Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gas/Electric bill!!!

Gas/Electric bill!!!

Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas/Electric bill!!!

Originally Posted by Steerpike
My friend's tank was almost all corals, with just a few fish for 'added interest' - a puffer maybe, and a few exotic shrimp (plus hermit crabs, star fish, etc). The money was in the corals, though - and they were what totally mesmerized me; they open up and show off at different times of the day. He was a life-long hobbyist, and managed to get the tank 'in balance' so he hardly had to do anything other than scrape the glass. He chose the different 'elements' with a view to their contribution to the 'chemistry' of the tank.
Like you said earlier, that's a reef set-up. I never really got into the whole anemone thing, although I can see the attraction. Clown fish interact with them a lot.
I went more for active fish like clown triggers, octopus, lion fish

Old Jan 27th 2009, 8:29 pm
Boston Sep 15th

starky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud ofstarky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Been pretty good and cheap lately, last bill about $150 in electric, $180 in oil, which is about half of what it was last year.

Mind you, we keep the temp to chip your nipples off cold in our apartment as we can't afford it any higher.
I am moving in to your house! My room mate likes to recreate the feel of a Hot summers day in our two bed first floor apartment. Its only about 800 square feet 4 room apartment, if that and our bills are now pushing $300 a month for the last three months!

Its outrageous, I'd be like you keeping it low, she likes to crank it up to 74 and leaves it running all night!! I really don't like the forced air. Also The electircty bills are up high too as she has to run a humidifier 24/7 as the heating is on all the time and the forced air fans use electricity too.

She is "heating" me out of house and home. What can I do though? I have signed a lease up till March/April, and don't want to get into any rows.

I will be getting my own place soon so that I don't have this problem again next winter. Its such a waist of money. I am trying not to think about it but this thread has made me realize how much money we are waisting when people with 3000 sq feet are paying not much more then us.
I am wondering if she has ever heard of a duvet? all she has on her bed are a few flimsy comforters, no wonder she is cold all night. rant over
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

bugger...just double checked the oil bill, this one due is $225 for 900 gallons, last months was $245 for 990 gallons...it was the month before that it was cheap...but we weren't around for almost a week of that...
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by starky

I will be getting my own place soon so that I don't have this problem again next winter. Its such a waist of money. I am trying not to think about it but this thread has made me realize how much money we are waisting when people with 3000 sq feet are paying not much more then us.
I am wondering if she has ever heard of a duvet? all she has on her bed are a few flimsy comforters, no wonder she is cold all night. rant over
suffocate her and dump her in a snow bank

It does amuse me when people complain about the cold when wearing thin sweaters and the like...well it is the winter...

Just turn the heat down on the dopey bint and if she doesn't like it, tough shit, don't pay the bills...on the plus side, you can't be evicted during the winter months
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Last month our gas & electric was $228. We have gas heating, hot water, fire & cooker and the rest electric. Luckily, we have large south facing windows that let the sun light in to help heat the house.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:16 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she's hoping you'll offer to keep her warm at night
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
bugger...just double checked the oil bill, this one due is $225 for 900 gallons, last months was $245 for 990 gallons...it was the month before that it was cheap...but we weren't around for almost a week of that...
$225 for 900 gallons? Am I missing something here. My tank only holds 300 gallon and I would never use 3X that in a month or have such low prices. I haven't filled up since August but aren't prices $2 something right now?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
$225 for 900 gallons? Am I missing something here. My tank only holds 300 gallon and I would never use 3X that in a month or have such low prices. I haven't filled up since August but aren't prices $2 something right now?
More like $200 for 100 gallons? It is about $2 a gallon at the moment.

I thought we were going to run out of oil the other day. We have a 275 gallon tank and the measure thing said it was on empty. It turned out once it had been refilled that we actually had 40 gallons left, thank god. It was 5F that day.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:17 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
More like $200 for 100 gallons? It is about $2 a gallon at the moment.

I thought we were going to run out of oil the other day. We have a 275 gallon tank and the measure thing said it was on empty. It turned out once it had been refilled that we actually had 40 gallons left, thank god. It was 5F that day.
I moved into my house mid Jan. 07 and the gauge on the tank was broken. The realtor said there was plenty of oil in the tank. just filled and I should be good for at least another month. Well, I ran out less than 2 weeks later...super cold day too. I had no choice but to pay the 'emergency' fee and get a fill up.

Since then I've brought gas into the house and converted my 2 fireplaces to ventless logs. I haven't run out of oil since then (use much less) but I have a backup plan in case I do. I'd get a new (gas) furnace too but the one I have is less than 10 years old and in excellent condition.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

robb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nice

The bill last month was 340.00, the cheapest was 112.00 and that was when we went on vacation and everything was turned off except for the fridge. Average is 250 for electric, no gas or propane. Half of the bill is a "fuel surcharge"

Last edited by robb-46; Jan 29th 2009 at 1:19 am.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

THE FRIDGE IS COSTING U HOW MUCH?? Sod that!!!
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

robb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nicerobb-46 is just really nice

The actual electricy distro charge was 50 bucks the remaining part of the bill was the fuel surcharge.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:32 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

$52 no gas just electric for a 1 bedroom in Manhattan
Old Jan 29th 2009, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving in to your house! My room mate likes to recreate the feel of a Hot summers day in our two bed first floor apartment. Its only about 800 square feet 4 room apartment, if that and our bills are now pushing $300 a month for the last three months!

Its outrageous, I'd be like you keeping it low, she likes to crank it up to 74 and leaves it running all night!! I really don't like the forced air. Also The electircty bills are up high too as she has to run a humidifier 24/7 as the heating is on all the time and the forced air fans use electricity too.

She is "heating" me out of house and home. What can I do though? I have signed a lease up till March/April, and don't want to get into any rows.

Check out these - http://www.amazon.com/MVCX512-Magnet.../dp/B00009W3G4 - they block the vents better than turning those louvres - so you can at least shut off your own room.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

br1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the roughbr1t29 is a jewel in the rough

If your on oil... YOUR NUTS!

Oil/diesel prices are set to skyrocket again in the not to distant future. Time to look into a heatpump! My Mother/Step-dad recently switched to a heat pump, cash outlay is kinda big true, but their already saving $150 a month

Right now I'm at college living with two other guys. We have a cool college townhouse built in the early eighties/late sevnties I think. It has electric forced air, about the most outrageously expensive form of heating there is. Anyway, we keep the place about 62 degrees and we paid about $80 dollars to heat it last month during 20 degree weather. Place is about 1400 square feet. not to bad!

Last edited by br1t29; Jan 29th 2009 at 9:04 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.