Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

G/C where is it valid?

G/C where is it valid?

Old Nov 12th 2006, 3:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: G/C where is it valid?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Poppy - the important thing for you guys to realise is that you will probably find it easier to live and work in Bermuda than your husband (I am assuming you are a Brit and he is a USC).

But the Immigration website Jenney mentioned probably has the specific answers you need.
Yes I have found some information on the Immigration site.

EXCEPTIONS

Visa controlled nationals who:

· have the right to reside in the United States (Permanent Resident), Canada (Permanent Resident) or the United Kingdom (no limit on stay in the United Kingdom); and

· are in possession of proof of such status and a valid passport;

do not require Bermuda entry visas.

Thats a start Thanks all.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Bermuda a few weeks ago. Its a beautiful island but I wouldn't want to live there. Too quiet and isolated for my liking.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:21 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest that you look into getting US citizenship as soon as you're eligible for it, if this is going to be a recurring theme with your OH. As mentioned above, you can lose your GC by moving abroad, but you wouldn't lose US citizenship.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 4:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Yes I have found some information on the Immigration site.

EXCEPTIONS

Visa controlled nationals who:

· have the right to reside in the United States (Permanent Resident), Canada (Permanent Resident) or the United Kingdom (no limit on stay in the United Kingdom); and

· are in possession of proof of such status and a valid passport;

do not require Bermuda entry visas.

Thats a start Thanks all.
That means you don't need a visa to enter as a visitor, ie on holiday. You mention Canada...just because it's part of the British Commonwealth it doesn't entitle you as a Brit to live and work there...you have to go through the normal immigration channels.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

The whole point of this thread was to ask if a GC is valid in Bermuda ?
It has no value or entitlement in Bermuda ! .... Bermuda is not a US controled country ............. IT IS BRITISH FFS !
As has been pointed out several times.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
As Raymondo pointed out Bermuda is British overseas territory .. so by rights you should infact have more rights there than a USC.
In fact Bermuda, as a British Overseas Territory, has full control over its own immigration laws. British citizens who do not have "Bermuda status" have no rights to live there.

In fact, getting permanent residence or citizenship in Bermuda is extremely difficult.
http://www.bermuda-online.org/citizenship.htm

A warning about British overseas territory immigration laws is printed in British passports, as far as I know. The only fairly open ones are Gibraltar (which is part of the EU) and the Falkland Islands (for those with the right skill and personal profile to build the islands economy).
Old Nov 12th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

I went to Bermuda once....it's an amazing Island but I wouldn't want to live there. The island is extremley expensive (they have to import everything) so nearly all groceries were at least double the price compared to the exact same items in the US....just a word of caution in case you're being offered what appears to be a very high salary. From what I gathered when I was over there, the average salary of a civil servant in Bermuda is around $70,000 (really what u need to make just to survive over there).

As for US Citizens having more rights than UK Citizens....I was surprised to find out that US passport holders are granted more days to stay in Bermuda than UK passport holders. Also, US Citizens have the right to use their own money there. I Thought that UK Citizens would get some perks....but apparently we don't. Forget about permanently residing there regardless of US/ UK citizenship, last I checked there was no such thing as a Bermudian "green card" and after approx. 6-7 years you must leave, regardless of the needs of your Bermudian employer.

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Surely a GC is only for US use, Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and everywhere except Puerto Ricco would need your passport for entry if you are not a US citizen ............. All the green card does is get you back into the USA.

As Raymondo pointed out Bermuda is British overseas territory .. so by rights you should infact have more rights there than a USC.

Last edited by deng890; Nov 12th 2006 at 8:13 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 9:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thread of the day this
Old Nov 12th 2006, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thread of the day this
Silliest, at least

I'd like to move to Russia. I'd better go to the Chinese Embassy to get myself a Visa.