GC Lotto

Old Jan 30th 2004, 9:14 am
Just Joined

OwenF is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy GC Lotto

Does anyone know why UK citizens are excempted from entering the annual Green Card lottery?

I would love more than anything to emmigrate to the US but I don't qualify for entry by the usual channels (investment, talent or marraige).

Given the relationship between our two countries it just seems a little bit unfair to me. Am I right or wrong.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

The GC lotto is all about diversity. It is also used as a sort of hand out to third world countries with needy populations. Poverty stricken and war torn nations are included because their populations must endure such hardships that immigration is likely the only way out. The UK is neither diverse enough (from the US), nor poverty stricken enough to qualify. The only exception is Northern Ireland.

Last edited by Jabba1; Jan 30th 2004 at 10:06 am.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

BlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBlueScottyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it also something to do with the high immigration from the UK?...as so many brits already emigrate there they don't allow us to enter, giving people from other countries a chance?

I agree though, "shoulder to shoulder" and all that but it's harder for a Brit to emigrate there than anyone else (and I understand it's as hard doing it the other way round too).

And to think we almost became an American state all those years ago..........
Old Jan 30th 2004, 12:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jabba1
The GC lotto is all about diversity. It is also used as a sort of hand out to third world countries with needy populations. Poverty stricken and war torn nations are included because their populations must endure such hardships that immigration is likely the only way out. The UK is neither diverse enough (from the US), nor poverty stricken enough to qualify. The only exception is Northern Ireland.
Are you saying that NI is poverty-stricken? Or that it's the exception to all of these rules? I always thought that NI was included mostly to do with the NI lobby among Politicians like Edward Kennedy. Maybe that's an urban myth.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

If Northern Ireland is eligable for the lottery and Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom then why aren't other UK nations allowed. Maybe there should be one year when the lottery is opened to the UK. Me first.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:46 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OwenF
Maybe there should be one year when the lottery is opened to the UK. Me first.

They don't need to open the UK to the Diverse lottery. Over 50,000 UK citizens have entered the USA permanently within the last 3 years via other means which effectivley shuts the door on the Lottery.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
Are you saying that NI is poverty-stricken? Or that it's the exception to all of these rules? I always thought that NI was included mostly to do with the NI lobby among Politicians like Edward Kennedy. Maybe that's an urban myth.
No myth...started back in JFK days ...to help the Kennedy clan
Old Jan 30th 2004, 2:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC Lotto

Does anyone know why UK citizens are excempted from entering the annual Green Card lottery?

I would love more than anything to emmigrate to the US but I don't qualify for entry by the usual channels (investment, talent or marraige).

Given the relationship between our two countries it just seems a little bit unfair to me. Am I right or wrong.
I believe the explanation about which foreign citizens are eligible for the diversity lottery can be found on the US government website about the diversity lottery itself.

As to your comment about the relationship between the UK and the US, it's precisely because there is an existing close relationship with so many Brits emigrating to the US (mostly on employment and marriage related visas) that we (with the exception of N. Ireland) are illegible.

You may not realise but Mexican nationals (perhaps also Chinese?) may already be off the eligible list for the diversity lottery because many thousands of Mexicans have emigrated to the US in the last few years. The countries whose citizens are eligible is revised annually.

Also, once you move to the US, the day-to-day level of diversity at grassroots level, in my opinion, is debatable.

Last edited by NC Penguin; Jan 30th 2004 at 2:44 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving
I don't doubt for a minute that some strings were pulled to get NI into the lotto. Who knows, maybe some more strings will be pulled on behalf of the entire UK. Then again, maybe not- don't ya just love politics.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by BlueScottyGirl
And to think we almost became an American state all those years ago..........

I suppose if the UK were an American state, it would automatically solve all immigration problems for UK citizens. There would no longer be a need for any UK citizen to move to the US because they would already be in the US. heh.
Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

jemetpl is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose if the UK were an American state, it would automatically solve all immigration problems for UK citizens. There would no longer be a need for any UK citizen to move to the US because they would already be in the US. heh.
Sounds good to me. It has to be better than being part of the European (Soviet) Union.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:00 am
Just Joined

I second that.

You know how a transvestite often complains that they are 'a woman born in a man's body'? They get understanding, therapy, advice, councelling, surgery and everything else to help them achieve their ambition.

I often feel like an American born in the wrong country and I get nothing. It sucks.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

I second that.

You know how a transvestite often complains that they are 'a woman born in a man's body'? They get understanding, therapy, advice, councelling, surgery and everything else to help them achieve their ambition.

I often feel like an American born in the wrong country and I get nothing. It sucks.
Er.....sorry, but while they may have come out with a sex change operation, they have yet to come out with any type of surgery that turns Brits into Americans.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 12:57 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you could be from Chad or Libya or somewhere equally as nasty. be grateful you were born in a country with running water and inside shitters.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 1:11 pm
@matthewb76

they have yet to come out with any type of surgery that turns Brits into Americans.
It's called an N400 isn't it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.