Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Gaaah! Employers!!

Gaaah! Employers!!

Old Apr 4th 2010, 6:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaaah! Employers!!

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
He's eligible.

But money's been a little tight (no working on the cute little house either).

And it's his decision at the end of the day too.
Ah.

Well I hope the new job is everything he'd hoped (for now) and the GC thing doesn't keep him from enjoying it.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tannedsilk
You would think they would know that wouldn't you.

I had a similar experience when I first arrived - 5 years ago. I called an agency about a hour away from my home because they had a job on their website. I had emailed my CV, but I had to register before I they could send my info to the employer. I specifically asked what I docs I needed to register with them, she said DL/SS# card - so off I go when I get there they wanted
the GC also - which I did not bring (as they did not ask for it).

PO to no end especially when she tells me I didn't know you were not American - not only did we speak at length on the phone she had my CV that stated I had just relocated from London, England, UK.

Add insult to injury they would not accept a fax copy, they insisted on having the original and coping it themselves.

Needless to say I never went back.
I just wondered as you are not supposed to go anywhere without your GC, why didn't you have it with you????
Old Apr 4th 2010, 11:58 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulycarts
I just wondered as you are not supposed to go anywhere without your GC, why didn't you have it with you????
Because (almost) nobody actually carries their GC around with them, perhaps?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

GC was the first thing I took to a new employer. I keep mine with my DL.

Odd that you would not have it with you for a new job.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Tannedsilk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Paulycarts
The reason why is irrelevant - I specifically asked what they needed from me and they omitted the GC - although I should have had it I did not. My point was to reply to the OP about regarding her expectation, and mine, that the employer would advise the alien accordingly. It has since been pointed out that they are prohibited to do so.

Also as someone already pointed out many people don't carry their GC with them - legal requirement or not.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
GC was the first thing I took to a new employer. I keep mine with my DL.

Odd that you would not have it with you for a new job.

Not really when you are applying for your first job in a new country, and you ask the agency what docs you need to bring and they tell you everything but the GC.

Again my post was in agreement with the OP using my situation as a example.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

A green card is clearly more difficult to forge than a Social Security card. If I was an employer, I would ask for it too, to protect myself. I fail to see why it is such an inconvenience. If the law says you should carry it at all times, and you don't, and as a result do not have it when needed, you get no sympathy. By failing to carry it, you violated the law.

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 5th 2010 at 2:46 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dakota44
A green card is clearly more difficult to forge than a Social Security card. If I was an employer, I would ask for it too, to protect myself. I fail to see why it is such an inconvenience. If the law says you should carry it at all times, and you don't, and as a result do not have it when needed, you get no sympathy. By failing to carry it, you violated the law.
I forgot the law never gets violated.

Not looking for sympathy just relating my experience. Why is it so upsetting that I didn't have my GC? - it only effected me.

Last edited by Tannedsilk; Apr 5th 2010 at 2:58 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:00 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

A green card is clearly more difficult to forge than a Social Security card. If I was an employer, I would ask for it too, to protect myself.
And how would you respond if the new employee declines, bearing in mind you had no right to demand this in the first place?

I fail to see why it is such an inconvenience. If the law says you should carry it at all times, and you don't, and as a result do not have it when needed, you get no sympathy.
It wasn't needed. There was a valid I9 with all appropriate documentation.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

NM
My OH and step daughters carry their green cards whenever they go out. For someone to complain that a potential employer is unreasonable and violating the law by asking for it, while the offended person is in violation of the law by not having it with them, is to me a lot of wah wah wah for nothing. Carry the damn green card as required. I'm cranky tonight. And besides, until you've dealt with Peruvian bureaucracy you've no clue what inconvenience is.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tonrob
And how would you respond if the new employee declines, bearing in mind you had no right to demand this in the first place?

It wasn't needed. There was a valid I9 with all appropriate documentation.
I think my objection is to the fact that the OP was in violation of the law. Makes it less sympathetic in my view. Of course, if in possession and not desiring to present it, they could merely point to the instruction at the top of the form that prohibits the employer from specifying which documents they will accept. Of course, that might rub the interviewer the wrong way and result in no job. But hey. Each to their own. Then they could always report them and they could deny it and voila...waste of time.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I forgot the law never gets violated.

Not looking for sympathy just relating my experience. Why is it so upsetting that I didn't have my GC? - it only effected me.
Frankly I am not really concerned that you do not carry it. That is your choice. But to then complain that someone did what you did, which was violate the law, seems somehow wrong headed. I really don't mean any offense to you. When I go to do anything that requires documentation, I always err on the side of caution and overload with it. Nothing worse than putting in time for nothing. The form specifically list the permanent resident card as a potential form of ID, so why not take it?

Last edited by dakota44; Apr 5th 2010 at 3:09 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Frankly I am not really concerned that you do not carry it. That is your choice. But to then complain that someone did what you did, which was violate the law, seems somehow wrong headed. I rally don;t mean any offense to you. When I go to do anything that requires documentation, I always err on the side of caution and overload with it. Nothing worse than putting in time for nothing. The form specifically list the permanent resident card as a potential form of ID, so why not take it?
Suggest you read my posts again.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Suggest you read my posts again.
Sorry, confused you with the OP. My mistake
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not really when you are applying for your first job in a new country, and you ask the agency what docs you need to bring and they tell you everything but the GC.

Again my post was in agreement with the OP using my situation as a example.
Would they not have assumed you would have it on you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.