Reload this Page >

GBP to GBP transfer, subsequent conversion to USD tax implications

GBP to GBP transfer, subsequent conversion to USD tax implications

Old Feb 26th 2023, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

justadude is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: GBP to GBP transfer, subsequent conversion to USD tax implications

Originally Posted by morpeth
Actually I read that before I responded to you.

I think you are confused on what is 'forex' income. It is not simply conversion gains or losses- and that brokerage firm probably won't issue you a 1099 for conversion loss- and if they do, definitely speak to a good accountant or tax lawyer before you attempt to claim a deduction for such a loss, which you should do anyway if you are planning to take such a deduction.

As I understand it you put money into a brokerage account, and when you took it out it was worth less upon conversion back to the original currency. That is not a loss from a trading or business transaction. nor even a 'spot' transaction for that matter. What you quote above indicates this is what they are referring to "The Forex Income Worksheet includes income and loss data from closed forex spot trades and closed securities trades denominated in a nonfunctional currency."

If I put money into an account and convert it to a currency, then later convert it back to the original currency, the transaction is not a spot trade.

However I am always open to the possibility I may be wrong, so do let us know if any reputable accountant or tax lawyer indicates you can take a deduction for this.
IBKR would most likely not generate a FX Income Worksheet at the end of the year if what you say is true. As they have stated, a deposit in non-functional currency is considered a fx transaction. I have contacted Director of International Taxation at my place of employment and will hear from her in next few days. I will keep everyone posted.
Old Feb 26th 2023, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The flaw in your analysis is that the transfer in your circumstances is not an event that has any meaning for the calculation of your FX loss or gain, or for any other tax purpose. You already had the GBP, somewhere else, you didn't acquire them, you just transferred them. Now, if you were a US citizen/ long term resident, who had sold USD to buy the GBP credited to your account then the calculation you explained would make sense.

There are several ways that you could have acquired the GBP that could lead to a base transaction for a later FX loss or gain. A mortgage taken out in the UK is the one we see most commonly here on BE.

BTW This isn't a subjective opinion.
Myself being a US resident and the IBKR account belonging to a US resident, makes GBP a non-functional currency in that account. The functional currency of the account is USD. Hence, as soon as I deposited GBP, it is as good as me buying GBP using my USD in the IBKR account. GBP in that account is not money but an instrument of money. Now, there arises an opportunity of real speculation due to GBP being a non-functional currency. And that is exactly what happened. I speculated incorrectly and I generated a loss. If I had generated a gain, I will have to pay taxes on those gains whenever the non-functional currency is converted to USD. In fact, you can think of GBP as being an international stock holding which I transferred from a brokerage in UK to brokerage in US. I would have to pay/deduct capital gains whenever I close that position. Myself buying that stock using GBP years ago is irrelevant as soon as I transferred the stock to US based brokerage.
Old Feb 26th 2023, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justadude
Myself being a US resident and the IBKR account belonging to a US resident, makes GBP a non-functional currency in that account. The functional currency of the account is USD. Hence, as soon as I deposited GBP, it is as good as me buying GBP using my USD in the IBKR account. GBP in that account is not money but an instrument of money. Now, there arises an opportunity of real speculation due to GBP being a non-functional currency. And that is exactly what happened. I speculated incorrectly and I generated a loss. If I had generated a gain, I will have to pay taxes on those gains whenever the non-functional currency is converted to USD. In fact, you can think of GBP as being an international stock holding which I transferred from a brokerage in UK to brokerage in US. I would have to pay/deduct capital gains whenever I close that position. Myself buying that stock using GBP years ago is irrelevant as soon as I transferred the stock to US based brokerage.
You wrote "In fact, you can think of GBP as being an international stock holding which I transferred from a brokerage in UK to brokerage in US" - actually it is not the case, which seems to be what you are missing.The issue of functional vs non functional currency is related to trading not just holding a currency outside of an exchange transaction,

Old Feb 26th 2023, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

IBKR would most likely not generate a FX Income Worksheet at the end of the year if what you say is true. As they have stated, a deposit in non-functional currency is considered a fx transaction. I have contacted Director of International Taxation at my place of employment and will hear from her in next few days. I will keep everyone posted.
I think you are still missing the point, just holding a different currency is not a trading transaction,

Hopefully the Director of International Taxation is savvy enough to respond on the issue, if he is smart he will direct you to your own CPA or tax lawyer. Let us know what he says.
Old Feb 26th 2023, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Actually looking at the sample on their website, it doesn't appear definite for a simply holding of a currency would be included, and in any case it is the 1099 which is more important. And 1099s are not always reflective of the correct tax reporting.

In any case from your posts it seems you believe your interpretation correct, best to get some definitive advice from a very competent tax lawyer or CPA. And if the amount significant and you deduct, there may be a possibility of a tax audit.The IRS can be reasonable- but usually doesn't lose a case in tax court. Then if your are in a state like California or New York,additional potential issues,

Last edited by morpeth; Feb 27th 2023 at 12:01 am.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Actually looking at the sample on their website, it doesn't appear definite for a simply holding of a currency would be included, and in any case it is the 1099 which is more important. And 1099s are not always reflective of the correct tax reporting.

In any case from your posts it seems you believe your interpretation correct, best to get some definitive advice from a very competent tax lawyer or CPA. And if the amount significant and you deduct, there may be a possibility of a tax audit.The IRS can be reasonable- but usually doesn't lose a case in tax court. Then if your are in a state like California or New York,additional potential issues,
I agree that a professional input will be much more productive and I will definitely pursue that avenue after exhausting my research. In a case about community property few years ago, I filed my taxes with my interpretation and a letter which was accepted by the IRS. Sate of California sent me a letter telling me that my capital gains amounts were not correct. I protested and they did accept my explanation and dropped that case. The sum was paltry compared to what I'm dealing with so I'm very confident of my ability to research a subject matter and then accept whatever the outcome may be. I'm due a refund due to other circumstances and hence an audit will not cost me anything other than dealing with IRS.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

I was not holding a currency. My non-functional currency balance was 0 and that changed with a deposit which created a forex transaction according to IBKR.

A brokerage which caters to hedge funds knows what it is doing by generating a FX income worksheet.

A 1099 are not generated for clients who has not opted out of section 988 tax treatment of FX transactions. This means FX gains/losses are not capital gains and can will be applied against/with ordinary income.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 3:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was not holding a currency. My non-functional currency balance was 0 and that changed with a deposit which created a forex transaction according to IBKR. A brokerage which caters to hedge funds knows what it is doing by generating a FX income worksheet. A 1099 are not generated for clients who has not opted out of section 988 tax treatment of FX transactions. This means FX gains/losses are not capital gains and can will be applied against/with ordinary income.
You seem to think you know more than anyone here, despite the knowledge, qualifications, and experience of the people replying to you. Not only am I puzzled as to why you are continuing arguing, given your supreme confidence in your interpretation, I am struggling to understand why you even posted here in the first place.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 5:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I think this explains the various nuances quite well

https://www.johnschachter.com/intern...able-write-off

It would seem from the OPs postings that the "vacation" exception applies. This being the sentence that stood out. You held your pounds for personal purposes, so your loss is not deductible.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 27th 2023 at 5:07 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was not holding a currency. My non-functional currency balance was 0 and that changed with a deposit which created a forex transaction according to IBKR.

A brokerage which caters to hedge funds knows what it is doing by generating a FX income worksheet.

A 1099 are not generated for clients who has not opted out of section 988 tax treatment of FX transactions. This means FX gains/losses are not capital gains and can will be applied against/with ordinary income.
Well let us know what you come up with to support your analysis, but I wouldn't go by what IBKR says or reports but instead a tax professional.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I agree that a professional input will be much more productive and I will definitely pursue that avenue after exhausting my research. In a case about community property few years ago, I filed my taxes with my interpretation and a letter which was accepted by the IRS. Sate of California sent me a letter telling me that my capital gains amounts were not correct. I protested and they did accept my explanation and dropped that case. The sum was paltry compared to what I'm dealing with so I'm very confident of my ability to research a subject matter and then accept whatever the outcome may be. I'm due a refund due to other circumstances and hence an audit will not cost me anything other than dealing with IRS.
The IRS can accept a return with an explanation , but that doesn't necessarily by itself the treatment was correct- it can equally be simply it wasn't reviewed in detail.I know of a situation where seven people filed returns based incorrect 1099's from the same source- two just disregarded the 1099, then got letters from the "matching program" the IRS does, two filed their taxes with different explanations and never heard back, the last one did the same and ended up in tax court. The IRS is a large agency, and certainly works on profiling by amounts involved and using various other analysis including which areas they have more potential of securing revenue. And the higher up you go, the more competent the tax official get.

The IRS can be very reasonable on most matters, but an audit is not an easy process- and generally not only drawn out and bothersome, but can end up needing a tax attorney- on particular if the sums are large. Most people end up settling.The State of California is well known for having one of the most aggressive and unreasonable tax agencies - a dispute or audit from them should be avoided at all cost, especially if you have any assets in California.

However, good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Old Feb 27th 2023, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I think this explains the various nuances quite well

https://www.johnschachter.com/intern...able-write-off

It would seem from the OPs postings that the "vacation" exception applies. This being the sentence that stood out. You held your pounds for personal purposes, so your loss is not deductible.
Actually that website explains everything very clearly. The vacation exception is indeed true when the GBP was held in UK bank because it was being used for personal expenses. As soon as it was transferred to IBKR, it became a non-functional currency because it has no value in US. Like the website states, "The currency of other countries – and non-state currency like Bitcoin – is considered “property.” That is the reason IBKR mentions deposits as a forex transaction.

Furthermore, it states "Regardless of where you live, keeping savings in a currency other than the US dollar can expose you to taxable gains or losses when the currency is converted to US dollars."

I thank you sir for the website.

Old Feb 27th 2023, 11:35 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

If the deposit/transfer was the same currency that is not a “trade” if you move 100 shares from broker A to broker B that is not a trade. The exact same asset has just moved, there has not been any change of ownership, only who the custodian is..

You can ignore the transfer, you had x GBP and still have x GBP…

http://publications.ruchelaw.com/news/2014-05/Vol.1No.04-03_Tax%20101-FX.pdf

RELIEF FOR PERSONAL TRANSACTIONS

”As noted above, a personal transaction is any transaction other than a transaction which is a trade or business expense or a §212 expense (i.e., an expense in a for profit activity).”

Last edited by tht; Feb 27th 2023 at 11:50 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tht
If the deposit/transfer was the same currency that is not a “trade” if you move 100 shares from broker A to broker B that is not a trade. The exact same asset has just moved, there has not been any change of ownership, only who the custodian is..

You can ignore the transfer, you had x GBP and still have x GBP…

http://publications.ruchelaw.com/new...x%20101-FX.pdf

RELIEF FOR PERSONAL TRANSACTIONS

”As noted above, a personal transaction is any transaction other than a transaction which is a trade or business expense or a §212 expense (i.e., an expense in a for profit activity).”
Thank you for the pdf file. I will read through it but meanwhile the following has perked my interest:
Example 2
On January 1, 2014, Mr. FX Guy acquires 10,000 Canadian dollars. On January 15, 2014, Mr. FX Guy converts the 10,000 Canadian dollars to U.S. dollars. The acquisition of the 10,000 Canadian dollars is a Section 988 transaction for purposes of establishing Mr. FX Guy’s basis in such Canadian dollars. The conversion of the 10,000 Canadian dollars to U.S. dollars is a Section 988 transaction.
Old Feb 28th 2023, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

Holding GBP for too long and getting a worse rate upon conversion, not sure what kind of break you are looking for. Lesson learned it seems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.