Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

GBP denominated accounts in USA?

GBP denominated accounts in USA?

Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Scotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond repute
Default GBP denominated accounts in USA?

Anyone know of any GBP-denominated accounts that are located in the US (and therefore don’t have FBAR reporting requirements) but can still be used like a standard bank account in the UK with chequebook, faster payment transfers etc?

Trying to avoid lots of FBAR liabilities for a shared asset with my kids....
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:03 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GBP denominated accounts in USA?

Originally Posted by Scotsman In Texas
Anyone know of any GBP-denominated accounts that are located in the US (and therefore don’t have FBAR reporting requirements) but can still be used like a standard bank account in the UK with chequebook, faster payment transfers etc?

Liabilities?

It’s just a form, once a year. Just reporting, no inherent liabilities.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

What liabilities? Just fill in the form once a year.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

And to add the form took me all of about 10 minutes to fill in. It's entirely electronic.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
And to add the form took me all of about 10 minutes to fill in. It's entirely electronic.
And if you save the file for next time all the fixed data remains and you just have to change the amounts. That brings it down to 5 minutes (until they change the form).
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Scotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond reputeScotsman In Texas has a reputation beyond repute

When I say liabilities I mean there are huge potential penalties for failure to report a foreign bank account on both FBAR and potentially 8938 as I am sure you all know. Yet another potential for an expensive mistake is a liability in my view. I have a lot of foreign accounts to report and don't want to deal with yet another one.

Also as this is an account for a US partnership that my kids are limited partners of and I don't want to have to deal with 3 more FBAR's for them. I am overwhelmed with forms as it is.

Anyway, the purpose of the post was not to discuss whether or not the FBAR/8938 was a hassle/liability (which I firmly believe it is) but if there were any GBP accounts that avoided this.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I say liabilities I mean there are huge potential penalties for failure to report a foreign bank account on both FBAR and potentially 8938 as I am sure you all know. Yet another potential for an expensive mistake is a liability in my view. I have a lot of foreign accounts to report and don't want to deal with yet another one.

Also as this is an account for a US partnership that my kids are limited partners of and I don't want to have to deal with 3 more FBAR's for them. I am overwhelmed with forms as it is.

Anyway, the purpose of the post was not to discuss whether or not the FBAR/8938 was a hassle/liability (which I firmly believe it is) but if there were any GBP accounts that avoided this.
If you have any joint accounts anywhere you must declare them. I think what you are asking is how to avoid US laws...which is against our Site Rules.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Several financial institutions have foreign currency accounts, some have them onshore in the US as well. Citizens Commercial has such a product and advertised as avoiding the need to Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts, since the account is domiciled in the U.S.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Mercury39 that's exactly what I need. Very helpful.

If you have any joint accounts anywhere you must declare them. I think what you are asking is how to avoid US laws...which is against our Site Rules.
Absolutely not trying to avoid of US laws! Any account domiciled in the US has no FBAR requirement. I want an account domiciled in the US (or is in the IRS net in some way) but in GBP that fulfils my UK banking needs. Not sure how much clearer I can be here.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you Mercury39 that's exactly what I need. Very helpful.

Absolutely not trying to avoid of US laws! Any account domiciled in the US has no FBAR requirement. I want an account domiciled in the US (or is in the IRS net in some way) but in GBP that fulfils my UK banking needs. Not sure how much clearer I can be here.
My apologies.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 4:07 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC?
I could certainly do this in France with Euros/dollars and sterling.
My company could be paid in the different currencies and I also had to pay for things in the different currencies, so to avoid having currency exchange all the time, I had 3 different accounts denominated in the 3 currencies. Come tax time, everything was "converted" into euros but only in the accounting. Is this what you mean?

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Oct 10th 2017 at 4:10 am.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Citibank has several currency options.

https://www.citibank.com/ipb/europe/...ticurrency.htm

However, you may not be able to use fast pay etc. When I had a UK based USD account, I could not do ACH transfers and I had to send USD checks to the UK to be deposited.

This article suggests a few others http://www.bankrate.com/banking/savi...rency-account/

There is often a fee associated with having one of these types of accounts.

Last edited by mrken30; Oct 10th 2017 at 5:29 am.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said HSBC and Citibank are the big ones and often with big fees.
Just Google foreign currency accounts in the USA and you will find several others.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:54 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
As others have said HSBC and Citibank are the big ones and often with big fees.
Just Google foreign currency accounts in the USA and you will find several others.
But that would not satisfy this requirement
"used like a standard bank account in the UK with chequebook, faster payment transfers etc?"

Also, since this appears to be part of his business banking requirements any fees would be tax deductible.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 1:16 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't a partnership with a foreign owner have additional paperwork filings?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.