British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Gap/ Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/gap-health-insurance-751578/)

BKKJames Mar 14th 2012 1:02 pm

Gap/ Health Insurance

Hi guys,

As you may know I'm about to head out to begin my j1 training in California! Excited and nervous all at the same time...

But anyway. My health insurance is through my J-1 sponsoring company but will only begin on April 1st when my employment begins. I'm flying out on 19th March however to get settled into the area (and go to a beach for a day or 2 :).

My question is, can anyone recommend an insurance company for those 15 days I'll be in the country before i begin work and therefore begin my health insurance. I thought I could just get normal travel insurance for the 15 days but DirectLine, Post office say nope!

Any help would be appreciated!

Bob Mar 14th 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Gap/ Health Insurance

There was a couple recommendations I thought in your previous threads? Certainly in the wiki under healthcare.

markwm Mar 14th 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by BKKJames (Post 9952609)
Hi guys,

As you may know I'm about to head out to begin my j1 training in California! Excited and nervous all at the same time...

But anyway. My health insurance is through my J-1 sponsoring company but will only begin on April 1st when my employment begins. I'm flying out on 19th March however to get settled into the area (and go to a beach for a day or 2 :).

My question is, can anyone recommend an insurance company for those 15 days I'll be in the country before i begin work and therefore begin my health insurance. I thought I could just get normal travel insurance for the 15 days but DirectLine, Post office say nope!

Search on Google for expat insurance: probably more than you need but, other than travel insurance, can't see what else you can do. BTW: have found in the past that it is cheaper to buy travel insurance for the entire year than for a single holiday!

SanDiegogirl Mar 14th 2012 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by BKKJames (Post 9952609)
Hi guys,

Nephew of mine came over on a J-1 for "soccer training" program. The J-1 company provided the insurance while on the J-1 and for the three weeks extra in the US, while he was on vacation, he bought straight forward travel insurance.

BKKJames Mar 16th 2012 11:36 am

Thanks everybody for your input.

Unfortunately, no travel insurance companies are willing to insure me for the couple of weeks under normal travel insurance.

However I found go walkabout insurance and they have a one way expatriate insurance policy. I got covered for 17 days and was under £60- quite reasonable I thought.

I've used them before (not to make a claim) but the staff are very helpful and the policy is great- if anyone requires anything similar in the future!

Cheers,

James

SanDiegogirl Mar 16th 2012 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by BKKJames (Post 9956128)
Thanks everybody for your input.

Unfortunately, no travel insurance companies are willing to insure me for the couple of weeks under normal travel insurance.

However I found go walkabout insurance and they have a one way expatriate insurance policy. I got covered for 17 days and was under £60- quite reasonable I thought.

I've used them before (not to make a claim) but the staff are very helpful and the policy is great- if anyone requires anything similar in the future!

Cheers,

James

Did the travel insurance companies say why they were not willing to insure you? I'm just wondering how my nephew managed it.

GeoffM Mar 19th 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 9956557)
Did the travel insurance companies say why they were not willing to insure you? I'm just wondering how my nephew managed it.

I would assume because he's told them he's not travelling and therefore travel insurance won't cover it - not really designed for long working assignments abroad. They're more for short trips where you return to the UK by the end of the policy. Actually they've probably done him a favour because many would be willing to take the money but when it comes to paying up for a claim they'd say that his activities weren't in line with the policy Ts&Cs and thus uninsured.