Reload this Page >

Gay book controversy in my town

Wikiposts

Gay book controversy in my town

Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
good luck, others have tried and fallen from the wayside.
No, I've got better things to do than talk about sex with a load of holllier-than-thou, bible bashing, anally retentive, God bothering, Jesus worshippers! he he!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jaybob
Maybe a big strapping handsome bloke!

I can't remember who the quote came from, but when asked if he was gay, the reply was...
"I don't think so, but I haven't yet met a man I fancy"

It was certainly one of the quotations that Oscar Wilde didn't make, perhaps it was Whistler ?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 7:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
And homosexuality isn't only present in humans either. Reminds me of the articles I read about gay penguins.

See-
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...143549,00.html

or
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...ins/print.html

NC Penguin
OH
MY
GOD!!

The story about Wendell and Cass was the cutest thing I've ever read. I'm in love with gay penguins now.......
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Hermotimus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rockgurl
What is a "gay lobby" out of interest? Am I a lobby or a hall? I always wondered that.

Here in Texas we don't have a homosexual lobby... but we have progressed enough to permit a bisexual foyer.

There was another case like this a few years ago - I think it involved the notorious 'Heather Has Two Mommies' children's book. A fundamentalist pastor checked the book out of the local library, then preached a sermon about it the following Sunday. He would not return the immoral book, he said, and he urged his parishoners to go check out any other copies and refuse to return them, this way they would protect innocent children from wicked temptation. Much of the parish turned up Monday morning, checked out the book and then put in requests for it, in case it was checked out by some poor corrupted child, so they could take it off the shelves when it was returned.

Problem is, the library had an automated system for making sure there was an adequate supply of in-demand books: if there were more than a certain number of requests entered in the computer for a checked-out book, additional copies were automatically ordered. So the church-goers' action resulted in the library initiating the purchase of an additional five copies of the book they wanted to ban.

This happens from time to time when self-appointed guardians of public morality decide they're going to veto actions decided by the responsible officials in the normal course of things. It's stupid, of course, and it's contemptuous of pluralism, but aside from the particular set of moral precepts they're trying to impose, isn't in its essence any different from acts of civil disobedience aimed at shutting up voices on the right by the left.

And while there's always the disparaging comment about backward ol' Texas, the fundamental point was that Texas libraries do put such books on their shelves in the first place, and these acts of intolerant civil disobedience trying for book-banning never succeed, as far as I can tell.

Fiction can heavily influence young minds: the Hardy Boys novels made me want to be a detective; the Mad Scientists Club series made me want to be an inventor; both Robinson Crusoe and Gilligan's Island had me longing to be a castaway on a tropical isle. But a reading program that started with daily lessons of the utterly normal family of 'Fun With Dick and Jane,' and daily after-school hours spent vegetating to Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best and The Brady Bunch failed to imprint me with an orientation that most reasonable people concede is immutable.

(Hmmm.... 'Fun With Dick and....' maybe.... naw, they always had a dog, Spot, and I grew up to be a cat person.)

Hermotimus
(Watching a trial on television of a Texas woman who stoned her three sons, killing tow and injuring the third. She says God told her to do kill the boys, and appears to have gotten the idea that God would command such a thing from a certain very popular book I'm certain can be checked out by children at any public library. This is not the first time even in very recent history a Texas woman a bit to 'in' to this particular book has been so inspired to commit such heinous murders. I wonder if the book should be banned?)
Old Mar 30th 2004, 8:48 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Hermotimus
I wonder if the book should be banned?)
They'll never ban the bible.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:36 am

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by monster
We found this at our library about six months ago. Our sprogs loved it -it's a very funny book. But they are too young (6, 4, and 2) to realise it's not "normal". Hurrah for that I say.

Should it be banned? Only from the parents, I reckon.

You did the every 2 years thing like me!

92, 94, 96

Unless a book is offensive to a child it should not be banned. Most children under the age of 10 haven't been taught/told to be offended yet!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:49 am
"Where are the shovels?"

jambo_2004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats next? Hansel and Gerald?
Fiddler on the Poo....never mind
Old Mar 30th 2004, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by ejay1
You have to understand that this is what happens in the south. People are more conservative in the southeast of the US, talking about gay people and race is taboo here.

So a black and white gay couple would cause apoplexy amongst the bible bashers ?