Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is Galveston ready for tourists ?

Is Galveston ready for tourists ?

Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough
Default Is Galveston ready for tourists ?

I would like to book a few days at the beach for my family this July and I don't fancy driving for hours. Flying is not an option. I would just like the kids to have a good time playing in the sand and us to relax to the sound of the waves.
I know some people say Galveston's beaches are not very spectacular but I think this is the closest one to Dallas/Plano area. I am just wondering what the place looks like after the last year hurricane. Is it ready for tourists?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:30 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Galveston ready for tourists ?

Originally Posted by Fairy Tales
I would like to book a few days at the beach for my family this July and I don't fancy driving for hours. Flying is not an option. I would just like the kids to have a good time playing in the sand and us to relax to the sound of the waves.
I know some people say Galveston's beaches are not very spectacular but I think this is the closest one to Dallas/Plano area. I am just wondering what the place looks like after the last year hurricane. Is it ready for tourists?
Ah yes, the lovely Galveston beaches! Even before the hurricane, they were scattered with blobs of crude oil, Portuguese Man-O-War jellyfish, stingray barbs and shark teeth.

We were stupid enough to go swimming, and I came within arm's length of a black-tip shark (literally) with my 6-year-old daughter on my shoulders.

Since it's a long drive from Plano to the coast, can I recommend Mustang Island, and Port Aransas in particular, and the wonderful Tarpon Inn even more specifically as a really wonderful destination on the Texas Gulf Coast?

Not full of college kids shagging on the beach like South Padre Island, not a sad leftover like Galveston... just a little fishing port and hippy beach town with the most wonderful 1886 Inn to be found anywhere on the coast! Great seafood, empty beaches, dolphin-watching evening cruises, deep-sea fishing...

If you can, take the Franklin D Roosevelt Presidential Suite. Total luxury straight out of the 1900's, for less money than a damp concrete room in the hateful Holiday Inn in Galveston.

The Tarpon Inn

Last edited by dbj1000; Jun 12th 2009 at 2:35 am.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:32 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

last I heard they were still dragging the swamp for bodies north of the Bolivar Peninsular. Enjoy!
Old Jun 12th 2009, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Ah yes, the lovely Galveston beaches! Even before the hurricane, they were scattered with blobs of crude oil, Portuguese Man-O-War jellyfish, stingray barbs and shark teeth.

We were stupid enough to go swimming, and I came within arm's length of a black-tip shark (literally) with my 6-year-old daughter on my shoulders.

Since it's a long drive from Plano to the coast, can I recommend Mustang Island, and Port Aransas in particular, and the wonderful Tarpon Inn even more specifically as a really wonderful destination on the Texas Gulf Coast?

Not full of college kids shagging on the beach like South Padre Island, not a sad leftover like Galveston... just a little fishing port and hippy beach town with the most wonderful 1886 Inn to be found anywhere on the coast! Great seafood, empty beaches, dolphin-watching evening cruises, deep-sea fishing...

If you can, take the Franklin D Roosevelt Presidential Suite. Total luxury straight out of the 1900's, for less money than a damp concrete room in the hateful Holiday Inn in Galveston.

The Tarpon Inn

Total agreement.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Fairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the roughFairy Tales is a jewel in the rough

OK guys. I get the message. Galveston is out of the picture. Tarpon Inn looks lovely dbj1000. Thank you for that. How long does it take to get there?
I guess we could brake the journey and go to San Antonio. Last year we never made it to the Sea World as on the very day we wanted to go there were some thunderstorms so they closed the park. It was ok to go in the afternoon but we felt that for the money you pay to get there you really want to stay there for the whole day.
Thanks again.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm guessing that the answer to the question is "No" then?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
So, I'm guessing that the answer to the question is "No" then?

I would say yes and no

If you live close by like I do then a quick day out to eat and wander around would be ok. If you are driving 5 or 6 hours then I would say don't bother.

Of course if the OP wants to spend her time at Moody Gardens with the fake beach, rain forest, 3D theater and all their other expencive activities and with Schlitterbahn close by then she might enjoy Galveston.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond reputebevinva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

The Tarpon Inn
That place looks lovely, bit of a drive for me though.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:04 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

OK guys. I get the message. Galveston is out of the picture. Tarpon Inn looks lovely dbj1000. Thank you for that. How long does it take to get there?
I guess we could brake the journey and go to San Antonio. Last year we never made it to the Sea World as on the very day we wanted to go there were some thunderstorms so they closed the park. It was ok to go in the afternoon but we felt that for the money you pay to get there you really want to stay there for the whole day.
Thanks again.
It's been a while since we last went, but Google Maps tells me that it takes between 7.5 and 10 hours, depending on what route you take. We typically leave before dawn and take it in turns driving while the rest of the family sleeps.

I took my daughters to Sea World San Antonio last year, and it was really, REALLY good fun. I've been at least 10 times in my life to various Sea Worlds in the US, but this most recent trip was the best fun. You definitely need a whole day, so breaking your trip there sounds like a good idea. Get there before the gates open, and hit the big rides and shows before the crowds and lines get too much.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:48 am
Just Joined

judyjudy is an unknown quantity at this point

What about the jellyfish? er...the "portuguese man of war"... when are they the worst? I have heard that they can really be bad in July in August. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by judyjudy
What about the jellyfish? er...the "portuguese man of war"... when are they the worst? I have heard that they can really be bad in July in August. Does anyone know if that's true?

It can be anytime. If you check local news reports there is usually warnings when they are bad. It's really a matter of pure luck in my opinion, but I think a lot of it depends on the weather and the tides.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:00 pm
Arrogant ****

Welcome to BE Judy. So, are you in Texas?
Old Jun 15th 2009, 2:52 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

the "portuguese man of war"... when are they the worst?
when they rub up your leg.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Cool. Booked Tarpon Inn for anniversary...Amazing value rooms. Looking forward to it. No suites left for our couple of days though sadly.

Doug.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:24 pm
Arrogant ****

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Cool. Booked Tarpon Inn for anniversary...Amazing value rooms. Looking forward to it. No suites left for our couple of days though sadly.

Doug.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. It's a lovely little place.

Take one of the sunset dolphin boat tours. Get the boat over to Bass Island and go beachcombing along isolated beaches. Go sea fishing. Or be Texan, and drive your SUV at 100mph along the beaches further along the coast!