GAP year

Old Jul 4th 2005, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default GAP year

My 17 year old daughter has announced that she wants to delay college in the US for a year and volunteer abroad. We have done some initial research online (her school guidance counselor was useless!) and it seems she is eligible to go with a UK based organization as a UK passport holder. She would go in summer 2006, and she favours NZ at the moment. I wondered if anyone had any experience of any of these, being out of the UK for so long makes me feel out of touch! Thanks,

Jan
Old Jul 4th 2005, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GAP year

check out www.bunac.com. They have some overseas things all over the world. Not sure about a whole year though.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janj
My 17 year old daughter has announced that she wants to delay college in the US for a year and volunteer abroad. We have done some initial research online (her school guidance counselor was useless!) and it seems she is eligible to go with a UK based organization as a UK passport holder. She would go in summer 2006, and she favours NZ at the moment. I wondered if anyone had any experience of any of these, being out of the UK for so long makes me feel out of touch! Thanks,

Jan
Its a very popular thing to do in the Uk and very valuable experience in my opinion. Its strange that US students dont do it more although I think they are more into getting an education than anything else. It always surprises me that the US as a whole doesnt put more emphasis on travel and other cultures. Missed opportunity in my opinion.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Drebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of lightDrebin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Its strange that US students dont do it more although I think they are more into getting an education than anything else.
Aren't America not signed up to the whole "work abroad when you're young" visa programme? Might explain why it's not that popular/easy for them to do so.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

Brilliant Idea.

Other than BUNAC the main organisation is CIEE - Council for Educational Exchange - http://www.ciee.org

I did two programmes in the US with them. I also met my husband during this time and here I am here again!

These programmes change your life. Absolutely fantastic.