Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gcse's & Us Schools

Gcse's & Us Schools

Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Caligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really niceCaligirl4ever is just really nice
Default Gcse's & Us Schools

Hello there,

My step-daughter will be taking her GCSE's this July in England and then plans on joining her father and myself in California by August 2004.

With passing GCSE grades would she have to enter the 10th and/or 11th grade of High School to continue receiving a high school diploma or could she be enrolled into a Junior College.

Has anyone gone through this situation, if so how did you deal with it.

Thank you so much.

Warmly,
Terese
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:32 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gcse's & Us Schools

Hi

I'm looking into this for my son when he comes here in a few months time. The local community college I contacted said they would need his GCSE's verified and the company they use is the World Education Service. When he arrives here we'll be sending copies of his GCSE certificates to them and they will provide verification that they are equivalent to a high school diploma. They also write to the school attended in UK to verify attendance etc. They then send a copy of the report to the US college and a copy for us. World Educucation Service has a website and it does cost money to do it. We haven't actually done it yet so good luck and if you do it before us please let us know and vice versa! From talking to them on the phone they gave the impression that GCSE's are the equivalent to a high school diploma but until they look at the grades etc they wont say anymore for free!! Most universities/colleges have their own staff who deal with this and some uni's/colleges may use differrent verification services. Perhaps you should contact a few prospective colleges and have a chat to them. I found them very helpful.

Maggie

Originally posted by Caligirl4ever
Hello there,

My step-daughter will be taking her GCSE's this July in England and then plans on joining her father and myself in California by August 2004.

With passing GCSE grades would she have to enter the 10th and/or 11th grade of High School to continue receiving a high school diploma or could she be enrolled into a Junior College.

Thank you so much.

Warmly,
Terese
Old Feb 14th 2004, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

When my family emigrated many moons ago to Florida, my mum immediately went to register me as a senior at the local high school. We left when I was half way thru my A levels. We were told at the time that 4 o levels were the equivalent of the American high school diploma and that I should just register at the local university as a freshman. Not sure if it holds true today, but at that time we were told that -- 10 years ago, the 4 o levels were equivalent to a hight school diploma and 3 A levels or an OND would basically equate to an associates degree. Be sure to schedule an appointment with the local state university and not a private or community college. They are much more helpful than the latter two and not out for you to take so many classes (ie after your tuition money)! Good luck!
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:28 pm
Banned

JulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to allJulianB is a name known to all

I remember goin for a job interview a couple of years ago. Interviewer was reading thru my resume, asks me "what's a zero level?".
For f***s sake.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JulianB
I remember goin for a job interview a couple of years ago. Interviewer was reading thru my resume, asks me "what's a zero level?".
For f***s sake.
Sorry, but you can't seriously expect US employers to have a great deal of knowledge about the UK education system.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Thank you so much.

Warmly,
Terese
I would imagine that after taking gcse's, entering 10th grade in a US high school would be pretty boring and unfulfilling (educationally, I mean)
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

US universities will not admit a candidate to a four-year degree program with just GCSEs. Each university will have its own list of acceptable foreign qualifications, but I have yet to see one without an A-level or IB requirement for UK candidates.

I did my GCSEs and A-levels in the UK, then my degree in North America. I actually chose a Canadian university, because it seemed to offer the best package at the time, having been accepted by a few around the US and Canada.

I would recommend getting a US high school diploma and then going to a full university rather than deviating into a community college or something else. I think this will serve your son/daughter better in the long run.

oh, just on a personal note: I found my North American education stimulating and challenging. My colleagues (US & Canadian) were every bit as academically prepared as I was - some more so. So, whilst I have never stepped foot in a US high school, I've worked with people those schools have produced, and I've been impressed.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by dunroving
I would imagine that after taking gcse's, entering 10th grade in a US high school would be pretty boring and unfulfilling (educationally, I mean)
Why?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Geordiegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter was 17 when we arrived in the states and had to complete a senior year in high school before she could go to university and get her driving permit.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:07 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by CalgaryAMC
Why?
Because I think a 10th grade level US education is a step back from GCSE's.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 5:41 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,

Thank you so much.

Warmly,
Terese
My daughter arrived in USA while doing her final year of A’levels.She was addmited to community college with 12 credit. We used WEC for education evaluation and it cost $300.00. Her GCSE was evaluated as High School diploma and her 3 AS’ levels was evaluated as 12 credit.
Old Feb 15th 2004, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by abb
My daughter arrived in USA while doing her final year of A’levels.She was addmited to community college with 12 credit. We used WEC for education evaluation and it cost $300.00. Her GCSE was evaluated as High School diploma and her 3 AS’ levels was evaluated as 12 credit.
Out of interest, I'm wondering why she/you chose a community college? Did she then transfer to a university and were some of her community college courses transferable?
Old Feb 15th 2004, 9:01 pm
abb
Forum Regular

abb is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest, I'm wondering why she/you chose a community college? Did she then transfer to a university and were some of her community college courses transferable?
3 reason, the first was the Community College my daughter attending is one of the best in the State of Florida, the second reason the Community College classes are much smaller than university classes and for a young person coming from comprehensive school in Wales to go to a university class with 150-200 student is not fun, therefore we decided with the help of educational advisor that Community College was best for her and after 2 years she will go to university to complete her degree.
The last reason was the cost.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 12:57 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

US universities will not admit a candidate to a four-year degree program with just GCSEs. Each university will have its own list of acceptable foreign qualifications, but I have yet to see one without an A-level or IB requirement for UK candidates.

I did my GCSEs and A-levels in the UK, then my degree in North America. I actually chose a Canadian university, because it seemed to offer the best package at the time, having been accepted by a few around the US and Canada.

I would recommend getting a US high school diploma and then going to a full university rather than deviating into a community college or something else. I think this will serve your son/daughter better in the long run.

oh, just on a personal note: I found my North American education stimulating and challenging. My colleagues (US & Canadian) were every bit as academically prepared as I was - some more so. So, whilst I have never stepped foot in a US high school, I've worked with people those schools have produced, and I've been impressed.
Johns Hopkins regularly accepts WI students with GCE O Levels onto 4 year degree programs.

Canadian Universities admission requirements and US Universities for the most part in my experience are not the same.

Many US high school grads may be asked to do a "make up" year to meet Canadian admission requirements.
Old Feb 16th 2004, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by lairdside
Johns Hopkins regularly accepts WI students with GCE O Levels onto 4 year degree programs.
Do they have some other experience? They must have if they have O levels and not GCSEs. Are they applying as mature students?

I just don't believe that John Hopkins is regularly accepting 15 and 16-year olds who have just finished their GCSEs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.