British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The Gates (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gates-285605/)

elfman Feb 20th 2005 10:13 pm

The Gates

Has anybody else seen "The Gates" in New York?

The Mrs and I had a look yesterday afternoon. Totally bonkers, of course, but we rather liked the whole thing. What the artist is trying to say I have no idea but I do like the originality. Shame it's all up for only a couple of weeks after such a monumental effort. Apparently the city is coining it with all the extra people coming in specifically to see it, despite the cold. Yesterday the park was heaving - I read somewhere that seven times more people visited the park over the weekend than on the average summer day.

I put some photos here:

http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...0&ppuser=13389

sibsie Feb 20th 2005 10:17 pm

Re: The Gates

Maybe it looks different in real life but I think it looks hideous.

Brit'n'TX Feb 20th 2005 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by elfman
What the artist is trying to say

is .... "aren't the trendy set stupid, pretending to know what I'm "saying", jumping on the bandwagon, because it's what those in the "in crowd" do ... when what I'm really saying is "thanks for making me rich, suckers!""

shades of Tony Hancock in "The Artist"

elfman Feb 20th 2005 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by sibsie
Maybe it looks different in real life but I think it looks hideous.

So are we commenting on my photography "skills" here?
:p

Chandler Feb 20th 2005 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
is .... "aren't the trendy set stupid, pretending to know what I'm "saying", jumping on the bandwagon, because it's what those in the "in crowd" do ... when what I'm really saying is "thanks for making me rich, suckers!""

shades of Tony Hancock in "The Artist"

I'm inclined to agree were it not for the fact that the entire installation has been funded by the artist and provided free for the public.

Makes one wonder how much they must have been paid in the past to wrap their various islands and german public buildings. :scared:

elfman Feb 21st 2005 12:07 am

Is that what you think about art in general, or just stuff you personally don't like?

Brit'n'TX Feb 21st 2005 12:46 am

Is that what you think about art in general, or just stuff you personally don't like?

I like many different types of art ... particularly impressionist paintings ...

I just happen to think alot of the "modern art" is just a piss-take ... and the "trendy set" just say they like it because they think they should ... just so much snobbery ...

sheep in formaldehyde and piles of coal or bricks come to mind ..

elfman Feb 21st 2005 12:53 am

I like many different types of art ... particularly impressionist paintings ...

I just happen to think alot of the "modern art" is just a piss-take ... and the "trendy set" just say they like it because they think they should ... just so much snobbery ...

Some people thought impressionist paintings were a piss-take when they first appeared.

sibsie Feb 21st 2005 12:54 am

So are we commenting on my photography "skills" here?
:p

No. Honest. :)

It reminds me of that bit of art in Kingston on Thames (my old stomping ground) a pile of red phone boxes leaning to one side. Total bollocks and cost a fortune.

Brit'n'TX Feb 21st 2005 12:59 am

Some people thought impressionist paintings were a piss-take when they first appeared.

so maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and realise sheep in formaldehyde and rows of metal arches with bright orange curtains hanging on them are really a skilful representation of the world around me ...

or not ...

elfman Feb 21st 2005 1:21 am

so maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and realise sheep in formaldehyde and rows of metal arches with bright orange curtains hanging on them are really a skilful representation of the world around me ...

or not ...

People with fairly narrow views about what constitutes art often seem to get hung up on the sheep in formaldehyde stuff. By "representation of the world around me" do you mean that to you art has to form images that you recognise and are comfortable with?

Brit'n'TX Feb 21st 2005 1:34 am

People with fairly narrow views about what constitutes art often seem to get hung up on the sheep in formaldehyde stuff. By "representation of the world around me" do you mean that to you art has to form images that you recognise and are comfortable with?

look elfman ... I wasn't looking for a fight ... it seems you are ...

what you see as art, someone else sees as crap ... what I see as art, you may see as crap ... we are each entitled to our opinions ...

I like to see skill in anything ... in "the gates" the only skill I see is that of the guys who welded the arches together .. that I can admire ..

elfman Feb 21st 2005 1:48 am

look elfman ... I wasn't looking for a fight ... it seems you are ...

what you see as art, someone else sees as crap ... what I see as art, you may see as crap ... we are each entitled to our opinions ...

I like to see skill in anything ... in "the gates" the only skill I see is that of the guys who welded the arches together .. that I can admire ..

Oh please. Asking you questions about your interpretation of what constitutes "art" is looking for a fight? I thought you had a thicker skin than that. I just wanted to know why you might not consider The Gates to be art.

As for the skill of the welding, fair enough, but to me art is not just about physical skill with the hands - it's also about the vision as well, the ability to think of an original concept and then the drive to see it through to fruition.

rincewind Feb 21st 2005 1:57 am

Art is in the eye of the beholder. Not everyone will appreciate the same piece.

I for one do not like "The Gates". The color is horrible and it looks completely out of place. But to another person, that would be the very reason why it's art.

CaliforniaBride Feb 21st 2005 2:01 am

Stunning! And lovely to see so many people outside anjoying the park in it's new 'skin'. At the very least, what a stimulating piece.