Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gay book controversy in my town

Wikiposts

Gay book controversy in my town

Old Mar 29th 2004, 2:48 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by manc1976
So what would it take for you to become gay then?
Perhaps someone to open the closet door?
Old Mar 29th 2004, 3:35 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jaybob
Exactly, I am not of the 'born that way' school of thought. In most cases I think it is a mixture of biology and environment. So to me it does make a difference.
And homosexuality isn't only present in humans either. Reminds me of the articles I read about gay penguins.

See-
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/inter...143549,00.html

or
http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/200...ins/print.html

NC Penguin
Old Mar 29th 2004, 4:31 pm
irb
Forum Regular

irb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by monster
We found this at our library about six months ago. Our sprogs loved it -it's a very funny book. But they are too young (6, 4, and 2) to realise it's not "normal". Hurrah for that I say.

Should it be banned? Only from the parents, I reckon.
Right on, I don't think kids are coming up with relationships and sexual interaction when they read these books; it's all in the wild imagination of the older people who know better! I dread to think what some adults imagination can conjure up over what the Owl and the Pussy Cat got up to in that little pea green boat, they weren't even the same species’ let alone the same race, but then I can't remember any mention of their sex, I guess I was supposed assume they were boy and girl.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 5:27 pm
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by monster
We found this at our library about six months ago. Our sprogs loved it -it's a very funny book. But they are too young (6, 4, and 2) to realise it's not "normal". Hurrah for that I say.

Should it be banned? Only from the parents, I reckon.
A six year old, four year old and a two year old?

You've got your hands full there

I had two 21 months apart. They are still squabbling now at 12 and 14

They love each other though.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 7:45 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

So what would it take for you to become gay then?
Maybe a big strapping handsome bloke!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:28 pm
British Trailer Trash

Originally posted by Rockgurl
What is a "gay lobby" out of interest? Am I a lobby or a hall? I always wondered that. Isn't it more likely that the book is a product of a single progressive author trying to change dinosaur views like yours? So, do you do think that a story involving a princess falling for a prince is an attempt to influence children by the heterosexual lobby? And if so then why aren't I straight, because I read all those books when I was a child. Thank you, but I don't need your kind of morality.
I understand you don't need my kind of morality. I would not try to impose it upon you. Morality is always in the eye of the beholder. Let me state for the record, I think everyone in this world needs all the luck they can get, far too many people are fighting over every principle. So good luck to you whatever lifestyle you embrace. My morals stem from my religion, I am in no way perfect myself, so I am not trying to present myself as any better or worse than anyone else. I also would prefer if my children didn't drink, in principle I disagree with alcohol. Does that mean I dislike people who drink or would reject my children if they did? Of course not most of my close friends drink, it's just my opinion. I understand that you despise most religions because you say most religion despises you. I can't stand the way there is hatred towards homosexual people in the guise of religion There is no need, people can disagree on doctrine and politics without letting that interfere with their personal relationships with people who have different ideas. I heard one church member a short while ago make aggressive comments about homosexuals, I wasn't long in saying I think he has missed the point of the gospel. In regards to the 'gay lobby' I think you are right saying primary school children should not be targeted, as the dinosaurs like myself will get wound up if it appears there is an agenda targeting children, I don't think it is in the best interests of your cause. Who knows maybe I'll come round to the idea of such a book in time, but change won't be assisted by people being aggressive with my views - I'm not saying you are aggressive, I'm simply commenting on the way people become negatively charged with emotion when they don't see eye to eye. RG as long as you don't try to make me drop me draws and take it up the arse and I don't try to hit you over the back of the head and marry you off to some sweaty bloke (I'm being flippent I know the real issues involve love as well as sex)then, I for one see our disagreement on this one thing as simply that, a disagreement on this one thing.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:52 pm
British Trailer Trash

Originally posted by Patrick
You're bringing back the childhood memories of my Dad quite distinctly saying "Bludy 'ell our Agnes, I does 'ope wun of our big strapping sons grows up t'be a ****ing fairy and have big dicks shove up his arse, just like me Grandfaver and his Grandfaver before him". Yes I fondly remember my Lancashire, rugby playing, smoking, drinking, fighting Father nurturing my brother towards a gay lifestyle to fulfill the family tradition. Your right, my brother wasn't born gay, my proud father guided him, instead of taking him to the working mens club, like he did me and my other straight brother, he would take my older brother to gay bars. Michael always got the extra savaloy.

At what point in gay peoples lifes are they nurtured towards homosexuality. How the hell does that work? I spent my entire youth playing football and then joined the army at 16, I spent my entire time during puberty and most of my early adult hood showering with other men. I do not have any gay tendencies what so ever yet I have seen more naked men in my life than naked women (and I have had the internet for 10 years!). I, on the other hand, have a gay brother - he was in every school play growing up, hated any sports and for all intense and purposes was a girl (except the penis bit). It is widely accepted that gay men are born with a fragile Y chromosome and gay women are born with a fragile X.

It must be spring, heres the first cuckoo!

Patrick

FYI, My Dad thinks that my brothers gayness is some kind of illness and that one day they will find a cure and he will be "normal" again. He's almost as ****ing insane as you!
Not sure about your chromosome stuff being widely scientifically accepted. As for being insane, no, I just have a difference of opinion, which I have expressed.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

God Americans are a prudish, backward lot. Who gives a t*ss what people do in the privacy of their own homes?
It's nearly as bad as that commotion about that pop-star showing her tits on US TV. Was it Janet Jackson?
Flaming Nora! What is so offensive about a pair of bazookas?
Read most tabloid newspapers in Britain and there's tits on every page in more than one sense of the word!
This is the 21st century not the 19th!
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:04 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seamonsta
God Americans are a prudish, backward lot. Who gives a t*ss what people do in the privacy of their own homes?
It's nearly as bad as that commotion about that pop-star showing her tits on US TV. Was it Janet Jackson?
Read most tabloid newspapers in Britain and there's tits on every page in more than one sense of the word!
I think you'll fit in quite well here.
Old Mar 29th 2004, 10:36 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jaybob
I understand you don't need my kind of morality. I would not try to impose it upon you. Morality is always in the eye of the beholder. Let me state for the record, I think everyone in this world needs all the luck they can get, far too many people are fighting over every principle. So good luck to you whatever lifestyle you embrace. My morals stem from my religion, I am in no way perfect myself, so I am not trying to present myself as any better or worse than anyone else. I also would prefer if my children didn't drink, in principle I disagree with alcohol. Does that mean I dislike people who drink or would reject my children if they did? Of course not most of my close friends drink, it's just my opinion. I understand that you despise most religions because you say most religion despises you. I can't stand the way there is hatred towards homosexual people in the guise of religion There is no need, people can disagree on doctrine and politics without letting that interfere with their personal relationships with people who have different ideas. I heard one church member a short while ago make aggressive comments about homosexuals, I wasn't long in saying I think he has missed the point of the gospel. In regards to the 'gay lobby' I think you are right saying primary school children should not be targeted, as the dinosaurs like myself will get wound up if it appears there is an agenda targeting children, I don't think it is in the best interests of your cause. Who knows maybe I'll come round to the idea of such a book in time, but change won't be assisted by people being aggressive with my views - I'm not saying you are aggressive, I'm simply commenting on the way people become negatively charged with emotion when they don't see eye to eye. RG as long as you don't try to make me drop me draws and take it up the arse and I don't try to hit you over the back of the head and marry you off to some sweaty bloke (I'm being flippent I know the real issues involve love as well as sex)then, I for one see our disagreement on this one thing as simply that, a disagreement on this one thing.
I appreciate your point of view, and the fact you tried to respectfully explain your comments. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, and so in this case I think it an appropriate lesson in how to differ and yet still coexist. I guess we all just have to learn how to live in the world together and tolerate each others differences. I don't believe in religion but I respect your right to do so.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:42 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a troll from the Canadian forum then?
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:10 am
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by lairdside
A six year old, four year old and a two year old?

You've got your hands full there

I had two 21 months apart. They are still squabbling now at 12 and 14

They love each other though.
Oldest two are 16 months apart. Certainly keep me busy (although some might say not busy enough ). Next year I'll have two mornings a week with no sprogs when the littlest starts preschool. What will I do with myself? Perhaps I'll write a few controversial childrens books
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this a troll from the Canadian forum then?

Just bringing some sanity to the conversation!!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 1:47 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Just bringing some sanity to the conversation!!
good luck, others have tried and fallen from the wayside.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:30 am
British Trailer Trash

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I appreciate your point of view, and the fact you tried to respectfully explain your comments. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, and so in this case I think it an appropriate lesson in how to differ and yet still coexist. I guess we all just have to learn how to live in the world together and tolerate each others differences. I don't believe in religion but I respect your right to do so.
Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.