Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FYI Credit Card Transactions Jan 2006 in UK

FYI Credit Card Transactions Jan 2006 in UK

Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

HappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to allHappyHammer is a name known to all
Default FYI Credit Card Transactions Jan 2006 in UK

I just came back from England. If (like me) you have kept your UK Credit Card and use that when you go back be prepared. From 2006 you will need to have a PIN number. No matter where you go, the pub, shops, garage, ticket station, if you use your credit card they will swipe it and then you will be presented with a POS (Point Of Sale) Device and be asked to type in your PIN.
You can still get away it now, because the check out girl or whoever have been told to ask you if you have a PIN number or not, but from Jan 2006 if you don't you're gonna be in a bit of bother.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:30 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FYI Credit Card Transactions Jan 2006 in UK

Originally Posted by HappyHammer
I just came back from England. If (like me) you have kept your UK Credit Card and use that when you go back be prepared. From 2006 you will need to have a PIN number. No matter where you go, the pub, shops, garage, ticket station, if you use your credit card they will swipe it and then you will be presented with a POS (Point Of Sale) Device and be asked to type in your PIN.
You can still get away it now, because the check out girl or whoever have been told to ask you if you have a PIN number or not, but from Jan 2006 if you don't you're gonna be in a bit of bother.

Hmm, shouldnt our UK banks be letting us know about this?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Sasoozie will become famous soon enoughSasoozie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chorlton
for most of winter 2004 through spring 2005, when receiving your bank statements there was a leaflet in there explaining the new chip and pin system. There were also numerous TV Adverts. If you've set your preferences to not receive paper statements or have not had them diverted to your US address, then you will have missed seeing them

Anyone that had an old, non smart chipped card (debit and credit) was sent a new style card.

If you have an internet bank account they will have written about it in their newsletters, but alot of people set their preferences to not receive those.

I guess they were aiming the message at people based in the UK as that's where they expect their clientele to be...
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:42 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I have online banking and got a new card way back - at that time I had to set up a PIN for it. I wasn't entirely aware of why until the beginning of this year when it all started happening (probably because I didn't read the stuff that came with the card). However, even though I have a PIN it always automatically got me to sign rather than enter the PIN when I used it.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

traceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to alltraceyparker1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neil
I have online banking and got a new card way back - at that time I had to set up a PIN for it. I wasn't entirely aware of why until the beginning of this year when it all started happening (probably because I didn't read the stuff that came with the card). However, even though I have a PIN it always automatically got me to sign rather than enter the PIN when I used it.
What if you use your UK credit card overseas? Do you still need the pin number? I vaguely remember my mom mentioning this a while back but obviously blanked it out...
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

There has been mailing overload about this in the UK for the last 2 years now. If you get mailings from your bank then you should have seen it in the post.

It was supposed to go live in January 2005 but technology meant a delay. All tills in UK now have pin machines to type in but at the moment most places will let you over-ride if you dont know it.

Your debit card and credit card PIN will be the same but if you have forgotten, or like me never used them, set them up before you head back to save any pain. Many, like Egg, will do this on-line.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by traceyparker1
What if you use your UK credit card overseas? Do you still need the pin number? I vaguely remember my mom mentioning this a while back but obviously blanked it out...

No as this is a UK based thing at the moment. France use the same thing and have done for years so you can use PIN there. In the US you dont as it is linked to chip technology which isn't really in place here yet.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:59 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil

Oh shit, me too. I have the card - probably didnt set up a pin
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:24 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Oh shit, me too. I have the card - probably didnt set up a pin

No big deal - just ring them and they'll send you one.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

NeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud ofNeilW has much to be proud of

I was in the UK at the start of the year when they started phasing it in and was amazed at how quickly every store moved over to it. It does seem a much safer system as unlike in the states you don't need a photo ID to use the credit card and there were many times that the shop assistant didn't check my signature. Plus there's the benefit of more safety using cards online where you can't sign anything.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 9:50 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I recieved a PIN from Barclaycard a couple of weeks ago, followed a week later by a new card, complete with info/instructions. But only got it because my card old expires next month. I imagine all cc companies will hono(u)r old cards till you get them replaced. Now, where did I put that PIN notice!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:12 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

This pin thing is a big con to entice people into using their credit cards for cash advances. Most people never request a pin for their cc and so in a moment of weakness you won't use it to withdraw a few quid from the atm as you have no pin.
Now people will do this more often and the rates for cash advances are bordering on illegal.
A much better way to ensure a secure system would be to put everyone's picture on their card or to link the system in such a way that when the card is swipped that the registered users picture is sent to the vendor as proff - they can then compare the pic on file or on the card with the customer standing at the register.
Technologically the cost involved would not be much more than the chip and pin cost - in fact the picture actually on the card would cost virtually nothing to impliment.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICHJEN
I recieved a PIN from Barclaycard a couple of weeks ago, followed a week later by a new card, complete with info/instructions. But only got it because my card old expires next month. I imagine all cc companies will hono(u)r old cards till you get them replaced. Now, where did I put that PIN notice!!!

Once the system goes 100% pin and chip the old cards wont be accepted - but the credit card companies should have replaced all their cards by then! Barclaycards have had the technology for a while so your old one was probably compatible assuming you knew the PIN
Old Nov 16th 2005, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting how the UK seems to be trying to put measures in place to cut down on credit card fraud yet I just got my new ATM card here which has the wonderful feature of just tapping it on a pay pad, no PIN, no signature under a certain amount. Not too happy about it really.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HappyHammer

Just had some blurb from Egg - its from Feb 2006 - sorry i am being pedantic, but it means a month's grace!!