Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gas prices...what are you paying?

Wikiposts

Gas prices...what are you paying?

Old Aug 11th 2005, 5:36 am
ImHere

Default Re: Gas prices...what are you paying?

$2.55 for regular. $2.85 for premium here in sunshine land. Had to fill my truck today and it cost $70.

Once again I see the debate of prices in the UK v US raring its ugly head. I cant be arsed to go though it all again, but suffice to say the cost of motoring (in total) works out about the same per mile in both countries. (smaller gallons, crap mpg, high insurance etc in the US).

Just in the US you have to do more miles.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:00 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Once again I see the debate of prices in the UK v US raring its ugly head. I cant be arsed to go though it all again, but suffice to say the cost of motoring (in total) works out about the same per mile in both countries. (smaller gallons, crap mpg, high insurance etc in the US).

You're spot on there.

I'm in the UK on an extended break, and we're using a Mazda MPV to ferry the horde around, rather than the Honda Pilot and Mazda 3 in the US...been here a month and spent exactly the same on diesel (well, if we're being exact, its about 5 bucks less at current exch rates) as I would have on petrol in the US in the same time. Scared me 's'less when the pump ran up to 56 quid for a tank, but its lasted me all month. We're walking a lot more because we can - weather is more amenable to it, and a lot more of the things we need to get to are within walking distance. And despite an increase in beer consumption, fish and chips and curries, I've actually dropped a few pounds too - bloomin' marvellous!!

Anyway, round us, diesel prices are 93.9p per liter, and unleaded 4 p less ( ). Saw in the paper this morning that some station down south was charging 1.05 per liter for unleaded :scared:
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

2.17 for Regular, yesterday.

As far as costs go. I have a very similar car to the one I had in London.

Cost a lot less to buy.

Less to service.

Annual tax is a bit more.

Personalised number plate was a tiny fraction of the UK price.

Insurance is about 2/3rd of the UK price, but not quite like for like.

I get 30 US vs 30 UK because most of my driving is now at 65 rather than heavy UK traffic.

But I do drive further, probably 25% more. But take a lot less time doing so!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gas prices...what are you paying?

$2.55 for regular. $2.85 for premium here in sunshine land. Had to fill my truck today and it cost $70.

seeing as it is going to raise its head - you make some good points, but overall i would disagree - motoring here is much cheaper (especially at current fx rates) - car cost/servicing/fuel. Once you build no claims ins isn't that much more......

sorry don't want to make you go through it again
Old Aug 11th 2005, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
seeing as it is going to raise its head - you make some good points, but overall i would disagree - motoring here is much cheaper (especially at current fx rates) - car cost/servicing/fuel. Once you build no claims ins isn't that much more......

bloody hell that was my 200th post! i spend too much time here!!!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:00 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

$2.39-2.43G for the cheap stuff....so hmmm....
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D

Well compare the Imperial gallon to the US gallon for starters- and then MPG of the cars...and its not just SUV's, hubbys car doesn't do any more mpg than my SUV. Car insurance is much more here...and most of us are way underinsured..especially in the personal injury dept. Some States have property taxes on cars..and then theres the daily commute and incredible mileage some people do- devaluing the car in lightening speed as well as huge wear and tear. How long do your tires last here?? batteries?? and oil change every 3,000..... and worse, you have to have a car in most places here- not so in UK.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:18 am
Brit'n'TX

what does the difference in cost matter? it's not as if you have the choice to live in one country, but have your car insured in the other or buy your fuel/services in one or the other .... wherever you decide to live, you just accept the cost of living ...

all I can say is that, apart from city snarl-ups (which you'll find in any country), motoring is much more pleasurable here - wide roads which aren't overflowing with traffic ...

Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Taffyles
Well compare the Imperial gallon to the US gallon for starters- and then MPG of the cars...and its not just SUV's, hubbys car doesn't do any more mpg than my SUV. Car insurance is much more here...and most of us are way underinsured..especially in the personal injury dept. Some States have property taxes on cars..and then theres the daily commute and incredible mileage some people do- devaluing the car in lightening speed as well as huge wear and tear. How long do your tires last here?? batteries?? and oil change every 3,000..... and worse, you have to have a car in most places here- not so in UK.
OK - i know all the cars are really uneconomical here - even honda accords seem to be tuned to drink fuel compared to the european equivalents! - but by saying its a smaller gallon means that the MPG figures are also understated over here. That said i can go further in my huge SUV for much less than i could in any car i had back home. As for servicing - a whole other debate - whether you agree with the need to do it or not - but my franchise dealer charges 19 bux for an oil change and 80 for a more major service - HUGELY cheaper than at home. Insurance is more but we found Allstate took our UK no claims and we are close to UK premium.

Depreciation may be bad - but no worse than UK with recent history on used values - and the cars are half price at least to start with! Not had an issue with tyres yet either - but the fact that they insist on rotating in the US doesn't help anyone!!

I agree that gas price alone make the difference seem bigger but I still think its cheaper. The fact that you have to drive more isn't a cost of motoring in itself
Old Aug 11th 2005, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
what does the difference in cost matter? it's not as if you have the choice to live in one country, but have your car insured in the other or buy your fuel/services in one or the other .... wherever you decide to live, you just accept the cost of living ...

all I can say is that, apart from city snarl-ups (which you'll find in any country), motoring is much more pleasurable here - wide roads which aren't overflowing with traffic ...
a very good point sir! interesting comparisons though!
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:02 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX

You ought to have a trip down here...wide roads completely snarled up with ancient new yorkers all driving round in a haze. Took me 35 minutes to go 8 miles this morning and that was pretty good going considering it was 6 lane road all the way.

Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:21 am
Brit'n'TX

You ought to have a trip down here...wide roads completely snarled up with ancient new yorkers all driving round in a haze. Took me 35 minutes to go 8 miles this morning and that was pretty good going considering it was 6 lane road all the way.
serves you right for emigrating from England to Little England

Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:53 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I'm telling y'all, watch The End Of Suburbia. The oil WILL run out.
Old Aug 11th 2005, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'm telling y'all, watch The End Of Suburbia. The oil WILL run out.
no!!!!!! never!!!! stop with ye tales woe, next you'll be talking about electric cars....
Old Aug 11th 2005, 10:13 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Or Los Angeles, the last 2 job interviews have took me south on the 405 freeway;

Interview 1. Overturned cement truck closing the freeway down from 5 lanes to just the carpool lane = 2 3/4 hours to go 52 miles.

Interview 2. Crashed fuel tanker on the ajoining 710 freeway ( spilling 3500 gallons of gas into the LA river) plus 2 other accidents = 1 3/4 hours to travel 45 miles.

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Aug 11th 2005 at 10:33 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.