is crap and if you dump it, it will be needed later.

lansbury Apr 12th 2017 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12227795)
It doesn't matter how often I fix things around the house with bits and/or tools pulled from the cabinet in the office, bonus room, garage, crawlspace, shed, or storage unit, Mrs P always thinks I have too much stuff. :(

My thoughts exactly if Mrs P messes with my stuff! :frown:

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:

LouisB Apr 12th 2017 5:33 pm

I feel for this, I'm a similar kind of hardware and computers guy.

For now, I'm leaving my collection of vintage music gear, synths, amps, hi-if and mostly everything like that behind.

Later, I may ship or sell it if we stay.

For now I'm taking things that are;

A. Essential
B. Irreplaceable
C. Small (some small gadgets no issue to take)
D. Expensive or hard to find

I figure everything else is replaceable.

I suppose though we're starting out by travelling out light with the idea more can follow later.

If I we shipping our whole house and had a container, I might be tempted to take it all.

Then again we're starting in Manhattan which breaks the rule US houses are larger than UK ones. Really depends where you live and how much money you have. Just as in the UK, you can get acres of space for not much in the sticks, however try the main cities and you might have a matchbox for lots of money.

I guess if you're shipping loads already, it's definitely permenant and you have space, why not ship it all. Although, as pointed out it's a great time for a purge and clear out.

We're packing now and just gave a vans worth to charity. It's only stuff. Out with the old and in with the new :)

I guess what very you decide, when it comes to a man's stuff and man cave gear - only the man can decide what stays and what goes.

mrken30 Apr 12th 2017 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12227818)
Point of Order

Nothing is crap and if you dump it, it will be needed later.

I really regret leaving my 5 1/4 inch disk drive behind.

LouisB Apr 12th 2017 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12227830)

:) haha.

livinginnyc Apr 12th 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 12227830)

https://www.howtogeek.com/wp-content...1-15-11-16.jpg

S.Susan Apr 12th 2017 6:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 12227638)
My heart goes out to you. I live with one of those geeks and have had the third bedroom turned into a playroom for electronics, piece parts, computers from the dinosaur era and every other gadget electronic he can lay his hands on. My advice: Leave it all behind and let him start fresh.

I know what you talking about !! we convert half our garage to his electronic lab and it is full of crap in my opinion ...after I told him to tidy up so many times, then he installed a code lock to stop me going inside.

Pulaski Apr 12th 2017 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by S.Susan (Post 12227887)
I know what you talking about !! we convert half our garage to his electronic lab and it is full of crap in my opinion ...after I told him to tidy up so many times, then he installed a code lock to stop me going inside.

So at least his hobby has some practical uses. :rofl:

S.Susan Apr 12th 2017 6:52 pm

after I checked the rental price in the bay area where we will move to , my only thought is : bloody hell ! are we moving to Kensington ? it is bloody expensive! so I told him we only can rent 2 two bedroom flat which mean he will not have his electronic lab anymore and he is still sulking about this idea.

Sheepdip Apr 12th 2017 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by LouisB (Post 12227829)
For now, I'm leaving my collection of vintage music gear, synths, amps, hi-if and mostly everything like that behind.

I regret selling my Ensoniq Mirage before we came over.....

SpoogleDrummer Apr 12th 2017 7:09 pm

I sold most of my electronic stuff before I left, even getting more than I paid for some of it. My theory was I could just replace it with newer versions if I needed to. Just be warned that if you take one hobby off him he may develop another. As someone who spent a lot of their time with computers and soldering irons I now have an large collection of drills, saws and other power tools that are all over my house and always on the lookout for more.

mrken30 Apr 12th 2017 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer (Post 12227906)
I sold most of my electronic stuff before I left, even getting more than I paid for some of it. My theory was I could just replace it with newer versions if I needed to. Just be warned that if you take one hobby off him he may develop another. As someone who spent a lot of their time with computers and soldering irons I now have an large collection of drills, saws and other power tools that are all over my house and always on the lookout for more.

Funny how that happens, the same thing happened to me. I have chain saws, bench drills, bench saws, and assortment of other tools that I did not even think about owning when back in the UK.

The electronics took up much less space.

LouisB Apr 12th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 12227904)
I regret selling my Ensoniq Mirage before we came over.....

Nice. I just let an Ensoniq EPS-16+R go, something I'd had forever too.

I may regret, then again I suppose I could find another, it was big and heavy and would have needed a 110v transformer.

Still leaves more than 10 other synths and stuff but I tell myself I'm making progress. (Or maybe it is an excuse for out with the old in with the new).

I'm not taking any tools, soldering iron, components etc. Figure that sort of thing can be picked up again for not a lot of money.

Better see if there's a frys in NYC - sounds awesome.