Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gaaah! Employers!!

Gaaah! Employers!!

Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaaah! Employers!!

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would they not have assumed you would have it on you?
One might think, since it's the law.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
My OH did decide, against my better judgment, to carry his green card with him in his wallet. My overwhelming concern was that his wallet would be stolen and we all know how difficult it would be to replace a PR card. That reason alone is most likely the number one reason why PRs do not carry the card on them, and I don't blame them one bit.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A good point

But I think we all did in the early days, and I still do when I think I might need it.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
My OH did decide, against my better judgment, to carry his green card with him in his wallet. My overwhelming concern was that his wallet would be stolen and we all know how difficult it would be to replace a PR card. That reason alone is most likely the number one reason why PRs do not carry the card on them, and I don't blame them one bit.
Too worried about the green card, put it in a front pocket or elsewhere not in the wallet. Every day you carry around pretty much everything anyone would need to steal your identity, license, bank cards, credit cards, Social Security card etc., and you still do it. But, I'll agree with boiler, take it when the situation says you might need it. Like a job interview.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:39 am

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

It's certainly a worry. I still carry mine, for now, but I dread to think what nightmares might ensue if I lost it.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:38 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there a poll on how many people actually bother to carry their Green Card, or am I confusing this with something else? (Might have been a while ago).

I'll openly admit that the fact that the law states that I should carry my GC has no bearing on my decision as to whether I carry it or not - more the points of practicality around space in my wallet and inconvenience in case of loss.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:42 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would they not have assumed you would have it on you?
Come off it! You're bloody joking!

A) What percentage of employers are going to know about this law?
B) If we're assuming that they knew all about the law then they wouldn't be demanding to see a GC if they already had all the necessary documentation in front of them!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:01 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

When I eventually get my GC, I'll proudly show it to anyone who wants to take a look (and probably to several people that don't).
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Surely when you are going for a job you obey the un-written number one rule at an interview - (within reason) the answer is always 'yes'!

Q: Are you willing to work overtime & weekends?
A: 'No f**** way' you are thinking but you smile as you say 'sure'

Q: Can we see your Green Card to prove you are legal to work?
A: Sure - here it is

You can always turn a job offer down if (after reflection) you really don't want it. If you have no other offers on the horizon then a crappy sounding job can be a lot better than nothing - especially if it is your 1st one in the USA.

Whatever - good luck!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:46 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

DH wasn't asked for his when he got his job, but he didn't have it yet either. He voluntarily gave his employer a copy of it when he got it and a copy of his 10-year when he got that one. I don't know what the big deal is. . . especially if the company's hiring agent doesn't do a lot of "foreign" hiring.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I don't know what the big deal is. . . especially if the company's hiring agent doesn't do a lot of "foreign" hiring.
The problem is, is that the law says the employer cannot specify to the employee what documents to show to fulfill the I-9 requirements. So, if I was a PR & all I wanted to show was my driver's license and 'normal' SS card for the I-9, then the company cannot legally ask to have a copy of my PR card as well, because I have already shown them docs that fulfill the I-9 req'ts. It's a technicality of the law.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So, if I was a PR & all I wanted to show was my driver's license and 'normal' SS card for the I-9, then the company cannot legally ask to have a copy of my PR card as well, because I have already shown them docs that fulfill the I-9 req'ts. It's a technicality of the law.
Fair enough - but I don't think you'd be doing yourself any favours at all by quoting some technicality that proves you don't have to show documentation that the employer is asking for.

I guess if you are going for a job as a lawyer then it could help your cause but otherwise I could imagine you getting dumped to the bottom of the pile pretty quickly.

Sorry - but technical laws & the real world are 2 totally different things.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Fair enough - but I don't think you'd be doing yourself any favours at all by quoting some technicality that proves you don't have to show documentation that the employer is asking for.

I guess if you are going for a job as a lawyer then it could help your cause but otherwise I could imagine you getting dumped to the bottom of the pile pretty quickly.

They've already made you the job offer at that point though, and you've fulfilled the I-9 requirements...them asking for the GC after the fact and then terminating you will get a lawsuit on to them.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:31 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by TimberHut

Not sure that anyone's advocating refusing to show. I see two positions on this thread:

a) You should be carrying it anyway as that's what the law says. It's ok for employer to ask (regardless of the law) and that shouldn't cause a problem becuase you should be carrying it.

b) It's daft carrying your GC round all the time (regardless of the law). Better to keep it safe at home etc. Therefore minor pain in the arse if new employer asks for it especially as they shouldn't be doing so anyway.

Some of us subscribe to position (a) and some to position (b). I'm with (b) as I often put my own interpretation of common sense before the law anyway (a little bit of anarchy never really hurt anyone) but I can't really argue with point (a) unless anyone starts to try telling me I'm wrong.

Right - I heard on the grapevine there's a thread about paint drying in the Dingo section so off for a butchers there...
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Too worried about the green card, put it in a front pocket or elsewhere not in the wallet. Every day you carry around pretty much everything anyone would need to steal your identity, license, bank cards, credit cards, Social Security card etc., and you still do it. But, I'll agree with boiler, take it when the situation says you might need it. Like a job interview.
If ICE turn up to your place of work and you don't have it you'll be sent home to get it!

Speaking from experience here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.