British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Game Meats? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/game-meats-414144/)

qwerty007 Dec 17th 2006 4:40 pm

Game Meats?

Does anyone know of a supplier of pheasant, boar, venison, stilton, Xmas pud etc in the Los Angeles area?

ironporer Dec 17th 2006 4:48 pm

Re: Game Meats?

Originally Posted by qwerty007
Does anyone know of a supplier of pheasant, boar, venison, stilton, Xmas pud etc in the Los Angeles area?

OK... I know what a phesant, a boar and a deer (venison) are...but I have never had the pleasure to hunt and shoot a Stilton. Does one use a rifle, shotgun or what?

As to your query, remember, Google is your friend.

Toontje Dec 17th 2006 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer

Ms. Dewey is mine..... :rolleyes:

gruffbrown Dec 17th 2006 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
OK... I know what a phesant, a boar and a deer (venison) are...but I have never had the pleasure to hunt and shoot a Stilton. Does one use a rifle, shotgun or what?

Missed him a couple of times, but bagged him in the end.

http://www.jackiechankids.com/Buddy_...ar_400_533.jpg

farmerwife Dec 17th 2006 5:51 pm

Costco gets in some English cheeses at this time of year; better prices than specialty stores. Wensleydale with cranberry, White Stilton, real Cheddar...
Yum!
For venison, how about trying the small butchers in the outlying areas where the hunters take their meat to be processed?
Xmas pud - friendly local Brit shop?

angelman Dec 17th 2006 5:58 pm

i think either gelsons and/or wholefoods has some game in its frozen section. Seems wrong to buy frozen pheasant but beggars cantbe choosers.

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Costco gets in some English cheeses at this time of year; better prices than specialty stores. Wensleydale with cranberry, White Stilton, real Cheddar...
Yum!
For venison, how about trying the small butchers in the outlying areas where the hunters take their meat to be processed?
Xmas pud - friendly local Brit shop?

angelman Dec 17th 2006 6:37 pm

try this
http://losangeles.citysearch.com/yel...156/page1.html

Originally Posted by angelman
i think either gelsons and/or wholefoods has some game in its frozen section. Seems wrong to buy frozen pheasant but beggars cantbe choosers.

gardnma Dec 17th 2006 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=gruffbrown]Missed him a couple of times, but bagged him in the end.

Like the signature.

"....swarmed over, more like" :D

anabella Dec 17th 2006 9:25 pm

Ask at your local supermarket as they might be able to order it for you..

Yesterday I got all excited because I found squid in a supermarket that I hadn't been to before.. so I asked if they have it in stock often or I was just lucky to find it and I was told that I could just ask them to order it for me any time I want it..

Ray Dec 17th 2006 9:45 pm

I can do fresh squirrel to order and even opossum ...

ironporer Dec 17th 2006 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by anabella
Ask at your local supermarket as they might be able to order it for you..

Yesterday I got all excited because I found squid in a supermarket that I hadn't been to before.. so I asked if they have it in stock often or I was just lucky to find it and I was told that I could just ask them to order it for me any time I want it..

Actually, the WalMart in Alabamastan stocked frozen "Calamari", in the frozen fish section. Gotta clean and cut them youtselves tho...

angelman Dec 17th 2006 10:33 pm

cheese is less of a problem.
wholefoods has a very good cheese section. There are numerous great cheese shops too.
I like the one at sunset junction near silverlake. Also the silverlake cheese store is great. There is another good cheese storein beverlyhillstoo.

They all have a good range of neils yard dairy cheese and many more
[QUOTE=gardnma]

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Missed him a couple of times, but bagged him in the end.

Like the signature.

"....swarmed over, more like" :D

Muswell Hill Dec 18th 2006 12:40 am

Try "Trader Joe's". Loads of stuff there, if a bit pricey. You should be able to get all you need there.

Thydney Dec 18th 2006 1:03 am

if you'd only said yesterday :rolleyes: my neighbour's been trapping boar I could have got you one on the hoof. :D

angelman Dec 18th 2006 1:14 am

unless you know something i dont trader joes has a very limited selection of meat. certainly no boar or pheasant.

Originally Posted by Muswell Hill
Try "Trader Joe's". Loads of stuff there, if a bit pricey. You should be able to get all you need there.