British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Gay Marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gay-marriage-210110/)

dunroving Feb 28th 2004 12:04 am

Originally posted by supernav
Life is unfair.

deal with it.

-= nav =-
Same to you.

Covenant Feb 28th 2004 12:46 am

I have to admit that reading through these threads, there are shadows of my thoughts on both sides.

Although I am hetrosexual, I see beauty in both men and women. the thought of a relationship with a man is un-appealing, and in this respect I understand the way a lesbian would feel about a relationship with a man.

I am uneasy with the frequency that lesbian scenes are shown on TV on shows such as Ellen, and Friends, yet paradoxically I I enjoy the camp antics of shows such as Will and Grace.

In trying to understand why I am uneasy with lesbian scenes the only thought process is that in some way i feel that women no longer need men, and we are superfluous, and as a man, I feel threatened.

Women are a mystery, another species, not better not worse but God, can we live without them? The beauty of Audrey Hepburn, etc, yes I can understand why lesbians prefer women. Is that why I am resentful, because of the competition? In essence are men lesbians and vice versa?

Again we have been brought up under the influence of church and society, therefore same sex relationships are somehow wrong and un-natural. But Nature has plenty of examples of animals involved in gay type sexual activity.

I empathise with some posters who despair that what is so natural for them is considered wrong in many eyes, and they are denied many rights of hetrosexual couples.

Maybe we need to cast off our preconceptions, and our hostilities at the unfairness of not being treated as a human with different attractions to societies norms, and start behaving like rational adults who can look at the issue and apply a fairness to the unhappiness. Sexual issues brought up in the public eye are probably the same to most people as in not to be discussed at the dinner table darling! maybe that's why there is uneasiness at the way this topic is openly discussed, and in the militant methods that have been used by the Gay movement to publicise their fight.

The arguments relating to other taboos, such as animal & child sex etc are clearly wrong as this is obviously pure and simple exploitation of innocence.

But the question is, where do we draw the line?
for example, would incest be acceptable?

Difficult.

Manc Feb 28th 2004 12:49 am

But that's a whole different animal.

TV is not real life.

If I can marry anyone I want, but someone else cannot. Then there is no liberty and justice for all in this society.

Covenant Feb 28th 2004 12:53 am

What times it there Manc?

Manc Feb 28th 2004 12:54 am

8:53pm

At work at a radio station right now.

Covenant Feb 28th 2004 12:56 am

I must be mad, its 2.00am here. gnite!

Manc Feb 28th 2004 12:58 am

au reviour

Covenant Feb 28th 2004 5:11 am

Originally posted by manc1976
But that's a whole different animal.

TV is not real life.

I agree, but the bones of the issue are there staring at us.

If I can marry anyone I want, but someone else cannot. Then there is no liberty and justice for all in this society.

But isn't this the main gist of the whole thread? Gay couples want a legal recognition of their Love. The ceremony or marriage is probably a sham because of all the prejudice that comes with it. I'm sure that an exchange of vows etc is all that they wish for.

Whilst simple areas such as who gets what etc most of this can be covered by Contracts of marriage and wills. But the issue of having the same perks for want of a better word as other mixed sex relationships bases on the legality of Marriage which is denied to them from the Government and employers is where there is no parity, and I would say that most people, both for and against gay relationships would see the sense in this after all fair is fair.

Covenant Feb 28th 2004 5:13 am

Originally posted by Sukhi
But isn't this the main gist of the whole thread? Gay couples want a legal recognition of their Love. The ceremony or marriage is probably a sham because of all the prejudice that comes with it. I'm sure that an exchange of vows etc is all that they wish for.

Whilst simple areas such as who gets what etc most of this can be covered by Contracts of marriage and wills. But the issue of having the same perks for want of a better word as other mixed sex relationships bases on the legality of Marriage which is denied to them from the Government and employers is where there is no parity, and I would say that most people, both for and against gay relationships would see the sense in ALLOWING THEM THIS RIGHT after all fair is fair.

Sorry missed that part!

Hermotimus Feb 28th 2004 8:34 pm

Re: effi

Originally posted by DBH
Just using effi's words. Maybe I should have just quoted her so that it didn't get taken the wrong way. My mistake. :D

But then... how do you know that you wouldn't like being hit by a truck. Maybe you shouldn't knock unless you've tried it. That's what my mom used to say about spinach. :D
Yeah - maybe you just never met the right truck. That's what my grandmother used to say about men who liked men.

:rolleyes: