Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GBP/USD trends

Wikiposts

GBP/USD trends

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default GBP/USD trends

I'm seeing that the exchange rate is trending up slightly 1.62 right now. If the shutdown continues and particularly if the debt ceiling doesn't get raised where do people think this will head. Do you think we'll get close to 2?

In a slightly related matter, trying to get a quote on XE and I get told that "Your quote cannot exceed your approved limit of 0.00 USD." but I have a 10k limit.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP/USD trends

All bets are off with the Clown Party in town.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Well a quick email to XE has cleared the error message.

Meanwhile I've just signed up with Worldfirst, I recall someone saying they were giving better rates compared to XE.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:51 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I think the current rate is reasonably good considering it was down to around $1.52 not that long ago. I've booked two contracts with World First for end of November and early March 2014 at $1.6055, and am happy with that. Who knows where it will go, just as likely down again as up. If you see a rate you're happy with take it.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bum, Worldfirst are not licensed in Arizona, can't open an account with them.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 6:39 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

When I purchased our holiday home in Florida back in 2007 I got $2 - £1.
When you transfer large sums it reall makes a huge difference, that's why I am keeping an eye on it at present. I think the 1.62 is a decent rate tbh
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 9:23 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

This morning, XE quoted me 1.6403, but at the beginning of August I was exchanging around the 1.55 mark. That's about £70 difference on a 2000 USD to GBP exchange. That's a tank of petrol! I'm hoping the effwits hurry up and sort out their squabble while others are hoping the dollar continues to slide.

I hadn't heard of World First before this thread so have signed up with them and will see how they compare to XE.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
..... I think the 1.62 is a decent rate tbh
I do too, and it is close to the average for the past thirty years. There have been relatively short periods when it has been above $1.80, even over $2.00, and other times. In the $1.30 range and dropping briefly close to parity, but has always come back to around the $1.60 mark.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I do too, and it is close to the average for the past thirty years. There have been relatively short periods when it has been above $1.80, even over $2.00, and other times. In the $1.30 range and dropping briefly close to parity, but has always come back to around the $1.60 mark.
I think that's a good point, the times when it has been at parity or $2 are really the outliers. I was lucky that I sold my house at the end of 2006 I think I got about $1.95.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Portsmouth-Portsmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

the Big Mac index on the Economist seems to indicate it should be close to $1.69- and it is a fairly good barometer.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 6:12 pm
Fort Collins, Colorado

yukichon will become famous soon enoughyukichon will become famous soon enough

What on earth is the Big Mac index lol?

I would love to see it climb to 1.7 but tbh I don't know what the major triggers are...
Old Oct 7th 2013, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
What on earth is the Big Mac index lol?

I would love to see it climb to 1.7 but tbh I don't know what the major triggers are...
Google is your friend, my friend ...

http://www.economist.com/content/big-mac-index

Invented by the economist and loosely refers to the relative cost of a 'Big Mac' in various economies, assuming the 'big mac' is a commodity that transcends borders ... more generally related to the notion of PPP - purchasing price parity.