Reload this Page >

FYI regarding wills and estates

FYI regarding wills and estates

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FYI regarding wills and estates

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

This should be sorted out with the insurance company first. If you inadvertently create a conflict with directives, it could take ages to sort out - an no money at all will be disbursed until the case is settled which could take many years.

Ian
I'm going to see if the attorney will advise about the trust, as the insurance company won't tell me anything. They won't even tell me what other products they offer (as in, can I just buy a policy on my husband, then no trust is needed) unless I go through the process of giving them my info all over for a quote, and I just want to know what they sell.

I don't know a way around the trust filing nightmares for the life insurance unless we set an attorney here as the trustee. I would at least have myself as the beneficiary and the trustee, and so I'd have the filing woes. We don't know anyone we could ask to be trustee who isn't either American or a dual citizen, so they'd still have US reporting issues. The other alternative is not to set a trust at all and leave the life insurance as it is now, wherein it pays out to my husband's estate should he die.

This is all getting very stressful, and I'm not certain we might not be better off just leaving things as they are with no will and no trust on the life insurance. But it seems like we'd probably be better off with at least a will? It's just unfortunate that I only realized recently that the policy would be better off with a will or trust, and it just happens to come when everything else is hitting us -- ill MIL that hubby and maybe I as well will have to go stay with for an extended period next month (probably two extended periods this year), another family member passed away a few days ago, we've got ILR-related stuff to do this year, etc. I want things sorted as far as what happens if one of us dies (I always think about that sort of thing when we have to travel), but am not sure if I'm just making things more difficult by trying to get them sorted, or if I'm really taking care of something that needs to be done.

Last edited by Dazey; Aug 3rd 2011 at 6:31 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Dazey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FYI regarding wills and estates

Just got back from the lawyer's office, feel better about everything. The main concern was dealing with the life insurance and whether or not to do a trust. The lawyer said it wasn't really necessary in this case, and we're pretty settled on who we want to be executors (just have to call and check with them). So I think all is taken care of.