British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Gas pool heaters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gas-pool-heaters-360574/)

lolly Mar 11th 2006 4:51 pm

Gas pool heaters

Does anyone have a gas pool heater ? if so how much do they cost to run ? Where we were before we had solar - wonderful. But now we have a gas one and haven't dared to use it yet in case it costs a fortune. Spa heats by gas too, how much do they cost to heat ???

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 4:55 pm

Re: Gas pool heaters

Originally Posted by lolly
Does anyone have a gas pool heater ? if so how much do they cost to run ? Where we were before we had solar - wonderful. But now we have a gas one and haven't dared to use it yet in case it costs a fortune. Spa heats by gas too, how much do they cost to heat ???

depends on the pool size - Ray will know - ours just doesn't heat the pool in any acceptable time but our pool is huge (about 35ft long and 10ft + deep at one end) We do use it to heat the hot tub and we notice about a $50 difference on our bill per month if we use it alot (say 4 times a week) but we live in CA :rolleyes:

dbj1000 Mar 11th 2006 5:24 pm

We have a gas heater for our pool/spa, but we rarely use it.

But, if you ask this question again in two weeks (or if I remember to post a follow-up) I'll know more because...

...during spring break the kids wanted to use the spa, so the wife put the heater on and switched the pump over to the spa. After they were done she switched the pump back.

Next day, the kids come running in shouting "mummy, it must be summer already. The sun has made the pool so HOT!!!".

Wife then remembered to switch the heater off. :D

So I'll soon know how much it costs to heat the whole pool to near-spa-temperature for 24 hours!!!

Ray Mar 11th 2006 5:30 pm

Heating the spa by gas ..will not be too bad .. but the pool ..no way ...
using propane it will cost about 4-6 times as much as an
electric heat pump...

Best situation is to take out gas heater ..put in heat pump ..with separate controls so you can heat either the pool or the spa as separate items
see my blog for pic of my installation...

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We have a gas heater for our pool/spa, but we rarely use it.

But, if you ask this question again in two weeks (or if I remember to post a follow-up) I'll know more because...

...during spring break the kids wanted to use the spa, so the wife put the heater on and switched the pump over to the spa. After they were done she switched the pump back.

Next day, the kids come running in shouting "mummy, it must be summer already. The sun has made the pool so HOT!!!".

Wife then remembered to switch the heater off. :D

So I'll soon know how much it costs to heat the whole pool to near-spa-temperature for 24 hours!!!

so not just my family then :D 18 hours heating our hot tub (it was 110 when someone finally noticed) :o

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Heating the spa by gas ..will not be too bad .. but the pool ..no way ...
using propane it will cost about 4-6 times as much as an
electric heat pump...

Best situation is to take out gas heater ..put in heat pump ..with separate controls so you can heat either the pool or the spa as separate items
see my blog for pic of my installation...

go on frighten me with the cost - I really need to replace our heater and filter - the works (PM me if you want)

Ray Mar 11th 2006 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Eskimo
so not just my family then :D 18 hours heating our hot tub (it was 110 when someone finally noticed) :o

just turned my spa on ..its 75f should be 105f in 2 hours ...

Ray Mar 11th 2006 5:35 pm

go on frighten me with the cost - I really need to replace our heater and filter - the works (PM me if you want)

What the gallonage of the pool ..

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
What the gallonage of the pool ..

ermm.... dont know 35ft by 18ft slopping 4ft to 12ft ish in deep end (huge I know - too bloody big)

Ray Mar 11th 2006 5:51 pm

ermm.... dont know 35ft by 18ft slopping 4ft to 12ft ish in deep end (huge I know - too bloody big)

Rectangular Pools - length x width x average depth x 7.5
Round, Oval & Free-form Pools - aver. length x aver. width x aver. depth x 5.9

So presuming rectangular about 38000 gallons .. Shit thats big !!!

working on it ...

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Rectangular Pools - length x width x average depth x 7.5
Round, Oval & Free-form Pools - aver. length x aver. width x aver. depth x 5.9

So presuming rectangular about 38000 gallons .. Shit thats big !!!

working on it ...

OK just found it - its 35000 gallons its sort of rectangular with a hot tub built in

Ray Mar 11th 2006 5:59 pm

Your pool's suface area is: 630 square feet.
Your pool's total gallonage is: 38556
Amount of energy required to raise
your pool 1 Degree Fahreheit: 321557 Btu

Eskimo Mar 11th 2006 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Your pool's suface area is: 630 square feet.
Your pool's total gallonage is: 38556
Amount of energy required to raise
your pool 1 Degree Fahreheit: 321557 Btu

:scared: and the problem is its in the 50s at the moment and takes at least 2 weeks in the 80s to reach a temp I like (about 77)

Ray Mar 11th 2006 6:14 pm

:scared: and the problem is its in the 50s at the moment and takes at least 2 weeks in the 80s to reach a temp I like (about 77)

Ok!!! a minimum would be a Jandy AE3000 (2 would be nice)

Heat pump $3500
Filter say $300-$400
pumps say 1.5 or 2 hp each $500

Controls..this is where prices can rocket
mine were $2000 but can be done for a lot less without
the auto bits.

valves and auto controls $75 each
Labour ..anybodys guess

Say $9-12k should cover it ...

Angry White Pyjamas Mar 11th 2006 6:42 pm

I use the sea. Its heated for free all year round